Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What happens if Clemson wins the ACC with a 13-0 record...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

What happens if Clemson wins the ACC with a 13-0 record...

Oct 10, 2019, 8:25 AM

And Alabama wins SEC with 13-0 record.

Ohio State wins Big 10 with 13-0 record.

Oklahoma wins Big 12 with 13-0 record.

What is Clemson’s seed?

With the schedules bama, Ohio st, and Oklahoma play I don’t think they will go undefeated, but it would be interesting to see the seedings.

Main thing for Clemson is to play in Atlanta for semifinal game.

Imperative that IF Clemson is NOT the 1 seed that Alabama be 1 and Clemson be 4 seed to secure a trip to Atlanta

I. LOVE. COLLEGE. FOOTBALL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would rather go to Arizona for the semi final game

Oct 10, 2019, 8:29 AM

and I hope our opponent is Ohio State so we can give them the same asswhoopin in the same stadium as we did in 2016

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Would be weird to see a Clemson Bama semifinal

Oct 10, 2019, 8:29 AM

that was not in Atlanta. In your scenario, I see Clemson as the 3 and Bama as the 2, based on what I am seeing and reading.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would be weird to see a Clemson Bama semifinal

Oct 10, 2019, 8:36 AM

I think we have to beat Bama at some point anyway, but would prefer it to be in the Championship game. However, in the OP, I see no way Bama wouldn't be #1 at 13-0. The Committee would probably have us at #4, although they could put us at #3, to save the Bama matchup for the Championship game. They would probably like to avoid that matchup in the first round, due to the perceived Clemson / Bama "fatigue".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would try and avoid a Clemson Bama natty again

Oct 10, 2019, 9:30 AM

Lasts year’s rating were terrible like worst of the playoff era for a national championship.

A Clemson/bama playoff in Atlanta would make the most sense from a money standpoint.

Probably 4, but that will never happen***

Oct 10, 2019, 8:43 AM

Re: What happens if Clemson wins the ACC with a 13-0 record...

Oct 10, 2019, 8:52 AM

Shrug, it wouldn't matter. Any seed and we play. Win from there.

Realistically, the question would be 310hio-State be ranked if they run over the B10 and high ranked Wisc twice. I see them jumping up but then again, I would not be surprised if the B10 produces a 2 loss champ and cannibalization occurs. I just do not know how the 31-0fers will stack up against a team with a offensive pulse and mid-level defense.

At this point, the CFP will be the conference champ of the ACC, B10, SEC, and B12. Maybe a 2nd team if there is a 1 loss non-champ and multiple loss conference champs, but I would bet that the 1 loss conference champ will be in over any other 1 loss non-champ team unless it is Bama of course.

Oct 10, 2019, 8:52 AM

First, I am disappointed you did not say “UGA wins SEC at 13-0” (however, if that leaves Bama at 12-1 with ONLY the SECCG loss to UGA, the plot REALLY thickens. . . amirite?)

Anyway, the SEC Champ will (deservedly) be 1 seed (AL beats UGA, LSU, AU; UGA beats AU, UF, Bama).

OSU is 2 seed (wins over PSU, Mich(???????), Wisconsin)

Clemson is 3 seed, OK is 4 seed (neither of us have ‘tough’ schedule and we’re ranked higher now, so assume that to remain).

As for Bama with a (their ONLY) loss in the SECCG is gonna SCREAM they deserve to be in, AGAIN, BUT the CFPC has GOT to select undefeated conf champs BEFORE a conf championship ‘loser’ . . .

. . . well, unless Pelosi, Nadler and Schiff are on the CFPC....

PS: Have many UGA friends from my 30 years in Atlanta, but I don’t really pull for UGA - but I TRULY HOPE you go undefeated and beat Bama. You know, (lesser) enemy of my enemy, and all! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

We are not ranked higher than OU right now

Oct 10, 2019, 9:00 AM

Recent history suggests that the CFP rankings will be different than the AP/Coaches poll rankings and then the AP/Coaches polls will adjust the following week to conform more with the CFP rankings.

3 of those 4 teams will not finish undefeated***

Oct 10, 2019, 8:56 AM

I can potentially see 2 undefeated teams this year

Oct 10, 2019, 9:04 AM

We have an "easy path" from here and a pretty good chance of going 13-0. If we do that then it only takes one of OU / OSU / Bama / UGA / LSU / etc. It does feel like the B1G and the SEC will beat each other up a little bit and Oklahoma may have trouble beating Texas twice, but we will see.

Re: 3 of those 4 teams will not finish undefeated***

Oct 10, 2019, 10:20 AM [ in reply to 3 of those 4 teams will not finish undefeated*** ]

I agree. I'd be surprised if there are more than 2 undefeated teams at the end of the year.

We have the best shot, and provided we don't slip up, should be in.

Bama doesn't look as good this year (specifically on defense), and I very much expect them to lose a game (still have @A&M, LSU, @Auburn, and likely UGA if they get past the first 3). Could happen as early as this week. I think UGA has a better chance of going undefeated this year, but we'll see. I think it's UGA's year this year, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them go down to Florida or Auburn or SECCG.

I don't really see an obvious loss for Ohio St at this point. Wisconsin or Penn St may pull it off, and OSU seems to forget to show up at least one week every year. The good news is, OSU and Wisconsin will likely have to play twice this year which will make it more difficult for OSU. I think Iowa would be a tough matchup as well, if they were able to slip past Wisconsin in the West.

OU has looked pretty good this year, but will likely have to beat Texas twice (hopefully healthier UT in round 2 than they are right now). Iowa St should have a good shot this year. Also, relying on Offense only is dangerous. If K-State is able to shut them down, or Ok St/Baylor forces a turnover or 2, they could potentially outscore OU.

All that said, IF there are 4 undefeated teams, it will be
1. SEC (UGA/Bama/LSU)
2. Ohio St.
3. Probably Oklahoma
4. Probably us. Wouldn't surprise me to see us in 3rd, just due to previous years, but OU would probably have a better resume this year, assuming Texas and Iowa St don't fall apart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know thats not going to happen. CFB has never had that

Oct 10, 2019, 8:57 AM

many unbeatens. I swear people forget every year how this sport works. Its not even worth talking about

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

What happens if App St. goes undefeated and beats the coots by 28...

Oct 10, 2019, 9:01 AM

IN COLUMBIA!!!

~JKB

Re: What happens if App St. goes undefeated and beats the coots by 28...

Oct 10, 2019, 9:32 AM

They will go to Cotton Bowl

Oct 10, 2019, 9:25 AM

3rd or 4th. Who cares either way though?

Moot point

Oct 10, 2019, 9:28 AM

Won't happen.

Oct 10, 2019, 9:29 AM

Given strength of schedule, I would say it would be OSU/Bama for 1/2 seeds and CU/Okla for 3/4 seeds. At the moment, it seems:

1) OSU
2) Bama
3) Okla
4) CU

Oct 10, 2019, 9:37 AM

Interesting Question?
But what happens if , say it's LSU, or Wisconsin. Last time I looked they were both 5-0.
What makes you think it's going to be Bama, or Ohio State?

Oct 10, 2019, 9:51 AM

3 seed. Let me know if you need explanation.

Thanks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2019, 9:56 AM

Just play the games and let the chips fall where they may. I don't think they can keep a 13-0 Clemson team that has won 28 games in a row (with one of them a shellacking of the great Alabama), from being the number 1 seed.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Right now, I'm not sure Bama is the best team in the $EC...

Oct 10, 2019, 9:57 AM

Sure...they're scoring a lot of point and winning big, but up to this point, they have pretty much been feasting on a buffet filled with cupcakes.

The current Strength of Schedule rankings for the teams you mentioned are as follows;

Ohio State - 19
Clemson - 35
Alabama - 49
Oklahoma - 61

Of course, Wisconsin and LSU are at 72 and 81 respectively so the same could be said for them as well.

Based on the games remaining, Clemson clearly has the easiest road to the CFP and is more likely, compared to the others you mentioned, to remain unbeaten.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

1) Bama, 2) Ohio State, 3) Clemson, 4) Oklahoma

Oct 10, 2019, 10:13 AM

Would be my guess.

null

I think you would see the CFP manipulate the final standings

Oct 10, 2019, 10:40 AM

to get the match-ups they want.

I also think they'd prefer not having another Clemson/Bama championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sneaking Suspicion About Your Post - But

Oct 10, 2019, 10:14 AM

Humph! If the Tigers went 13-0 and won The ACC it's seed would be based "on how well the team is perceived at that time"! The playoff committee isn't just going off of S.O.S. Otherwise, how in the world has Clemson been able to obtain the #1 overall seed in the past(15)?
The official answer in other words is: "Depends"!
Let's say one of the other schools you mention is still winning but floundering on offense/defense - they won't be a higher seed.

Lots of football to be played before a question like this can be asked!

**p.s. LSU and Georgia only having 1 loss won't be enough to get them in over a perceived weak Clemson schedule. Especially if Clemson is playing lights out near the end of the year!
**I think your scenario is wrong and LSU will win the SEC. Still won't be enough to get Bama and Nicki in: "not over undefeated teams even one from a perceived weaker conference"! It's still a Power 5 conference and would be an unblemished champion!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A one-loss Georgia or LSU...

Oct 10, 2019, 10:44 AM

is not going to get into the CFP instead of an undefeated Ohio State, Oklahoma, or Clemson.

Although you'll definitely have some clowns like Paul F campaigning for it (similar to last year), it's just not going to happen.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic