Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What % of the 68 teams who make the big dance are highly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

What % of the 68 teams who make the big dance are highly

Feb 5, 2021, 1:21 PM

ranked? All? Just wondering if being one of the 68 means you are ranked in the top 68? If we are ranked in the top 68 ap ratings will we make it in? Not sure about that but shouldn’t we be?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: What % of the 68 teams who make the big dance are highly

Feb 5, 2021, 1:26 PM

This is not a serious question. Right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2021, 1:28 PM

define "highly ranked"

Normally, about 35-40 are considered to be "top 40" teams with the other 28 or so being a random assortment. It really comes down to whether or not the teams with the Automatic bids are the best teams. For exampple, if Boston College wins the ACC, it will drive down the % of "top teams" in the tourney. Same applies for each conference.

If you are ranked 50/60 you aren't getting in. Even 30s can be an issue due to "eye tests".

My biggest issue with at large, they tend to reward inconsistent play over consistent play. Thus if you have two 9-9 teams that are both 20-12, they would rather take a team that has a few upsets and some ugly losses to bad teams over a team that beats the lesser teams and loses to good teams. Odd, I know.

There are 32 Automatic Bids

Feb 5, 2021, 1:46 PM

If the best team in each conference also won their conference tournament, there would be 36 slots for other teams. But, as pointed out already, if a team that would not be invited surprisingly wins their conference tournament, they get one of those automatic bids.

Clemson will need to be in the Top 30 to get serious consideration.

Our remaining schedule looks 100% winnable. If we win, we are in. If we choke away 3-4 of our remaining games, we're out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are 32 Automatic Bids

Feb 5, 2021, 2:53 PM

If today was the last day.... the Tigers are IN. Remaining Schedule is favorable . I like the chances but we’ve already seen what CAN happen.

This team is WAAAAAY too unpredictable...

Feb 5, 2021, 3:26 PM

to have any real high level of confidence about making the Tournament.

If they play like they are capable, we should be in good shape.

On the other hand, if they play like they did against UVa, Georgia Tech, and Dook, all bets are off.

Winning four of the next seven should solidify it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 5, 2021, 5:08 PM

My point was that the “best” (top 68) teams according to whatever ranking service don’t make it to the tournament. Shouldn’t we or anyone else who is ranked top 68 be in the tournament?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Feb 5, 2021, 5:19 PM

No, that's not how it works. And the AP doesn't rank 68 teams. They rank 25 and then "others" which is typically about 10 more or so that receive a handful of votes.

There are automatic bids for conference champions. Then, the rest of the teams are determined by a selection committee that reviews several different criteria and metrics to fill in at-large bids. None of those metrics are based on people voting for top 25 (AP, coaches, etc...all are irrelevant just like football polls are irrelevant to the CFP).

Feb 5, 2021, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: What % of the 68 teams who make the big dance are highly ]

Yeah, in an ideal world that's true. But they're so many teams in basketball and unlike football, ivy league type conferences get an auto bid.

But it's been explained well in previous posts. That's one reason that you end up with good teams in the nit... And when I say good, team(s) that may be ranked in 40's as explained above. That said, you do end up with most teams in the top 60. Hth

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it should be the best 68 teams.

Feb 5, 2021, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: What % of the 68 teams who make the big dance are highly ]

But instead, it’s conference championship winners with automatic bids plus whatever mid-majors are deemed worthy of at-large bids.

People forget that mid-majors weren’t hyped as much 20-30 years ago like they are now. Thus, it’s harder for a solid power 5 team to get in these days than it used to be.

Basically, you need to be a top 30-35 team to get in, unless you’re a conference champion or a mid-major.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic