Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watch the body posture and demeanor of Fields....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Watch the body posture and demeanor of Fields....

Dec 29, 2020, 12:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WanB_bscijs

Do you notice a cultural difference when you watch our players?

This is why we win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watch the body posture and demeanor of Fields....

Dec 29, 2020, 12:33 AM

I’m not ready to chalk that up to a culture difference between the two programs....
Mainly because I haven’t bothered to watch any of their player interviews beyond this one ...

But I will say that (at least to me) - his demeanor belies a lack of maturity...
Felt like I was watching a 16 year old kid ..

Definitely doesn’t strike me as a guy that would be cool and collected in the huddle when a game gets tight or a clutch play is needed...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of this guy.

Dec 29, 2020, 5:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reminds me of this guy.

Dec 29, 2020, 7:33 AM

This reminds me of everything I despised about the 90’s. I was early 20’s when it ended and applauded the Abercrombie era that came soon after

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes

Dec 29, 2020, 5:58 AM

Our guys actually have to attend a class on how to properly address the media.

Cultural, not sure how you can tell that from listening to one player.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's fair, but he's the leader and face of the program.

Dec 29, 2020, 9:10 AM

Sorry if I expect a little more maturity from him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 6:42 AM

I don't think it really says anything about his character or anything. He's obviously just a super laid back individual, and definitely not that interested in talking to the media. However, he may want to brush up on his interview skills before he starts talking to NFL executives at the combine in a couple of months.

Completely different from our players. And it shows on the field.***

Dec 29, 2020, 7:39 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 7:46 AM

Before the questions began, I saw a kid who was nervous and out of his element, not sure what he was supposed to do while sitting there.

During the interview, I saw a kid who was out of his comfort zone. Obviously not accustomed to being in front of a camera, even if it was a zoom meeting.

I didn't read a whole lot more into it than that. Many folks are not comfortable in those situations.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 8:31 AM

reminiscent of a young famous jameis winston?

The dude's been practically famous since 9th grade

Dec 29, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Watch the body posture and demeanor of Fields.... ]

I understand your point, but I'm not buying that.

Looks nervous to me too...

Dec 29, 2020, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Watch the body posture and demeanor of Fields.... ]

A lot of primping before his interview. They should change the interview chair so the folks being interviewed have to sit up straight.

Kid will be fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 7:59 AM

As someone who grew up on the rough side of the track without a paternal presence until junior high I’ll tell you what I notice. I’ve always paid close attention to this even while at Clemson. Although I wasn’t on a team I spent lots of time around the guys, even roomed with them off campus my junior and senior years because we had so much in common. Some come in ready but most are taught. Something I picked up on after Dabo’s hire was the attention he gives to each young man. For those that open up to him they have a profound internal transformation Or they improve on a steady foundation. I don’t know all programs nor have I seen all player interviews but for those that I have... I really detest most of the SEC players and coaches because I don’t see it in most of their players. The effort by Dabo and his staff are Remarkable how they start during recruiting to find young men who are malleable. IMO he looks for young men who respond to Love. I’m sorry if that sounds cheesy but I don’t know a better way to explain it. He actually cares about their future and who they will become outside of football. He actually cares about the influence they have on others especially each other. What they do with the PAW program is seismic for any young. Anyways this post is much longer than my usual but I’ll say that Fields to me looks like a young man using tOSU and his heart is somewhere else and sure culture is a major part of that

Dec 29, 2020, 9:07 AM

A few years ago I knew a guy that was a talented race car driver, he was moving up steadily through the ranks of NASCAR. He had moved up to the Truck series and had lower series wins at Daytona, etc.

Upper echelon teams started to take notice, but he was a southern kid with poor vocabulary, a lot of slang, and a strong backwoods accent. He was old school, grew up around old school engine builders, fabricators, and drivers.

When he was approached by a top team about being prepared for a bigger stage he was told he needed speech and etiquette lessons. He refused and his career basically plateaued. For a while he would test cars at tracks for Childress, Hendricks, Gibbs, etc. but that was the end of the road for his driving career (no pun intended).

Point is, corporate America isn't going to invest millions into a thug or a stubborn country boy. The coaches, teachers, and parents that can help offer guidance to help these kids speak correctly, have better manners, interact with CEO's, etc are only helping them advance their career on or off the field.

Dec 29, 2020, 9:28 AM

There is a lot of truth there. Nascar is always driven by the corporate sponsors and most sponsors really don't care about the sport. Drivers aren't drivers - they are spokesmen that happen to drive.

My father was a marketing exec and did a lot of work with the NASCAR (and a lot of other sports marketing) folks. He often biggest hurdle was convincing head corporate offices to even consider the "sport". Granted, this was the early 80s/90s, so many considered it a odd-ball event thing. In one case, he had a client willing to sponsoring mens Olympics gymnastics rather Nascar... in the Carolina region. It was one of those ### moments. Corporate's concern was they did not want their logo driven by a hick, and crash into flames. Meanwhile, my Dad's take is that no-one buying this companies product would give a crap about some gay Wisconsinite doing backflip in some warehouse in Minnesota. Yeah, eventually about 10+ years later that company in the mid 90s sponsored a car.... shesh. Still, it was fun, at least in the 80s there were some old-schoolers there but they still knew how to shill.

As for the speed issues, it is all about knowing your audience - and being adaptable. It is just like owning a business suit. You don't wear coveralls in a boardroom or in front of a judge/camera, you don't wear wingtips to feed the hogs. My guess is that a kid not willing to learn or work with whatever entity was a bigger redflag than the speech issue. If a kid can't read his audience, well, that is death on a hoof for any spokesman.

This is what I am seeing...

Dec 29, 2020, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Watch the body posture and demeanor of Fields.... ]

and loving on a kid and having their best interest at heart is not cheesy.

I look at it like this, he recruits a player and if they don't quite hit on the kid they don't give up on him. They don't take junior college transfers or portal kids (not yet anyway). I think that says all you need to know.

I guess this wasn't a knock on Fields so much as a credit to Dabo and his entire staff. I have watched a lot of player interviews and can't imagine our star quarterback (or any player) coming across like this.

Am I reading too much into it as some of you have pointed out? Maybe. I have been a teacher for 15 years it's just what I see but what do I know.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic