Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much better is TL REALLY than DJ ??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

How much better is TL REALLY than DJ ??

Nov 11, 2020, 1:52 PM

had a fellow tiger friend tell me that if TL was playing this past Saturday night against ND, we wouldn't have even had a OT.

Guys, it was not DJ's fault we lost, it was that Swiss cheese defense !

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How much better is TL REALLY than DJ ??

Nov 11, 2020, 1:58 PM

One more Tiger first down and we would not have had OT.

DJ couldn't run. Trevor can.

Trevor also has a lot more trust at this point from coaches in terms of taking chances in the passing games in run situations.

I think it's safe to speculate that only a small difference or two could have eliminated the need for OT.

Do you mean the "Swiss cheese defense" that gave up 2 TDs in regulation?

Known troll - please do not respond.***

Nov 11, 2020, 2:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 11, 2020, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: How much better is TL REALLY than DJ ?? ]

Haven't read Dabo's interview yet, have you? The reason DJ couldn't run was that we were trying to keep him from getting smashed into the ground on his already sore shoulder. There were half a dozen reasons we lost, but DJ wasn't one of those reasons.

Nov 11, 2020, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: How much better is TL REALLY than DJ ?? ]

Experience=clock management. TL would have won that game.

Well, Trevor is the best player in college football

Nov 11, 2020, 2:02 PM

and D.J. is not.

Don't get me wrong, D.J. has been outstanding, but at this point his skill development as well as his understanding of the nuances of running an offense (and reading a defense) are not on the same level as Trevor.

I think we would've beaten Notre Dame with Trevor. I don't think we would've blown them out, based on our issues on the defensive side of the ball, but I do think we would've won by 7-10 points.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Known troll, JK . . . . he will be on to basketball next.

You have been advised.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

What do you think DJ lacks in relation to

Nov 11, 2020, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Well, Trevor is the best player in college football ]

"his understanding of the nuances of running an offense (and reading a defense)?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Basically, D.J. lacks the experience that comes with

Nov 11, 2020, 3:47 PM

being the starting QB at an elite program like Clemson for the past couple of years. Trevor has seen virtually every defense that can be thrown at him. He has seen the obvious blitzes, the disguised blitzes, the pre-snap formation changes, the post-snap coverage changes, etc. Trevor has also gotten to know subtle tendencies in his receivers that come with playing with them and practicing with them over the long haul. Trevor has been in a lot of big games and knows how to handle the pressure.

It's not to say that D.J. doesn't have great skills for where he is in his development, because he does. He's super talented and very mature. But there is no way D.J., at this point in time, is where Trevor is at this point in time (i.e., with what is essentially a two year head start).

You can make an argument that D.J. now compares favorably to where Trevor was at the same point, two games into being the starter as a freshman. But that's another discussion, isn't it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Basically, D.J. lacks the experience that comes with

Nov 11, 2020, 7:10 PM

Well said

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: What do you think DJ lacks in relation to

Nov 11, 2020, 3:54 PM [ in reply to What do you think DJ lacks in relation to ]

Simple. Trevor has seen many more defenses than DJ and is better at reading and implementing RPO's and I think a faster runner and decision maker. If for no other reason experience as a junior with many more games under his belt than DJ. Not a criticism of DJ as much as obvious experience and fact.

Re: Well, Trevor is the best player in college football

Nov 11, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Well, Trevor is the best player in college football ]

Agreed. I think the scoop/scores over the last two games probably do not happen if Trevor was the one handing off. Trevor a bit quicker in reading defenses and making decisions. Certainly a more dangerous runner thsn DJ. Just more experience in big games. But DJ is coming on strong.

Re: Well, Trevor is the best player in college football

Nov 11, 2020, 5:51 PM

I made the same point in another post.

The handoff in the BC game was almost in ETN's face, the pitch in the ND game was high and outside.

TL and ETN have a better sense of sync

Nov 11, 2020, 2:02 PM

Too stupid, didn’t read.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 2:06 PM

The coot doth try too hard with the “fellow tiger” crap. And forgot to capitalize Tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

IF former Heisman candidate Etienne wouldn't have literally handed the ball to the ND defender too, who took it to the house, everyone would be happy on here instead of all the sad faces.

Still can't believe that play.

You guys fire Chump yet? Please don’t. ***

Nov 11, 2020, 2:18 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 11, 2020, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: How much better is TL REALLY than DJ ?? ]

I’m not convinced that ETN was to blame for that turnover. Tigers had a new inexperienced quarterback tossing that ball around,

Good idea when playing poker is NOT to tell your opponent

Nov 11, 2020, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: How much better is TL REALLY than DJ ?? ]

what their tell is.

Ywhthia

Hard to bluff with a pulse of 22% though.***

Nov 11, 2020, 2:16 PM

You'd think - but look at the "genuine" responses it is

Nov 11, 2020, 2:18 PM

getting.

Re: Hard to bluff with a pulse of 22% though.***

Nov 11, 2020, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Hard to bluff with a pulse of 22% though.*** ]

I love when “it” posts - gives me a chance to drive that number down further

I would say the only thing DJ is probably just as good...

Nov 11, 2020, 2:07 PM

at this point is throwing the ball and completing passes. Just from my seat, there is zero difference in how they throw the ball....DJ may even throw it faster or have a longer range.

Re: I would say the only thing DJ is probably just as good...

Nov 11, 2020, 3:25 PM

DJ definitely throws it faster. Not that TLaw's arm is soft, it is on the upper end of arm strength among NFL QB's. But DJ's got a cannon like I've never seen. We'll see deflected balls by our WR's that are intercepted, as a result of the cannon. But we'll also see seeds dropped in places that only he can place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJ looks really, really good throwing the ball, but it's

Nov 11, 2020, 2:09 PM

probably the smaller things that you aren't likely to pick up on where Trevor is clearly the better player at this point in their respective careers. I would imagine Trevor just has more command of everything going on around him and that's likely to lead to less mistakes that might not appear to be directly attributable to the QB, but could actually be. Does Mellusi go the wrong way on the handoff if Trevor is in at QB? Maybe, but also maybe not. Does Etienne fumble at the 1 with Trevor under center? Maybe, maybe not. The staff probably has a much better feel for that stuff than any of us would.

Clemson in your head. Rent free all day every day.

Nov 11, 2020, 2:13 PM

Too bad Lawrence will miss his last chance to stomp your chickens but don’t worry DJU will be here to do it for him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 2:14 PM

As Sleepy Joe would say "Cmon man" give DJ a break, it is only his second game at the college level. You could "what if" every thing in life in all kinds of ways. Sometimes it just does not work out the way we want it to. Trevor should get his chance to show what he can do against the Irish.

Notre Dame tailored their game plan around stopping ETN

Nov 11, 2020, 2:14 PM

DJU stepped up and made them pay too and honestly it came down to that last drive before overtime for us. We move the chains there and its over.

To your point though, you're right, DJ was far from any reason why we lost. WE lost b/c of our defense getting beat repeatedly in the secondary and not getting to the QB on blitzes.

Re: Notre Dame tailored their game plan around stopping ETN

Nov 11, 2020, 2:23 PM

Exactly.

Nov 11, 2020, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Notre Dame tailored their game plan around stopping ETN ]

So we held them to field goals for 59 minutes. 59 minutes... we gave them 10 points. Led the game by a TD with less than 2 min left with a true freshmen QB that had a hurt shoulder/limited play calling options to keep him protected and that is your deduction? Agreeing with a coot troll? Wow.

Nov 11, 2020, 3:25 PM

The Tiger defense wasn’t really that bad. Didn’t ND try four field goals ? The long TD run to start the game was by far their best play in regulation.

Nov 11, 2020, 2:53 PM

To quote your former QB "Not that much better, if any better at all"

Kicking a FG while down 41-0..... Lol

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considerably, end of thread?***

Nov 11, 2020, 3:28 PM

Nov 11, 2020, 6:11 PM

If Clemson was just slightly better with TL Clemson wins in regulation. The slant throw that DJ missed that led to a short field goal instead of a TD would have made it an 11 point lead with less than two minutes to go.

DJ did great, but no way could an true freshman be just as good as TL as an experienced junior.

Nov 11, 2020, 7:47 PM

Right now? He's a better passer, defense reader, he understands and can execute more plays and make better offensive adjustments. Oh and a better runner. Other than that their about even.

DJ missed a wide open man in the center of the field while

Nov 11, 2020, 9:19 PM

rolling right.

TL is only better because of experience and age. DJ will get better.

3 for 15 on 3rd downs, is a stat I heard today. You have to believe that TL would have made a few more.

It's ok, he's a true freshman, an amazingly talented true freshman. I wish he was a touch faster with the run game. Maybe he can work on that this off season.

Why does the OP have a pulse of 21%?

Nov 11, 2020, 9:47 PM

Ouch!

Nov 11, 2020, 10:05 PM

2 yrs of experience better.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic