Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offisides issue: what does rule 5 mean??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,447

Offisides issue: what does rule 5 mean??

Dec 6, 2015, 2:55 AM

That "Rule 5" in article 2 of the kick formation rule that a few posts have referred to. . . what exactly does it mean? It says:

"All players of team A must have been between the nine-yard marks after the ready for play signal."

What am I missing here . . . what are they referring to? What are the "nine-yard marks,"?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offisides issue: what does rule 5 mean??

Dec 6, 2015, 2:58 AM

ARTICLE 8. Nine-yard marks 12 inches in length, every 10 yards, shall be located
nine yards from the sidelines. They are not required if the field is numbered according
to Rule 1-2-1-i.

Ah! Much thanks . . . so then. . .

Dec 6, 2015, 3:04 AM

like everyone's saying, it's technically an illegal formation, not offsides, but the result would have been the same?

They were offsides as well.

Dec 6, 2015, 3:13 AM

Official had the best view and a better angle than all of the camera views available. Clemson won fair and square. The media will push this but it's a non issue. The official called offsides, they kicked again, and Clemson recovered.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Still at an angle, but here's a better view (pic)

Dec 6, 2015, 3:22 AM

His hand is definitely off sides and that's all it takes. It was a close call, but it was a critical juncture and a crucial play. The official made the right call.

Someone else posted this earlier. Thanks to who ever it was.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still at an angle, but here's a better view (pic)

Dec 6, 2015, 3:36 AM

what about the kickers foot - since it appears he kicked it with the back part of the inside of his foot -it looks as if his toes are in front of the ball also. Only the planting foot can pass the ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well . . . I see no reason to grant

Dec 6, 2015, 3:23 AM [ in reply to They were offsides as well. ]

unqualified deference to an official just b/c he had the best angle. There may be enough reason to grant deference, but there may also be enough reason to question it. But if they were lined-up illegally, then the off-sides thing almost doesn't matter!

This also brings up another question - does the foot have to be off-sides for the infraction, or can any body part (hand, arm, head, etc.) in the air - be considered off-sides?

Re: Well . . . I see no reason to grant

Dec 6, 2015, 3:37 AM

any body part

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2015, 2:58 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2015, 6:23 AM

Well they violated the rule on both sides then. Look on far sidelines how close they are to sideline

Dec 6, 2015, 3:18 AM

Okay I've had some beers and need some more explaining of the rule . So you can't have players outside of the hash marks or 10 yards from the sideline? Or can you only have players outside of the hash mark once the ready for play signal is given ? I'm missing something here so help me out lol

Why in the year 2015 almost 2016

Dec 6, 2015, 3:29 AM

can't we have camera angles straight down the LOS and goaline?

Dec 6, 2015, 3:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Offisides issue: what does rule 5 mean?? ]

when a ball is set all players on offense or the kicking team must be in between the 9 yard marks on both sides of the field at least for a sec before the play starts(hiked or kicked)

Dec 6, 2015, 3:27 AM

Yes - it is a rule for kickoffs, but also for every other play in the game for the offense. Refs really never call this. They will usually just tell a receiver to watch his line up. Also and I may be wrong but the rule says "must have been between the marks after" the ref says the play can start. So a player only has to step inside the marks before the ball is hiked or kicked. Did he by chance step inside the line after the photo circulating was taken and before the kick and also what about the guy on the other side of the field - is not he out even worst??

I was thinking that from the bad angle of the camera on the call that it might be possible that the head of the one NC player was past the retaining line and from where the calling ref(directly inline) was it was called on him (but why no announcement of the numbers for the off sides player?). Look at the refs head which was centered over the line looks to be a foot back from that great yellow line everyone is inserting on film. This is like when a player does not look like he got in the end zone from a similar angle but the end zone line judge says he crossed.

Technically, it means Another Clemson Championship.***

Dec 6, 2015, 7:19 AM

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,447
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic