Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight.

Mar 17, 2018, 12:30 AM

He can live vicariously through Brad’s NCAA Tournament success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight.

Mar 17, 2018, 12:32 AM

I heard he was up late pressing some things

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 12:32 AM

B-RAD > OPP

Happy to watch Brad get that monkey off his back and to see the Clemson Tigers moving on from the first round of the NCAA Tourney!

Excited to see how far this team can go!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He looked relieved.***

Mar 17, 2018, 12:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

We all did***

Mar 17, 2018, 1:28 AM

Mar 17, 2018, 12:33 AM

Proud of Brad!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 17, 2018, 1:12 AM

And Brad did it missing his best player.

OP couldn't do it with Pro(s) on the team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 6:12 AM

Ok stop people!!!
Op. Always had to face teams in the first rounds like west virgina, michigan, and nova.
Just enjoy the win...

And if memory serves, we were the higher seed each time.

Mar 17, 2018, 9:53 AM

OP was a great program builder, but his teams were clearly not built for NCAA Tournament success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

All double digit seeds***

Mar 17, 2018, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight. ]

Mar 17, 2018, 7:46 AM

Purnell took us to 4 straight tourneys at one point. This is Brad's 2nd tournament experience. I don't see what you're trying to say? Plus it was 8 years ago, I'm pretty sure Purnell has moved on.

The point is that OP never won an NCAA Tournament game.

Mar 17, 2018, 9:54 AM

So many Clemson fans prop OP up as an amazing coach, but as good as he was at building a program, he was not good at winning NCAA Tournament games. What Brad has accomplished already this year has not been done at Clemson in 21 years. Let's give him his due.

No, he took us to 3 straight, not 4...And this isn't Brad's

Mar 17, 2018, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight. ]

2nd Tourney, it's his 2nd Tourney with US, try to keep up

Mar 17, 2018, 8:00 AM

Wow what a ridiculous thing to say.

I think it’s safe to say OP would have several tournament wins by now had he stayed.

yes, because he certainly showed how successful he

Mar 17, 2018, 8:29 AM

could be at his new home.

How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament

Mar 17, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight. ]

suggest that he would've won one at Clemson if he had stayed longer?!?

Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament

Mar 17, 2018, 10:52 AM

Maybe the fact that he built a program from garbage to a consistent tournament team and contender in the ACC. No reason to think we wouldn’t have continued to improve. The tournament wins would have come.

I’m starting to wonder if the color of his skin is a factor with some of you. No other reason that I can think of to continually bash the man considering what he did here. Even in a year that we make the NCAA’s and get a tourney win it’s not as exciting as it was back in the Purnell days.

Mar 17, 2018, 11:22 AM

"Actually"

Mar 17, 2018, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament ]

"Actually"

The fact that you are trying to make this a race issue

Mar 17, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament ]

shows the kind of person you are. Sad.

I loved Purnell, he did a great job for us, and I appreciate the program he built. But he had likely reached his ceiling. Recruiting had tapered off toward the end, and Brownell inherited more of a mess (behind the scenes as well) than he thought. I do not think OP would've made the NCAA Tournament after the 2010-2011 season (Brownell's first with us).

Purnell showed that he can build a program and get it to the tournament but not win there. Brownell, while it has taken him longer to build, seems to have built the program to a level or two beyond what OP could.

Good post...accurate too!***

Mar 17, 2018, 11:46 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The fact that you are trying to make this a race issue

Mar 17, 2018, 1:04 PM [ in reply to The fact that you are trying to make this a race issue ]

"recruiting had tapered off toward the end"

How can you possibly type that and actually hit the post button? You know good and #### well recruiting was at all time high when he left. His last class was the best in Clemson history ratings wise.

You really show that you appreciate what he did by calling him out almost a decade later after the coach that took the reigns after he left FINALLY makes the NCAA tournament.

He didn't just make the Dance, he actually won a game...One

Mar 17, 2018, 1:06 PM

of Four Clemson coaches to get a W in the Dance

Re: The fact that you are trying to make this a race issue

Mar 17, 2018, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: The fact that you are trying to make this a race issue ]

Clemson didn't make him leave he left left for what he thought was greener pastures and we know how that turned out so it's on him don't blame the Clemson fans .

Mar 17, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament ]

Yeah because being black certainly holds one back in Basketball. You are the worst kind of idiot. An idiot that tries to stir up other idiots.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 1:05 PM

"because being black certainly holds one back in basketball"

Where did I say that?

Mar 17, 2018, 2:57 PM

I was saying that no one would ever say they didn’t want someone involved in their basketball team because they were black.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the most excited I have been since Barnes 3rd year***

Mar 17, 2018, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament ]

Re: This is the most excited I have been since Barnes 3rd year***

Mar 17, 2018, 1:06 PM

Hate you missed the Purnell years. Little John was considered one of the toughest venues in the country when he was here.

Hardly missed a home game, but nothing that happened

Mar 17, 2018, 1:08 PM

then tops making the Round of 32

Re: Hardly missed a home game, but nothing that happened

Mar 17, 2018, 3:21 PM

You’re right about that but Purnells last 3-4 years was the most exciting stretch of Clemson basketball ever because of the rapid improvement and consistency in the program.

To say that you haven’t been this excited since Barnes just doesn’t make sense unless there is some other factor at play here...

Factor like what Skeeter? Don't be a puss, come on out

Mar 17, 2018, 4:13 PM

and say it

For me it was the factor of actually winning tourney games!***

Mar 17, 2018, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Hardly missed a home game, but nothing that happened ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament ]

Really race card Jhop wow what a joke you are. I noticed you were no where to be found last night

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

There's always some sore loser who has to resort to the race

Mar 17, 2018, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament ]

card...Now that TK79 is gone, I guess you're jockeying for the Mantle?

Way to go Jhop, throw up the race card when it was absolutely

Mar 17, 2018, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: How on earth does his 0-6 record in the NCAA Tournament ]

uncalled for! Folks point out that he couldn't win tourney games, and that's racist? Shame on you!!

Mar 17, 2018, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight. ]

Based on what? He choked away wins as the higher seed every appearance he made with Clemson.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Based on what? His 0 for 3 record at Clemson or his lifetime

Mar 17, 2018, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight. ]

0fer?

Mar 17, 2018, 11:55 AM

Classless post IMO. OP did a great job here, and he's been gone for nearly 10 years. Why can't we just enjoy the win last night without feeling the need to run down a former coach?

Mar 17, 2018, 11:58 AM

Besides, not everything is equal. Tommy Bowden had a better record against South Carolina than Dabo does, but that doesn't make Tommy Bowden a better coach, or even a better coach against them. The circumstances just weren't the same. Nobody knows how a Brownell team would have done against the tourney teams Purnell faced, and nobody knows how one of Purnell's teams would have done against New Mexico State.

We do know he couldn't beat a double digit seed in 3 tries,

Mar 17, 2018, 12:49 PM

only took Brad 1...I know that.

Re: We do know he couldn't beat a double digit seed in 3 tries,

Mar 17, 2018, 2:10 PM

How long will it take Brad to reach the ACC Championship game? I like both guys btw, so I'm not knocking Brad, or trying to take away from this season. I just don't understand the need to hate on a former coach who also brought us a share of success that we've rarely seen before with our basketball program.

I also don't see how beating New Mexico State in his 8th season automatically means he's a better coach here than Purnell was. Or even if he is better, why there's a need to hold some sort of grudge against a former coach who did very well here.

I’m not “knocking” OP. He was a good coach for us.

Mar 17, 2018, 3:22 PM

But there is no denying that he couldn’t win an NCAA Tournament game at Clemson or anywhere else. The same can’t be said for Brownell.

I brought it up for two reasons:

1. Many of Brownell’s critics try to use OP’s NCAA appearances against him. Well, that goes both ways.

2. OP was extremely classless in how he left Clemson. Leaving in the middle of the night and not even telling his players was as wimpy as you can get. I will never forget that.

OP was great, but I prefer Brownell thanks.

Mar 17, 2018, 12:53 PM

Can you not just enjoy our current success without taking a gratuitous shot at our former coach?

Yes, I can enjoy it. And I did.

Mar 17, 2018, 12:58 PM

The post was more of a shot against our "fans" who love to prop up Purnell and criticize Brownell.

That comparison has been put to bed...Brad's got the

Mar 17, 2018, 1:01 PM

scoreboard

Re: That comparison has been put to bed...Brad's got the

Mar 17, 2018, 1:22 PM

With what we have coming back next season and CBB being such a good coach.
Then there is No reason next season shouldn’t be even better than this season.
Well let me rephrase that no excuse not to make the Dance 2 years in a row .

Re: That comparison has been put to bed...Brad's got the

Mar 17, 2018, 3:23 PM [ in reply to That comparison has been put to bed...Brad's got the ]

“Brads got the scoreboard”

Lol. Wut?

More ACC Wins, more ACCT wins, more NCAAT wins...What

Mar 17, 2018, 4:15 PM

else is there?

Re: More ACC Wins, more ACCT wins, more NCAAT wins...What

Mar 17, 2018, 5:53 PM

Well Purnell inherited a dumpster fire and after a couple years consistently won 20 + games and had tourney caliber teams....

In year 8 we've finally got one from Brownell and while I'm enjoying the run I won't be delusional about the first 7 years of his tenure.

Calling out Purnell like the OP did is cootish at best.

LOL no, cootish is playing the race card like you did.

Mar 17, 2018, 6:19 PM

Simply because I pointed out a fact about your boy Purnell.

Who's got the scoreboard Skeet?

Mar 17, 2018, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Re: More ACC Wins, more ACCT wins, more NCAAT wins...What ]

Brad does...Trying to rationalize how he got more ACCT wins and NCAAT wins is cootish at best

Re: Who's got the scoreboard Skeet?

Mar 17, 2018, 8:55 PM

Meh....I'll take consistency and good recruiting over a one good run every 8 years. OP's last two classes were ranked 30th and 15th respectively....apparently Judge Keller is unaware of that....

I'll take one W over three straight Ls everytime Skeet...

Mar 17, 2018, 9:22 PM

Brad has coached 3 NCAA games as Clemson's HC and he has two Ws...Your Messiah went zero for three...Scoreboard

Still think Zion Williamson is a lock to Clemson?***

Mar 17, 2018, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Yes, I can enjoy it. And I did. ]

He WAS a lock to Clemson up until a few hours before his commitment.

Mar 17, 2018, 3:34 PM

Thanks for being a jerk about it though. I wouldn’t have posted what I had heard if I didn’t feel extremely confident about it. I acknowledged after the fact that I was wrong and that I learned my lesson about posting things like that. I don’t know what else you expect from me.

Mar 17, 2018, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight. ]

No, he can't.

How's that CROW taste? I hear it's best served cold

Mar 17, 2018, 4:17 PM

HTH

It's called human nature and sportsfan's internet message

Mar 17, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Oliver Purnell got to see our game tonight. ]

boards. It's a combo not unlike Long Island Iced Tea. I MYSELF WAS VERY PLEASED WITH LAST NIGHT AND DON'T SEE WHERE BRINGING UP OPP DOES ANY GOOD. Some want to compare apples vs. oranges. Free will and all that. Carry on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 4:39 PM

I just realized who your avatar was a picture of.

That's hilarious.....

It took you THAT long to recognize our HC?***

Mar 17, 2018, 4:41 PM

OPs teams were wore out by tourney time bc they pressed

Mar 17, 2018, 6:43 PM

All game every game. Their legs were done by the end of the year. It was an unsustainable yearlong game plan as it turns out.

OPs teams were wore out by tourney time bc they pressed

Mar 17, 2018, 6:43 PM

All game every game. Their legs were done by the end of the year. It was an unsustainable yearlong game plan as it turns out.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic