Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 956

So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel

Sep 6, 2020, 9:00 PM

and defamation of character, something he has literally done 100's of times in the past? If there is no truth to this story, then I imagine we will find out some time this week when and if the lawsuit is filed. He won't let a news publication lie to the american people like that and not hold them accountable, at least that is not the Trump I know.

However , if this lawsuit is never filed, it means one of two things.

the story is 100% accurate.
or Trump turned into a giagantic pussy and is letting the Atlantic to give him on a Swedish bike ride free of charge.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel

Sep 6, 2020, 9:35 PM

Public figures rarely win libel/defamation suits. He could never prove “malice” no matter how silly the accusation. If he were a private citizen, CNN, WAPO, Huff ghost, the Atlantic, etc. would be out of business. Sandmann is trying.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 9:46 PM

he sued Bill Maher for 5 million because he claimed Trump's mother had sex with an orangutan and gave birth to Donald. But this seems more serious.

Sep 6, 2020, 9:49 PM

2013, private citizen

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bush did it.

Sep 6, 2020, 9:56 PM

he really needs to attack this head on and clear his name in the courts before this damages his re-election chances.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel ]

Trump was a public figure in 2013 so the same standard would have applied back then, but good try

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 10:33 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 10:37 PM

There also is a heightened standard for people in the public eye

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 10:48 PM

Sep 7, 2020, 1:47 PM

I understand that; that is my point. Trump also had a heightened standard of proof -- had to prove malice -- when he was a "private citizen" because he was a figure of public notoriety and had injected himself into the public arena as a celebrity. He did not have any trouble suing when he was a "private citizen"

Sep 6, 2020, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel ]

And, truth is an absolute defense

Sep 7, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel ]

Because truth is an absolute defense to a defamation lawsuit, it would give The Atlantic subpoena power and the power of the courts through discovery to force people to go on the record under oath. The Atlantic's lawyers would have a field day.

Sep 7, 2020, 3:24 AM [ in reply to Re: So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel ]

Do you ever get tired of making idiotic excuses for your cult leader?

Sep 7, 2020, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: So when is Trump going to sue the Atlantic for Libel ]

btw, the jury is still out on that Orangutan story

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

What's the statutes of limitations on that.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:22 PM

Trump best move is to continue waging war and move the troops out of this theater and let his enemies have this battle while he executes the plan to win the war.

If he wants to revisit this after the election then he may but I suspect all his troops will be fending off other hoaxes like Russian collusion, quid pro quo and how he really lost the election because pub voted twice.

When he runs again in 2023 dems will finally give up their efforts to prove he didn't win in 2020. Wash, rinse and repeat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

only a brain dead liberal would believe the Atlantic

Sep 6, 2020, 11:07 PM

they will be making up #### continuously until the election

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Art of the Deal 2" - The Atlantic... Honorarium to T-Rump.***

Sep 6, 2020, 11:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: only a brain dead liberal would believe the Atlantic

Sep 7, 2020, 3:25 AM [ in reply to only a brain dead liberal would believe the Atlantic ]

You're a sucker. Bottom line.

Re: only a brain dead liberal would believe the Atlantic

Sep 7, 2020, 8:58 AM [ in reply to only a brain dead liberal would believe the Atlantic ]

Something tells me that if you tried to read an article in The Atlantic, you'd quickly be brain dead. Many of the articles are 6-7 pages long! They use big words! You have to remember what was written on page 1 when you get to page 6! MeeMaw, please bring me a Goody Powder!

Well, Balm, he can't.

Sep 7, 2020, 12:36 AM

For a few reasons:

-He's a public official. He would have to prove actual malice per NY Times v. Sullivan to even come close it.

-You can't sue for defamation if your reputation is already ####, and Donald Trump was a well-established piece of #### long before he ever became president. You can't sue for ruining your reputation when your reputation is already garbage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Well, Balm, he can't.

Sep 7, 2020, 6:02 AM

I just find it incredibly difficult that trump could not use his vast legal resources to ruin the lives of the people who made up these dastardly lies, it is unlike him not to do this.

Replies: 20
| visibility 956
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic