Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re. Watson's run game @ GA TECH
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Re. Watson's run game @ GA TECH

Nov 20, 2014, 10:35 AM

Many on here feel that Watson's injury was nobody's fault to include Chad. I feel differently. I became PO'd with the offensive game plan well BEFORE he got hurt.

How many of you have seen a quarterback finish a game with 32 carries? Well, you did Saturday. At 7 carries per 13 minutes, Watson was on schedule for 32 carries.

Insane. Even Justin Thomas, in that GA TECH run oriented offense, only ran the ball 11 times the entire game.

I just knew that, upon Watson's return, they would limit his runs to keeping plays alive to find his receivers downfield. I just knew that they would do everything possible to protect him in order to keep that very elite arm on the field in our arsenal the rest of the season. ESPECIALLY, AND I MEAN ESPECIALLY, given how thin we are at the position.

I also anticipated that the staff would rep Dye to death during practices to prepare him so we had the maximum amount of fire power at running back available to handle the running game load...this being another tactic to limit Watson's running.

So what does the staff do? Run the quarterback more times on a per minute basis than I may have seen in my 47 years of following college football.

So yes, I do place blame the staff for lack of common sense in game planning for GA TECH. At a minimum, all of the above should have been tried. ONLY, AND I MEAN ONLY, in the event the above tactics failed, should they have gulped so loudly you could have heard it in the stands, then held their collective breaths while unleashing Watson's running.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how in the world do you know those were all

Nov 20, 2014, 10:38 AM

Run plays? Could have been option to run plays in which Watson opted to run. Could have been pass plays and Watson didn't like what he saw.

You read tci?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

heard of run pass options? A few of these runs

Nov 20, 2014, 10:39 AM

were not straight runs, it was watson rolling and pulling it down

Re: heard of run pass options? A few of these runs

Nov 20, 2014, 10:59 AM

coaches even said DW had the option to run or throw. The OP is dumb post of the day IMO. I wish people would just leave it alone. He got hurt, things happen.

Re: Re. Watson's run game @ GA TECH

Nov 20, 2014, 10:44 AM

It's called run/pass option. The QB decides what to do.

The only time Watson should run is when he scrambles

Nov 20, 2014, 10:44 AM

or when there is no other way to get the yardage. To take such a valuable player and throw him into that melee again and again is irresponsible. The defense knows what he is capable of, and the ends will stay put because they know that.

Yeah, I know Morris said it was Watson's "choice", but you know what coach? If you had Watsons best interests in mind, you would not have given that 18 year old freshman that choice. You would have told him to throw the ball away, rather than take such risks. If you don't have a running game, coach, don't try to hide it by using Watson.

Re: The only time Watson should run is when he scrambles

Nov 20, 2014, 10:50 AM

what will the game plan for the coots be if he is able to play? he will be very limited I would think in his ability to cut on that knee.

Morris runs him up the middle about 30 times?***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:53 AM

If you aren't going to run DW when the def. is giving it...

Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to The only time Watson should run is when he scrambles ]

to you, his value goes way down. You HAVE to run him if it's there. Even Scar ran Thompson successfully against us because we GAVE it to them. If you don't, you have made the opponents D. Coordinators job incredibly easy. DW was the number on RUNNING / PASSING QB in the country. GT has six in the box, we HAD to run the zone read. DW pulled it and ran because that is what they GAVE us.

Nov 20, 2014, 10:52 AM

As bad as GT secondary has been all year I was hoping the Chad would have DW slinging the ball?

That is not complicated enough.***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:53 AM

I think DW is more of a pass 1st guy, he has showed this

Nov 20, 2014, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Re. Watson's run game @ GA TECH ]

several times this yr by finding receivers while scrambling. If the pass option was there, I think he would have slinged it. I havent seen a replay on what DW saw, but he obviously thought GT had things covered so he ran, with success I might add. I would have thought with him coming off a hand injury GT would have played the run more and forced DW to beat him with his arm testing his hand, but it looked as if they were playing more coverage on those plays. I like the run/pass option play call as it forced GT to pick their poison. It was working too, back to back drives that would have more than likely resulted in points had Watson not been hurt. This then sets up said pass cause GT would have had to make adjustments to the run part of the option opening up the pass.

Coach Morris and DeShaun Watson share the blame for that.

Nov 20, 2014, 11:00 AM

Coach Morris needs to reduce the number of run options from what they were on track for in the Georgia Tech game. While a run-limited Watson is not as dangerous a weapon, a no-Watson offense is a pop gun.

DeShaun needs to watch some film on Sammy Watkins and see how he avoids the big hit by getting down on the ground and not fighting for an extra inch or two like you are a 240lb fullback.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that is true, but I dont think the # of runs is linear

Nov 20, 2014, 11:14 AM

had we continued to have success, GT would have more than likely started cheating toward the run opening up the pass. This in turn would naturally lead to less runs.

Well shoot.

Nov 20, 2014, 11:13 AM

Chad called the option read. When that play is working as designed it's results are big gains which translates often in points and time of possession. It's called football. Tajh ran it and nobody complained. DW was recruited to run it and nobody complained. DW ran it before he got hurt and nobody complained.

You complain because he twisted his knee but you ignore the fact that that hard cut was the result of him running up his blocker's ###. He also bruised the bone because he misjudged the space and landed on his blocker's upturned cleat.

Blaming that injury on play calling is like blaming the guy you rammed into after you ran a red light.

BTW, when a defense gets stung a few time on that option read it alters the focus of their secondary and opens up the passing game. So no, I don't think your extrapolation on how many time DW would have been called on to run are accurate either.

I hope you don't feel insulted for that clearly was not my intent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like I said, Morris needs to run him up the middle 30 times***

Nov 20, 2014, 11:19 AM

Gee Whiz!! Heck, he was coming off a finger injury, not...

Nov 20, 2014, 11:13 AM

a leg injury. It is the same people who are slamming The Chad for his knee injury that would be blaming him for throwing too much coming off a broken finger. Crystal balls are pretty accurate after the fact.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't believe what I am reading here.

Nov 20, 2014, 11:21 AM

GT has a crappy defense. Our RB's can't run on them? We can't pass on them from the pocket? Really?

Nov 20, 2014, 11:24 AM

1. Thomas didnt run because he didnt have to. other things were working for them in their game plan. and btw their game plan got their rb hurt. 2. Watson running was working. you do what works. 3. So your philosophy is that a QB shouldnt be as tough as a RB?

How many times does Peyton Manning run the ball?***

Nov 20, 2014, 11:25 AM

lol now thats a laugh of a comparison btw dual threat and

Nov 20, 2014, 11:37 AM

statue

Right. And not protecting the QB is a virtual riot.***

Nov 20, 2014, 11:47 AM

Re: Right. And not protecting the QB is a virtual riot.***

Nov 20, 2014, 12:24 PM

I agree with the original post terrible game plan from CM. He finally gets a true duel threat QB and he tries to run him to death. Watson is only 190 lbs which is skinny for being 6'4". I blame the coaches as well, I knew he was going to get hurt running that much so early in the game. Worst part about it was when CS came in he had him running the read option. Cole runs what a 5.5 40?

I was screaming at the TV every time he ran.***

Nov 20, 2014, 12:52 PM

How many times did Winston run against Miami?***

Nov 20, 2014, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Re. Watson's run game @ GA TECH ]

Nov 20, 2014, 11:34 AM

Its also possible that the runs were due to his throwing hand not being 100%. Maybe by protecting one injury we inadvertantly caused the other. Or just really bad luck. I want DW4 doing lots of plyometrics and weight room work this off season. Hopefully we can train the brittleness out if him. Glucosamine! Calcium!

I thought the same thing as the 1st quarter unfolded. And

Nov 20, 2014, 12:34 PM

after reading Hood's article, it might have been a previous hit that caused DWs knee to buckle like it did (with no contact).

It IS our offense though, Boyd ran 25+ times on occasion. I know DW has the read to take what the D is giving him - and it was the run. Heck, if I was a D-Coordinator - I would be sure that his read made the run available. If he runs that many times, it increases the likelihood that he'll get hurt (or at least - he'll get tired).

I guess I would have eased him into the game more....

Remember when talking about depth - Stoudt was Boyd's backup too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson has a true NFL arm. What else do you need to know?***

Nov 20, 2014, 12:53 PM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic