Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What shocks me about this whole sterling situation...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

What shocks me about this whole sterling situation...

Apr 29, 2014, 9:32 PM

Is just how much the PRIVATE comments of one miserable old man have effected an entire race. I've seen and heard comments all day about how now that sterling has been banned they can begin to "regroup" and can "recover".

Maybe I'm out of line for commenting on this as a white male but I just don't see why we get so up in arms about private comments from a single person.

One more thing, I still can't figure out how the NBA so swiftly acted... These comments made have not yet been proven to be starlings actual voice. At this point, it's still "alleged". Kobe Bryant continued to play freely while he "allegedly" raped a woman. I just don't get it.

I love being an American but it seems that we continue a downward spiral and are way too easily offended and hang on every word someone says.

Was sterling wrong, yes. Do I support him, no. But I just think this has been incredibly overplayed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What shocks me about this whole sterling situation...

Apr 29, 2014, 9:42 PM

Kobe and his sexual assault. Kobe used a gay slur against a referee in public. Just a slap on the wrist. Donald sterling is dumb and it cost him 2.5 million. Of course now they will make him sell the team. That billion dollar sale will pay a bunch of 2.5 million dollar fines.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is wrong to trick someone who trusts you, record what

Apr 29, 2014, 9:43 PM

they believe to be a private conversation, then expose it to the public. It's wrong. Of course, it's also wrong to give the ##### to a married man in exchange for money and then be hurt when you find out he's an a$$hole. It's also stupid.

Supposedly, Sterling has admitted it was his voice. That probably makes him a racist, and I don't see how the NBA banning a racist owner is overplaying anything. You can't put that cat back in the bag, even if it was a private conversation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It is wrong to trick someone who trusts you, record what

Apr 29, 2014, 9:46 PM

I am probably going to get banned or something, but this is the same sad retoric that assumes all racists are white. Is it impossible to beleive that ther may be non-white racists in the NBA? Ban them? I doubt that would get much support.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100% - all racists are not white, and racists of all

Apr 29, 2014, 9:50 PM

races and ethnicities should face the same scorn. I'd love to see it.

That in no way minimizes or excuses what Sterling has said and done. He was wrong and I think the NBA did the right thing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I agree 100% - all racists are not white, and racists of all

Apr 29, 2014, 9:58 PM

I do not diagree with you and did not mean to sound that way. Just hoping that we can all see the big picture. Mine is that I have a wife, daughter and a God that loves me. I have so much more than I deserve.

Now that is something that I 100% agree with...

Apr 29, 2014, 10:03 PM

I don't deserve the wonderful life and things I have!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cool - agreed.***

Apr 29, 2014, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree 100% - all racists are not white, and racists of all ]

- H. L. Mencken

What does that have to do with anything?

Apr 29, 2014, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: It is wrong to trick someone who trusts you, record what ]

What bearing does that have on this situation? None whatsoever.

Why do you feel compelled to defend him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is wrong to trick someone who trusts you, record what

Apr 29, 2014, 9:48 PM [ in reply to It is wrong to trick someone who trusts you, record what ]

Probably makes him a racist? No doubt about it.
He is an idiot. Thinks he makes the games. Yep, all those fans are their to see what he made. good riddance.

Did he do something illegal or make a business decision

Apr 30, 2014, 11:36 AM [ in reply to It is wrong to trick someone who trusts you, record what ]

or create a disadvantage for any individual of another race? Or did he merely have opinions/beliefs (however right or wrong) and get recorded stating those beliefs? What grounds does the NBA have for making such a punishment? Sure, he might be a racist, but until he acts upon his prejudice, he has not wronged anyone and it is wrong to punish him for it.

Extend this argument to people with same sex attraction. Had his comments been against that, would he get pushed out of his job and banned from the NBA? I would like to hope not, but as most LBGT supporters would have you think, having beliefs against unnatural orientation is the same...

I agree that it could be a slippery slope but

Apr 30, 2014, 1:01 PM

How can you say no one was wronged? Maybe not physically, but to talk about an entire race like that... it's beyond hateful. It's sick. Yes people are allowed to have their own opinion. But are we supposed to act like it's ok to hate a race like he does? What part of that is ok? That kind of thinking NEEDS to be discouraged. Don't you think it's wrong to think that way?

It's in the NBA's rights, 100%, to lay down this type of punishment. Though the comments were private, they were made public. The NBA cannot allow comments from their owners like that to go unpunished. Fans, players, and coaches would have protested Clippers games until something was done anyways. What do you think the NBA should have done? They didn't have a choice.

Apr 29, 2014, 9:43 PM

At this point the count shows that 17 people have read your post, but no one has replied. Had one of the uncountless offended read it, they surely would have called you out as a racist, so I must assume that to this point, the 17 agree, but fear to comment. I support everything that you say. The old man may or may not be an old fool, but society needs to get over this type of senseless crap. His words don't prove anything about whites, blacks or any other group in this world, but the press loves the attention they get from these stories. I know, I know, this is a Clemson sports forum, but..... I am not pro Sterling (I coulndn't care less), but I do wish we could live in a world where the press doesn't pour gas on everything that someone fins offense in. (There, I used a sports term: Offense!)

Well said, Easley and Wrangler.....

Apr 29, 2014, 10:04 PM

political correctness will lead to our doom far more quickly than intolerant, old billionaires.

The press didn't do anything to him. That is silly. He did

Apr 29, 2014, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: What shocks me about this whole sterling situation... ]

it all to himself.

What I don't get is why anyone would be surprised that the NBA wants him out ASAP and why anyone would get defensive about it or try to defend him in any way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why did they have him in in the first place, he has a track

Apr 30, 2014, 12:30 PM

record, The NAALCP was about to give him a Lifetime Achievement Award. MONEY.

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Apr 29, 2014, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: What shocks me about this whole sterling situation... ]

AMEN, brother

Sterling is a bonified Ahole. Dispicable man

Apr 29, 2014, 9:47 PM

But he has every right to be a jerk in his own house.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

He certainly does

Apr 30, 2014, 1:02 PM

And the NBA has every right to disassociate themselves with someone so hateful and sick.

He admitted it was his voice. Sorry.***

Apr 29, 2014, 9:51 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel absolutely no urge to defend that man. Why would

Apr 29, 2014, 10:08 PM

anyone feel compelled to do so?

Larry Johnson

Apr 29, 2014, 10:10 PM

Someone said they'd be equally vigilant about persecuting a racist that isn't white, there's your chance.

Larry Johnson wants an all-black basketball league.

GO!

You mad bro? Not sure why you are so defensive.

Apr 29, 2014, 10:15 PM

Did you have some skin in this game?

Re: You mad bro? Not sure why you are so defensive.

Apr 29, 2014, 10:24 PM

Referencing Smiling Tiger
"races and ethnicities should face the same scorn. I'd love to see it."

Not you. Sorry

WHy do white guys get so defensive when a white guy is

Apr 29, 2014, 10:26 PM

outed as an ignorant racist?

To be clear (since my name was referenced) - I am in

Apr 29, 2014, 11:04 PM

no way defensive because a white guy was outed as a racist. I have repeatedly stressed that the NBA did the right thing here and there is absolutely no defending a pr1ck like Sterling or his comments. Sterling and his racism is the story here - everything else is a side issue for now.

However, racism in general is THE overriding, ongoing issue, and it must be addressed with equal scorn wherever, whenever it occurs, regardless of who is spewing it. That's not being defensive.

- H. L. Mencken

My comments were directed at those who defend

Apr 30, 2014, 10:36 AM

the man in any way and act like he was treated unfairly and go "yeah, but what about all those black people that are racists?" or other obfuscations and in general people who feel compelled to defend him as though they felt obligated because they share some common trait or bond with the man. Like any of us might defend a Clemson player, family member, etc out of some sense of obligation or common thread with the wrongdoer.

I don't feel any "kinship" to him and have no desire to defend him and don't understand why anyone else would.

I didn't feel like my comments were directed at you. You are one of the more reasonable members of Tigernet and I often agree with you.

I know - and I appreciate that. I just didn't feel that

Apr 30, 2014, 11:09 AM

Calvin Coolest was being defensive necessarily, or defending Sterling; I think he has a legitimate point.

You touch a good point, one that I've tried to stress as well, that it's easy to get caught up in all of the "obfuscations" that at the very least look like attempts to dodge the fact that Sterling was wrong and there is absolutely no defending him. I'm just trying to look past that and consider each post and point on it's own merits, and I think CC made a legitimate one here.

I always enjoy your posts as well - no hard feelings!

- H. L. Mencken

It's not about the man.

Apr 29, 2014, 10:26 PM [ in reply to I feel absolutely no urge to defend that man. Why would ]

Could care less about the jerk.

But he didn't say anything that warranted a lifetime ban. Sets a bad precedent. So now anyone says anything wrong about race will get lifetime bans too?

It's a problem that permeates through society, in our communities, schools and neighborhoods. One day people are going to cry racism so much there will end being an all out war.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

It is about the man. Not a society. Not a race.

Apr 29, 2014, 10:28 PM

Just him. Nothing more.

You couldn't be more wrong. The issue is the reaction to

Apr 29, 2014, 11:37 PM

The man, not the man, nobody likes him, we are over that.

It's not about defending the man it's so much bigger***

Apr 29, 2014, 11:36 PM [ in reply to I feel absolutely no urge to defend that man. Why would ]

What does this have to do with Tiger Football?***

Apr 29, 2014, 10:16 PM

Apr 29, 2014, 10:27 PM

Maybe I look at this differently, but this is the owner of an organization telling his gf not to be seen associating with African-Americans and to not bring them to any games, all the while employing a large number of African-Americans throughout the org. In addition, he has multiple issues previously showing a history of discrimination based on ethnicity. Add to that is an org that wants to promote the team to a wide range of fans, including African-Americans, the same group he does not want his gf bringing to games. Has he not just created a hostile workplace, as well as sending the organizations ability to draw in employees and fans crashing to the ground?

People are free to express their thoughts, private and public, but that does not mean that repercussions cannot occur based on his statements. I think it is short sighted to think this has impacted only one race, as it seems like it has stirred up a large percentage of the population. Sterling has owned up that this is his voice, and the NBA needed to take quick action against one of the leaders of the NBA before even worse reactions occurred. The owners control the league, and as such bear more responsibility as compared to an individual player/employee.

I think this sums this up...

Apr 29, 2014, 11:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_guilt

It's absurd. It was between him and his black gf, the irony

Apr 29, 2014, 11:34 PM

Of ironies. A guy with a black gf is sent to the camps for their private argument because it was out of line with the modern day Gestapo.

Keep in mind this on the heals of a CEO being forced out for giving money to an anti gay marriage campaign 6 Yeats ago......and the heated case over the racist michigan affirmative action laws.

Re: It's absurd. It was between him and his black gf, the irony

Apr 29, 2014, 11:37 PM

Heil PC!

or the fact that he has black bball players, a black coach,

Apr 30, 2014, 12:03 PM

and probably numerous other black employees...

Sterling admitted the voice on the tape was his....

Apr 30, 2014, 8:31 AM

and that he did, in fact, make those comments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic