Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What if we could have fall football . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

What if we could have fall football . . .

Aug 9, 2020, 9:52 AM

but three people in our Clemson football family (athletes & staff) would die from Covid 19 ?
What if it would be 5 ? or 10 ?

What if 30 Clemson fans would die from Covid 19 because of attending games in person ?
What if it were 50 ? or 100 ?

What if 300 Americans would die from Covid 19 from the infection spread by college football fans ?
What if it were 500 ? or 1000 ?

Were would you draw the line ? I know my numbers may not be statistically accurate, but the point remains ? How many people are you willing to put at risk for your entertainment ? Or for money ?

I love college football & I especially love watching my Tigers play, but I don't see how you can play this season (especially with fans in the stands) without seriously exacerbating this viral mess. If we had listened to the medical experts from the start and been really serious about mitigating the spread of this virus, we might have starved it out by now. How many more times will we refuse to step up and make the minimal sacrifices necessary to deal with this reality ?

I will really miss football in the fall, but I cannot see how we can justify putting so many more people at risk just for our pleasure. Go Tigers 2021 !!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if we could have fall football . . .

Aug 9, 2020, 10:07 AM

How would we know from whence these people contracted the said virus ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if, what if...

Aug 9, 2020, 10:31 AM

Hey, we all can possibly get it..from a relative within our house..from having to venture out to the grocery store..from handling a parcel of mail or package last touched by a delivery person..etc.

Yes, watching & playing a sport called FB is not a life & death necessity..

but maybe it is (a necessity) for many willing to move on with life since this virus will remain around early next year and maybe for years..not to mention there will be a new strain or type forever.

Saying..to each his own.

Oh, the Covid19 death rate in U.S. has dropped to & averaged about 1,100 a day over the past 10 days..much lower than before but still sad.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2020, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: What if we could have fall football . . . ]

I was saying if these numbers were added to the ones deriving from normal events - if these people died directly related to playing football.

If we dropped the speed limit for travel to and from these

Aug 9, 2020, 6:14 PM

games, to a level that would assure 0 deaths, how slow would you be willing to drive to attend said games. I think 10 MPH would do it,and living in Powdersville, I could live with that.

Aug 9, 2020, 10:34 AM

The relevant question is how many would have been infected anyway? The goal has shifted from flattening the curve (very doable) to eliminating risk (a fool's errand).

There are ONLY two ways for COVID to go away - vaccine or herd immunity. If someone wants to make the case that having football would cause case count to exceed our capacity to treat, I'll listen. Expecting no football to cure COVID is idiocy.

Re: What if ...

Aug 9, 2020, 10:41 AM

a frog had wings? Would he bump his @ss?

tigercee

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2020, 10:43 AM

Medical experts? How about medical clowns! It’s amazing how some people live in fear of dying when we all got to do it sooner or later.

Aug 9, 2020, 3:45 PM

DBritts,

You first.

You can’t live your live life that way

Aug 9, 2020, 10:56 AM

That mentality, with all due respect, is the worst way that you can live the only life on this earth you have been given.

You can’t live life wondering what might happen.

As an example, If we don’t play football this year, the chances of fans across the nation getting hurt or killed in car wrecks going to games will drastically go down. So not playing would save lives....right?

Trying to use the argument that by NOT doing something would save lives opens up millions of risks we take every day in our lives. Life has a calculated risk in it.

The day I wake up and fret over not doing something for fear of what might happen is the day I have already started to die.

I type this while sitting on a boat in the shadow of Death Valley. If I would have stayed in my house today there was almost a 100% chance I would not drown. So I am out here knowing I have increased my risk of drowning today....but was that a reason to stay at home?

I refuse to live my life that way.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can’t live your live life that way

Aug 9, 2020, 11:04 AM

I suspect every game a major team plays results in deaths from various causes besides corona. Driving, drinking, heart attacks, etc. Should football be stopped?

Couldn't have said it better

Aug 9, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to You can’t live your live life that way ]

To each their own, if the players and coaches want to play, who is anyone to tell them no?

Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can’t live your live life that way

Aug 9, 2020, 3:55 PM [ in reply to You can’t live your live life that way ]

Scott,

I don't live my life in fear either - of drowning or Corona, but statistically speaking if college football is played (and attended) in the fall, people will die that would not have if football had not been played. I am willing to forego my entertainment for one year to help save many lives.

I would suggest, as an alternative, that with concerted, scientifically-driven effort, college football could be relatively safely played without any fans in attendance - TV only. It would be challenging but possible.

There is no scientific way to support your statement

Aug 9, 2020, 7:41 PM

Again, without a vaccine, the number of people that will get infected is the same - this is the only way to develop widespread immunity. The question is how quickly the virus spreads. At this point, knowing that the total infection rate is immutable, let's get it over with. I'll take my chances with hydroxychloroquinine and an antibiotic - the success rate for this combination is very good.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:33 AM

Breaking News: One out of One dies. The main thing is to be ready to go. Praise The Lord Jesus Christ!

Aug 9, 2020, 11:51 AM

Based on all available evidence, this virus is here to stay. It is not realistic to keep all business including sports shut down. By allowing the young and healthy to re-engage in the world(who are virtually at no risk from this virus), we are arguably doing the best thing we can to beat the disease. Protect the vulnerable, use reasonable precautions, and let them continue with life. The effort to create a perfectly safe, no risk dystopia is unnecessary and counter-productive. I wont be surprised if the powers at be shutdown the season, but it won’t be because statistics show any significant risk to players or coaches. It will be out if fear; fear of litigation, and fear of being railroaded by the media for not falling in line.

Re: What if we could have fall football . . .***

Aug 9, 2020, 11:54 AM

Aug 9, 2020, 11:56 AM

How many people a year die in traffic accidents going to and from college football games? I would say exponentially more than could possibly die from Covid-19. So why aren't you advocating to make everyone walk or take the bus to a games, or just have no fans because of this? Life is full of risks, some are hyped more by the media in election years and others are never mentioned because they don't fill a narrative.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one can stop death. If it’s someones time to go then it’s time to go.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:57 AM

Everyone who gets coronavirus was meant to get coronavirus. It’s pretty simple.

Re: No one can stop death. If it’s someones time to go then it’s time to go.

Aug 9, 2020, 3:47 PM

clem28,
Do you and your family wear seatbelts ??

Aug 9, 2020, 3:59 PM

There seems to be a common thread among the comments to my post that this is just life and one has to deal with it. But humans are capable of analyzing a situation and modifying our behavior accordingly. If fact, that is our superpower. Let's use it to better deal with this new situation in which we find ourselves (together)

Aug 9, 2020, 4:01 PM

I also notice that no one has addressed the question posed. Is there a death count that would exceed the pressures to have football in the fall ?

Aug 9, 2020, 10:46 PM

I don’t think having or not having football season impacts the number of athletes or staff that eventually get the virus. You could make a pretty decent guess on the numbers based on death rates so far, if no precautions were taken and high risk individuals were not isolated, you are looking at 2-6 per 1000 cases. This number is likely much lower as there are few 80 year olds playing or coaching (75 year olds and over account for about half of all deaths to date in US). That drops the number between 1-3 per 1000. Most the sample are 18-22 yr old athletes without comorbidities, so that number likely drops well below 1/1000. For the sake of easy numbers, take 65 Power 5 schools x 100 individuals (players and staff) per team. If all 6,500 people caught covid, 6 would die. Its unlikely the entire league would contract the virus without checks in place. Older high risk coaches may want to think about taking the year off or taking extra precautions, buy I’d say the odds are pretty good that no one in the league would actually die.

Question: Do we get to pick the players or is it random?***

Aug 9, 2020, 4:52 PM

what if it was a million jillion people

Aug 9, 2020, 5:22 PM

huh then what?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So do fans ever die driving to the game? And we still play?

Aug 9, 2020, 5:46 PM

Can't really look at things that way.

What if we stop worrying about What If's!!***

Aug 9, 2020, 5:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Aug 9, 2020, 7:57 PM

99% football players want to play! They are not at risk if they get it!

Just let it go full bore and see! Fans that are at risk just stay and give/sell the tickets to family/friends that not at risk and want to go! Wear a mask!

cv19 numbers are going down slowly!

Soon the public schools will be face to face! We will see real quick if it spreads!

Aug 9, 2020, 10:43 PM

Sportsfan,

Are you saying that we don't already have enough evidence to KNOW that it will spread through the contact at football games (fans and athletes) ? And that it will spread far beyond just those who go to the games ?

My response ...

Aug 9, 2020, 8:10 PM

1) "People" will die anyway.
2) No player, coach or fan needs to be there if they don't so choose.
3) Players and fans will be at strip clubs, bars, parties and "protests" if not at games.
4) Many students are returning to schools. They will drink, party and copulate whether they take online courses or attend classes. Just like their parents did. And they will infect others - games or no games.

Aug 9, 2020, 8:12 PM

If we cancel every season, no more car fatalities (there are some on the way to games), no more flu caught that leads to death, etc.

You want us to Shut it all down?

This is Stupid.

Aug 9, 2020, 9:52 PM

There was a picture posted in the Atlanta Journal about five weeks ago. Its people attending a Ga Tech game in 1918 during the Spanish Flu. They were all wearing mask. They played then. We are on top of this much more than then with less people being infected. At some point people have to learn that we have to live with this. In Georgia we have had 200,000 get the virus. 9,800,000 have not.

I rest my case.

Again, the central question (that you all keep avoiding) is

Aug 9, 2020, 10:51 PM

How many more people would have to be hospitalized or dead from Covid 19 (as a result of playing and attending games) for y'all to say that is too high a price to pay for football.

Look at the real numbers

Aug 9, 2020, 11:13 PM

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic