Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is "it"?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 920

What is "it"?

Jan 5, 2021, 9:22 AM

As they say, hindsight is always 20/20. But, in the last couple years since the Power Rangers moved on to the pros, it does appear to me that there has been a leadership "vacuum" on the Clemson football team. That 2018 team had unquestioned leaders, by word and action. Wilkins and Ferrell were the two easiest to name. Wilkins energy was infectious, and raised the level of play of everyone around him. You also still had Hunter Renfrow, finally in the last year of his 18 year college career. He made it seem like no matter what happened, we would be good on third down. He was a steadying influence, and a rally killer for any opposing team.

Now, our teams of 2019 and 2020 certainly had talent, and players who tried to lead. But, just like a King's crown, that mantle of leadership does not fit everyone. That indefinable "it" just seemed to be missing. Trevor certainly tried to lead on the field, but even though he was from Georgia, his vibe was more of that California Surfer "cool", which is more laid back than leader. And, for better or for worse, the off the field social issues invaded the culture and took away from team focus on football, no one will ever convince me otherwise. And, we just never seemed to develop that "rock solid" third down connection that kept drives alive, and opposing teams off balance. We had quick strike power, but lacked sustainability in the biggest games. But, now we have turned the page on 2019 AND 2020.

Who will emerge as that true team leader or leaders that we must have in 2021 to be ultimately successful? And my measure of that is not that we win it all, but that we compete in every game, look like we have a plan, and don't get manhandled like we did against LSU in 2019 and Ohio State in 2020. The talent gap was not nearly as wide as those performances would lead you to believe. So, it comes down to leadership and coaching. The coaches will figure out the plan. But, the team will have to find its own effective leaders. I refuse to believe they are not there. They just need to realize they are needed, and step up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is

Jan 5, 2021, 9:24 AM

Well for all the talk about Olines and DW4/Trevor the third down conversion belonged to a little scrappy White Boy named RENFROW

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is "it"?

Jan 5, 2021, 10:31 AM

“It” in my opinion is unexplained luck. The cosmic factor where everything seems to always go your way most of the time.

Some have it. Some don’t. Fact of life. Those who are blessed with great talent and physical tools who also have “it” are a rare breed and usually are destined for greatness and success.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 920
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic