Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is Alabama's QB experiment had failed?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

What is Alabama's QB experiment had failed?

Jan 9, 2018, 3:53 PM

And it easily could have.

You would have lost the game, humiliated your #1 QB and possibly scared the brakes off the second guy.

I commend Saban for doing it. He was desperate. It worked. But it might not have.

It was also combined with an O-line that played better than ours and receivers who fought tooth and nail to catch the ball.

Take KB out and put their #2 behind our Oline and with our receivers and I think we still lose that game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is Alabama's QB experiment had failed?

Jan 9, 2018, 3:59 PM

So what if it had failed, they were already losing and it was the last game of the season.

I would say anytime you reach the win or go home point in a season if what you are doing simply isn’t working and you are losing, there is absolutely no reason not to try it.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:02 PM

According to the"Legend in his own Mind" Walt Deptula, He knew it all along.In fact, he said he knew it as far back as the Spring game, which Walt watched-How do we know that?He said so-and said that Saben had no choice so Walt, not Nick, knew it was going to work and this freshman saved the day, or was it the night for The Tide.
Wow, and to think I would not have known it if Walt hadn't told me while I was driving home, gagging on a cold hot dog and stale bun from some cheap roadside convenience store.

Walt is the smartest man in the room.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:19 PM

If you don’t believe me, just ask him.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: What is Alabama's QB experiment had failed? ]

I don't really care for Walt because he never owns up to being wrong and has a way out when he is (if they do this or if this happens), but he did mention Tua in the fall and said he gave them a better passing option.

So, give the devil his due, but he's still a giant d bag.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saban had no choice - Hurts can't pass...........

Jan 9, 2018, 4:03 PM

worth a #### and their running game was going nowhere.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:16 PM

Clemson's Oline was so poor last week, I don't think it would have made a difference if DW4 was in there. And the Tiger receivers did not separate themselves, making it doubly difficult for KB to accomplish anything.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:20 PM

To many ifs, if a frog had wings, he would bump on his A$S when he jumped. There is no such thing as might not have when it did work!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it wasn’t an experiment....

Jan 9, 2018, 4:23 PM

It was an established plan B and if plan A could fail, I’m sure it is a possibility plan B could fail

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ This.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:26 PM

He's not a genius for going to his backup because his starter was ineffective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

That was a once in lifetime performance. Let's not give him

Jan 9, 2018, 4:24 PM

the GOAT just yet. He may come out next year and not be able to hit the backside of a barn.

Re: That was a once in lifetime performance. Let's not give him

Jan 9, 2018, 4:34 PM

But he got the job done when he was ask, and that is all that counts. Next year will be on next years record, but this year, he is the same as DW4 was, he is a NC winning QB, and he will be that if he never picks up another FB!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then Bama would have the cr@p beat out of them

Jan 9, 2018, 4:25 PM

Just like Clemson did by making no changes and not coaching up #1 h.s. recruit in country. And Saban would still have 5 natl championships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2018, 4:30 PM

It wasn't that big of a gamble. Tua has been playing meaningful snaps all season. Some games he went in this first half... and might I also say, he worked with the ones a lot too. not that bama has many 2's or 3's but still. So yeah, it was a gamble in that he hadn't started a game but he played a lot and not only in games. He got a lot of reps with the ones in practice too.

Maybe we did do that or maybe we didn't, don't know because I wasn't at practice, but we could have put HJ in more meaningful minutes and not just talking cuse game. KB shouldn't have seen the field except the first series against the citadel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2018, 4:43 PM

I don't know why but, most of what you said is very hard for some to understand. I to believe we should have never be caught up without a back up that could come in and not miss a beat. The second best HS QB in the country should have been ready to take over if or when the time come just like the #1 QB was when we needed him!!!

Jan 9, 2018, 5:04 PM

2nd best HS QB doesn't equate to good offensive production against the elites of the college football world in one year often.

Hunter Johnson may be good, but I think it's a far cry to call him a generational talent a la DW4, which is essentially what people are saying/thinking.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:30 PM

Their 2 year QB experiment had failed. I don’t think they had nowhere but up to go.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:55 PM

D a m n, that sounds just like the same situation that we were in, doesn't it. Listen, I agree that we have one of the best coaching staffs in the country, and just like others that has a great coaching staff that isn't perfect, ours ain't perfect either, and it showed when we were desperate to make a string of positive plays that would have gave our guys rejuvenated strength and faith. But failed after failed plays took the wind right out of players sails... I wish we could've would've had a trick up our sleeves that would have put a spark in our offense, but the truth is that we didn't, and championship teams don't play that game!!!!

Jan 9, 2018, 5:04 PM

Just remember that some of those failed plays were just plain drops by receivers.

There's plenty of blame to spread around, it's not just line or QB play. When you're running 3/4 of all your plays inside your own 20, there's also not a lot of room for mistakes from risky play calls, either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2018, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: What is Alabama's QB experiment had failed? ]

No, DW4 was here last year so how could we have a two year experiment?

10-6 score middle 3rd. IF Deon Cain's hands worked on

Jan 9, 2018, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: What is Alabama's QB experiment had failed? ]

Jan 1st on just 2 additional plays, it's a completely different ballgame. Completely. Different. Ballgame. Harping on KB, the staff, the O line, what have you, in some systemic problem fashion with that game, I just don't think it's warranted. But that's just me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was not an experiment because saban had prepared for it

Jan 9, 2018, 5:09 PM

saban has played Tua through out the year and has gotten him many reps in practice with the starters because he knew Hurts limitations as a QB... saban is not a gambler; he's analytical and is not afraid to do what is best to win when opportunities present themselves (see the critical plays against us in 2015 and 2016)... he analyzes the risk/reward of each situation like the best coaches do, and because he has analyzed it, he pulls the trigger.

he's watched Tua in practice all year against his defense, so he feels like Tua got to practice against the best defense possible, so there's not any other defense that will do better than his own...

this was no experiment for saban, but a very calculated move that payed the dividend that he intended and expected...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#1. Don't play it safe. Be willing to take chances.

Jan 9, 2018, 5:20 PM

#2. If it fails, it fails. See #1.
#3. A good passing game would have slowed the Bama defense some. They knew KB would struggle if pressured.
#4. What have you got to lose by NOT trying it? See #1

What if Germany would have won the war?

Jan 9, 2018, 6:19 PM

It doesn't really matter now does it because they didn't!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only those who risk going too far

Jan 10, 2018, 6:48 AM

will know how far they can actually go.

What if ref calls& non calls wete reviewed***

Jan 10, 2018, 7:05 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if ref calls& non calls wete reviewed***

Jan 10, 2018, 7:05 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1