Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Want to try to make this non-political...but I think we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Want to try to make this non-political...but I think we

Jul 14, 2020, 10:01 AM

(the country) just didn't bear down long enough on the front end of this virus and didn't like having our lifestyles impacted so we lived the way we wanted to live (and I am not so much talking about jobs here) too early and too often. I think the protests, obviously, messed up our progress up in controlling this too.

Bottom line...I think as a result we probably won't have college football. Sort of like if you want something down the road you have to be willing to forgo certain things and make hard sacrifices in order to get it.

Just my two measly cents. Hope I kept that largely non-political.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ You did surroundedtiger..

Jul 14, 2020, 10:04 AM

so are you voting for Biden, Trump or Dabo?

LOL & G0 TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember...Dabo can never run for office now

Jul 14, 2020, 1:14 PM

since he wore a Football Matters t-shirt to the pool one day.

Re: Want to try to make this non-political...but I think we

Jul 14, 2020, 10:11 AM

I stayed locked down for 8 weeks and wear masks too. It doesn't work when everyone isn't on the same page. It's not even worth the effort to lockdown again imo.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2020, 10:13 AM

User Logo
Carlsbad®
Ring of Honor [34682]
TigerPulse: 100%
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 10:11 AM

I stayed locked down for 8 weeks and wear masks too. It doesn't work when everyone isn't on the same page. It's not even worth the effort to lockdown again imo.

and yet somehow you still got the deadly virus. how are you still able to type after your ordeal.

Jul 14, 2020, 10:48 AM

Its not very deadly and I went out after the lockdown back to normal. The lockdown didn't help me. I would oppose any other lockdowns. Waste of time.

Without another lockdown immediately, forget the fb season!***

Jul 14, 2020, 6:55 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Want to try to make this non-political...but I think we ]

I will say something I find interesting is how I've seen several people point out how other countries are getting back to normal in an attempt to argue that the United States is fabricating or overhyping the virus. Those people tend to ignore that those countries were able to enforce much stricter guidelines without their citizens having the freedom to ignore them.

I just find it ironic that the same people deciding to not wear masks or practice social distancing are the ones pointing out how countries that did actually follow those guidelines are mostly recovered at this point.

We, as a great nation,

Jul 14, 2020, 10:29 AM

is dum rat now. Collectively, we can only hope to recover from that affliction post haste.

I think people believe what they want to believe....

Jul 14, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Want to try to make this non-political...but I think we ]

no matter what the evidence is around them. All you have to do is look at South Korea. They are a free capitalist society. We got the first case THE DAY they did yet it's all but gone there. Now here we are about to miss football season six/seven months later.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why they could be so successful and we could not if all these measures are some bs media effort against conservatives.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way to be part of the problem and make it political Guy...

Jul 14, 2020, 11:38 AM

Good job by you

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think people believe what they want to believe....

Jul 14, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I think people believe what they want to believe.... ]

Because we didn't unite as a nation and follow the steps. They did. Everyone wore masks, social distanced, and were clean. Our nation winged it. It became political and others who weren't political were just slack.

Jul 14, 2020, 12:09 PM [ in reply to I think people believe what they want to believe.... ]

S. Korea has had 1.3M tests 2% death rate.

USA 42.4M tests 4% death rate. What is our rate if we subtract the COVID death squads that NY sent into nursing homes?

So you are saying if we cut it to 2% we get to play football? I wonder how many people in S.Korea died that were never tested since Jan?

Jul 14, 2020, 2:37 PM

Not sure what you are calculating as a 4% death rate - if you are dividing 130k deaths by 42 million that comes out to 0.3%.

Jul 14, 2020, 12:58 PM [ in reply to I think people believe what they want to believe.... ]

South Korea has dealt with similar viruses in recent history and had the experience, testing measures, and resources in place to nip it in the bud before it got out of control. From what I have gathered, the SK people’s experience with similar situations, and the government’s massive trace testing capacity at the onset were the major contributing factors that led to their success. The US (CDC in particular) did not have infrastructure in place to handle it as effectively. We essentially had to reinvent the wheel on how to handle these situations after the fact.

Asian cultures also tend to be a little more subservient to governments in general (for better or for worse) and will go along with gov decrees or ‘requests’ more willingly. While Western culture, and US in particular tends to be more skeptical of government and generally has a more fatalistic view of life.

Jul 14, 2020, 2:04 PM

Yeah, agree.

How many times in past years have you seen an Asian person wearing a mask in an airport? Lots! Still not sure why they do that (for them or for others), but they certainly have been doing it for many years as needed.

Plus, IMO Asians are more disciplined. And, it helps their population is a fraction of ours.

Well if you remember, it was always about

Jul 14, 2020, 10:19 AM

Flattening the Curve. They never said stopping the virus. They never said make it go to zero.

Social Distancing, masks, hand washing, all help with stopping it on a personal level, and slowing on a macro level.

It's going to spread. Maybe heard immunity can be reached to quell the spread. Maybe a vaccine can be found quickly, But it's here and will be for a long time.

^^^ this 100 times! ^^^

Jul 14, 2020, 10:43 AM

And it's a VIRUS, not an STD!

Virus will virus, mutate and spread until it is no longer effective (immunity, vaccination, whatever...)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly right...

Jul 14, 2020, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Well if you remember, it was always about ]

also tracing and testing, right? Some countries had more success and less spread. How were they successful and not us? This is the question a lot of people aren't asking because they don't want to see the answer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well it hasn’t been flattened for about 3 weeks now***

Jul 14, 2020, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Well if you remember, it was always about ]

The hope was that by flattening the curve

Jul 14, 2020, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Well if you remember, it was always about ]

case numbers would decline to the point that the virus was well-contained and we could largely live our lives in a normal fashion. Unfortunately, America's fiercely independent streak (which is normally a great thing) was quite harmful here, as too many people either resisted official recommendations or denied that the virus info was even real. As a result, we are seeing a rise in cases.

I'm not minimizing the frustrating lack of information early on regarding the virus, nor the shift from flattening the curve to getting a vaccine. But the vaccine talk wouldn't be what it is if more Americans had done a better job of staying home, wearing masks, etc., and case numbers had gone down.

Other countries have done a much better job than we have. For example, as mentioned earlier in this thread, South Korea united together and followed recommendations. Today, their case number is far lower than ours and they are enjoying a more normal existence now. The irony is that they gave up more "freedom" in the short-term, which has resulted in more "freedom" in the long run.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The hope was that by flattening the curve

Jul 14, 2020, 1:41 PM

The irony is that they gave up more "freedom" in the short-term, which has resulted in more "freedom" in the long run.

Sort of like a mature person (country) might do.

I thought it was pretty neutral...

Jul 14, 2020, 10:46 AM

The silver lining to all this (if there is any), might be that this was sort of a practice run for something much more sinister possibly down the road.

I am not discounting the ones who have lost their lives or suffered. I am only saying that there could be a pandemic worse than this one someday. I think we can learn a lot from this one to help us prepare for the enviable next time.

Interesting read in Forbes about protesting in San Francisco during the Spanish Flu of 1918, masks, etc. I will put the link below.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kionasmith/2020/04/29/protesting-during-a-pandemic-isnt-new-meet-the-anti-mask-league/#61e1d77c12f9

Re: I thought it was pretty neutral...

Jul 14, 2020, 1:05 PM

That is something that has worried me. What if this had been the deadly virus that virologist say is coming? There would possibly be thirty million deaths, and counting. Scary to think about.

I know. I think we need to bring PPE manufacturing

Jul 14, 2020, 1:11 PM

back in the US. I actually agree with Graham on this point.

Re: I know. I think we need to bring PPE manufacturing

Jul 14, 2020, 5:20 PM

I don't disagree, however the PPE problem was exacerbated by the unfortunate coincidence that the country where so many of these things are made was also one of the hardest hit - at least at first.

Also plenty of American companies were ready to jump in and supply PPE, but they couldn't get the Government to agree to contracts that would make it worth their while to start back up.

very interesting about the contracts***

Jul 14, 2020, 5:21 PM

A novel virus meets human nature. Result = pandemic.

Jul 14, 2020, 11:49 AM

It really is NOT anyone's fault.

It's just a virus doing virus things. Nothing would have prevented this. Ask any country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A novel virus meets human nature. Result = pandemic.

Jul 14, 2020, 12:21 PM

Actually, it is a lot of folks "not doing their part".

Here we can see that those living in more urbanized areas are actually nipping spread in the bud. (For "major" they are looking at high-urban dominated states like NY, NJ, Ma, Ill, Cali, & Pn that had a high initial outbreak compared to the rest of the nation.

Arizona is the prime example of how not to do things as they virus was more or less in check (flat curve) and then spreads rapidly.

">

Jul 14, 2020, 12:21 PM

Jul 14, 2020, 2:01 PM

Wonder if all those folks streaming across the border have anything to do with that? Of course not. Its all those darned people rioting in the streets. Oops no it isn't them either. Its the red hat wearing Nazis who are the problem. Yeah that's the ticket, let's go with that.

I love stats and how they can be manipulated. I never knew

Jul 14, 2020, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: A novel virus meets human nature. Result = pandemic. ]

we only had 6 major states. How about that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love stats and how they can be manipulated. I never knew

Jul 14, 2020, 1:06 PM

They just had to add states until they could water down NY and NJ enough to make their point.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I love stats and how they can be manipulated. I never knew

Jul 14, 2020, 1:47 PM

Kinda

Those 6 states accounted for more than 50% of the initial outbreak. So when we say "major", we are talking about "hot-spots" especially in urbanized areas where spread is much faster to happen. The combined population of those states is about 100 million (1/3 of the US) and thus the outbreak accounting for over 1/2 of the cases is significant.

Now what is the excuse of the the other 44 states with a upward trend, especially states like Az. It is simple personal responsibility. Now, does it take a complete outbreak/local gutting of activity to finally make folks take it seriously? Maybe, I guess we can check back with AZ in Sept.

As a math teacher, I respect the heck out of your comment

Jul 14, 2020, 1:33 PM [ in reply to I love stats and how they can be manipulated. I never knew ]

Yes, stats can be manipulated to show bias. Sometimes they are even out-right fabricated. I have seen several made-up graphs from the "CDC" on Facebook myself.

However, can you see past your own bias? I think everyone needs to ask this question, including myself.

Anyway, the spike doesn't appear to be isolated to one state. Do you agree?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

Jul 14, 2020, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: A novel virus meets human nature. Result = pandemic. ]

That’s a very pretty graph. It would almost be useful except they don’t contrast the number of cases with the number of tests given which has greatly increased over time. Numbers are funny.

Jul 14, 2020, 5:21 PM [ in reply to A novel virus meets human nature. Result = pandemic. ]

ATL,

Then why did so many countries do a much better job of dealing with the virus than we did ??

Jul 14, 2020, 1:56 PM

Yet when we were "living how we wanted to live", which included all should and nonessential businesses being closed for months we had people dying en masse. Now that most places are at least partially reopened we are having higher positives but the death rate has plummeted. Sounds like a good reason for all of us to go back to hiding under our beds and pretending that we all lived forever and nobody ever died of diseases or viruses. Once this virus has a vaccine we can all go back to ignoring the tens of thousands the flu kills every year. Every one of which caught it from someone else.

Jul 14, 2020, 5:06 PM

Why do people keep bringing up the flu killing tens of thousands every year as if it's an apples to apples comparison to C19?

For the 2018-2019 flu season in the United states, an estimated 35.5 million people had the flu with an estimated 34,200 deaths. That's not a small number of deaths, and that's tragic for those and their families. However, how that can be compared to 3.5 million cases of C19 resulting in 138,954 deaths is beyond me. If it's confusing to you why so many more measures are being taken against a virus that has already killed over 104,000 more people than the flu did last year even with 32 million less cases then I'm not sure it's possible to make you understand.

Jul 14, 2020, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Want to try to make this non-political...but I think we ]

We need to quit comparing it to the flu. The flu kills 20,00- to 50,000 people in our country per year. It preys on older infirm people like cover does. Covid has killed 135,000 people in 4 months with no let up in sight. When you compare the U.S. response to it compared to the rest of the world we have failed miserably. Yet we have top tier medical care, hospitals, universities, and scientists. So what could it be??

What if antibodies don’t last?

Jul 14, 2020, 2:47 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/14/immunity-to-covid-19-uk-study.html

Essentially means it’s here to stay even if they make a vaccine

Re: What if antibodies don’t last?

Jul 14, 2020, 4:35 PM

If antibodies don’t last then there better be a huge push to get everyone up to sufficient vitamin D levels. An antiviral treatment will have be found as well.

You can prove

Jul 14, 2020, 5:32 PM

Or disprove anything in the world with statistics. They mean nothing in most cases. Facts on the other hand are always facts!

You can statistically predict how many houseflys will be born in a year and how long it will take for us all to be waist deep in fly “droppings” but factually .... it ain’t gonna happen.

I barely made a c is statistical analysis and you now see why!

Without another lockdown immediately, forget the fb season!***

Jul 14, 2020, 6:56 PM

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic