Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would the movement to remove statues be more acceptable
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 651

Would the movement to remove statues be more acceptable

Jun 25, 2020, 11:27 PM

to you if the goal was to replace them with sculptures and memorials of abolitionists?

Trade a Calhoun for a Frederick Douglass? Tillman for a Sojourner Truth?

Would we do a better job to teach and understand our history (if that's the goal of a monument) by providing a different lens with which to view it?

The debate is typically started with a binary decision to choose is to pick between confederate or union leaders or talk about presidents of the past when deciding which folks to honor. Can you really say that any of them were democratically elected?

Leaders of slave rebellions seem to be much more noble than any generals of the Civil War. It's debatable if our democracy really began prior to 1866 1920 1965.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forgive the word salad formatting in that third paragraph

Jun 25, 2020, 11:28 PM

the Natty light flows

Any move would be fine with me if it were lawful,

Jun 25, 2020, 11:38 PM

without violence and with the approval of Americans via legislation.

My first look at Lincoln's statue brought extreme disappointment because the ex-slave seemed to bow or hunker in submission. I tolerate that statue because I suspected, perhaps rationalized that it was viewed differently by the people who funded it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

same, go through the proper channels...

Jun 25, 2020, 11:43 PM

instead of just tearing stuff up.

I think it would also be valuable dialogue to talk about why we are taking it down and why we are replacing it with whatever.
Many of theses statues should go to a museum to preserve history and art.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Certainly not all of them

Jun 25, 2020, 11:59 PM

Obed®

I have a good replacement for that one in mind.

Jun 26, 2020, 12:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a good replacement for that one in mind.

Jun 26, 2020, 12:19 AM

nice recall***

Jun 26, 2020, 12:19 AM [ in reply to I have a good replacement for that one in mind. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that made from a block of cheese?***

Jun 26, 2020, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Certainly not all of them ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't make the new ones out of anything expensive....

Jun 25, 2020, 11:43 PM

we'll just be tearing down the Frederick Douglas one in 10 years if we find out he beat his wife or didn't like Mexicans or similar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we could make all new statues...

Jun 25, 2020, 11:44 PM

like those collapsible goal posts.

What if we could make them out of the same material as

Jun 25, 2020, 11:45 PM

the cop in Terminator 2? Guaranteed to be permanently inoffensive.

You thinking LEGOS?***

Jun 25, 2020, 11:45 PM [ in reply to I wouldn't make the new ones out of anything expensive.... ]

Re: Would the movement to remove statues be more acceptable

Jun 26, 2020, 12:02 AM

It’s funny that people have to be told who they are, and to be outraged by them. Then they can make up stories about how they have been oppressed by this statue or name that they didn’t know 20 min ago.

The movement is a joke. Blacks are being used by the democrites to fuel their insatiable appetite for power.

Just tear them all down, I’m ready to see what the next “outrage” is about. Maybe Clemson should be stripped of a national title when it happened with a coach that said the “n” word on staff.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for adding to the discussion.***

Jun 26, 2020, 12:04 AM

Re: Thanks for adding to the discussion.***

Jun 26, 2020, 12:12 AM

Oh my bad, let me contribute.

.....ummmmm, hey, how about just inflatable ones...Hahahahaha.

Well your argument flies in the face of the whole "statues

Jun 26, 2020, 12:15 AM

teach history" argument, and also implies that black Americans don't know their history and there's some other underlying vitriol in response to an innocuous discussion starting OP.

Some of us joke around here, you seem to be incapable. Enjoy your evening.

Re: Well your argument flies in the face of the whole "statues

Jun 26, 2020, 12:28 AM

I never made the argument that they teach anything.You assumed my response should defend a point of view that you selected for me. Weird.

Also, most people tearing down statues are white, but you wanted to make me racist by saying that I implied blacks don’t know history.

Typical dem response to anything: say vitriol, or spew and call them racist...

My OP had nothing to do with riots or tearing anything down

Jun 26, 2020, 12:34 AM

by mob rule. You made a lot of leaps with your response.

The movement is to tear down any statue, so it's past the

Jun 26, 2020, 1:28 AM

point of having a rationale discussion, really. A lot of statues are down and there's been no attempt by the mob to ask why. It's a white man so it must be torn down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well your argument flies in the face of the whole "statues

Jun 26, 2020, 12:55 AM [ in reply to Well your argument flies in the face of the whole "statues ]

They don't know actual history, just the liberal, left-wing media version, obviously you subscribe to this nonsensical, I is a victim, type of scenario.

Re: Thanks for adding to the discussion.***

Jun 26, 2020, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Thanks for adding to the discussion.*** ]

Actually he's the only one who has added anything to this idiotic rant.

Jun 26, 2020, 12:24 AM

i'll admit that its not a big deal for me. At the same time I have no problem with people taking them down, and I actually lean that way, but not a big deal either way to me.

when movements like this happen, the mob can easily get going, with demand after demand, some reasonable , and some voices not so much. I feel like there will be some middle ground tho. Not every demand will be met, but some will

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

If you have been watching, they are taking down abolitionists

Jun 26, 2020, 7:25 AM

As well

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2020, 7:52 AM

I am fine with removing any of the Confederate statues erected in the 1900's as they were purely an intimidation tactic. Most popped up during time of racial unrest . Now I do disagree with the Washington era folks being torn down, yes most were slave owners but this Nation would not be here without them. Stone Mountain, from an artistic and sheer scale of accomplishment would fall under a different catagory but no big deal if it gets blown up. Though is seems kind of Taliban like to me . To each their own though I suppose.

What about pigeons. Hasn’t enough habitat been destroyed?***

Jun 26, 2020, 8:12 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about pigeons. Hasn’t enough habitat been destroyed?***

Jun 26, 2020, 8:19 AM

Flying rats, man they can go away. Though they may be a food source for something,gotta ponder that first.

Re: What about pigeons. Hasn’t enough habitat been destroyed?***

Jun 26, 2020, 8:29 AM [ in reply to What about pigeons. Hasn’t enough habitat been destroyed?*** ]

https://youtu.be/ZXauTCZKz8A

Replies: 27
| visibility 651
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic