Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson alumni, serious question, ..........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Clemson alumni, serious question, ..........

Dec 23, 2020, 3:51 PM

What was your "go to" beer while in school?

Not the stuff like Schaefer we'd stuff the cooler with for a party.

Your "go to" beer in a bar downtown (other than draft/draught) ... Not necessarily your favorite beer, but the ones you drank the most.

In the 80's when I was there we killed the ...

Natural Light
Michelob Light
Budweiser (Esp @ the Gameroom)

And I NEVER missed $,75 Molson Night (Wednesdays) at Sloan Street! But I drank Moosehead till Jimmy ran out then he'd start giving me Molson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

25c

Dec 23, 2020, 3:55 PM

Old Milwaukee's at the Red Carpet Lounge.

tigercee

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very cool, what year did you graduate?

Dec 23, 2020, 4:33 PM

The Red Carpet became TTT around 78. So you were early 70's ?

Re: Very cool, what year did you graduate?

Dec 24, 2020, 9:47 AM

December 1972 - EE major.

tigercee

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very cool, what year did you graduate?

Dec 24, 2020, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Very cool, what year did you graduate? ]

1972..... memories are foggy now. But Dec. 1, 1969 the WU teletype next door to Red Carpet printed out draft lottery # 304. Hazy after that.

Re: 25c

Dec 23, 2020, 6:11 PM [ in reply to 25c ]

There's somebody my age. ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: 25c

Dec 24, 2020, 9:47 AM

If almost 71 is your age, then yes. Graduated in 1972.

tigercee

Old Mil and Red Carpet sounds

Dec 23, 2020, 11:02 PM [ in reply to 25c ]

Good to me.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

schlitz malt liquors at the Attic above Nick's = 25 cents***

Dec 23, 2020, 3:58 PM

Re: Clemson alumni, serious question, ..........

Dec 23, 2020, 3:59 PM

Budweiser.

Unless something was on sale...then whatever was on sale.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 4:29 PM

Fosters Lager(25oz) preferably, everyone thought I was drinking motor oil.But of course in college whatever was available at the party.Started drinking imports in HS when you could buy beer or liquor and no one checked IDs.

Dec 23, 2020, 4:32 PM

Downtown Michelob or Bud.Draft at Edgars for MNF.

A bottle of Boone's Farm or MD 20/20 before the trip

Dec 23, 2020, 4:21 PM

downtown wiped out all my taste buds so it didn't really matter what I drank after that...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 4:27 PM

PBR

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 11:12 AM

TigerLinks said:

PBR

^^^ This is the correct answer

Dec 23, 2020, 4:30 PM

Pitchers of Bud Lite ran like water in the 80s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yes they did, but we ALL drank draft beer on the cheap!

Dec 23, 2020, 4:39 PM

That's why I put in the qualifier .... your favorite non-draft beer.

I was '84-'88 and knew a lot of swimmers. We probably hung out together if you were there at the same time. I helped the swim team with the Special Olympics one year.

Dec 23, 2020, 5:11 PM

So interesting question. Mine was Old Milwaukee. Not only did I like it, but it was cheap and because it had a stigma, my Old Mils were always safe in the party cooler (i.e., I didn't have to worry about anyone taking my beer).

One of my favorite stories was about a gentleman that loved Old Mil but caught all kinds of grief if he supplied Old Milwaukee for his parties. So when he had a Keg party, he would buy a Keg of Old Milwaukee but he would lay a Michelob keg-seal on top of the keg. The Part go-ers would compliment him all through the night about how great the beer was and that you just couldn't get any better than Michelob! He would just smile and say "I'll toast to that"!

If you are interested the beer culture in Clemson, here is an excerpt from the 1977 Chronicle (A CU literary magazine). If you don't want to read the whole excerpt just skip to the bottom for the taste test that was done and a list of available beers in Clemson.

Despite the crazy little twists people come up with, drinking beer doesn't get too complicated. But choosing which beer to drink can. There are only 25 to 35 different kinds of beer sold in this area (Clemson) alone.

Take' em one at a time, and you could get very drunk before you found the "best" beer. By then it all tastes good. So the Chronicle decided to do the work for you (that's our excuse), and hold a beer tasting session, inviting students to come sample free.

Would you believe no one showed up? We had to send the National Guard home in one piece. But we tried again, and this time, we enlisted the help of some of the Greeks, and we wrote the names down, (in case of no shows).

For tasters, we had 16 people, both Greeks and civilians, with representatives from the major distributors present. Now, the original ale tasters in London, called Connors, knew how to judge beer properly: they used leather trousers. To test the brew, they poured a little of it on a wooden bench and sat on it. If, after three minutes, their trousers stuck to the bench, the beer was proclaimed "good for a man's body in lawful measure". However, the Chronicle preferred to stick to drinking it, and let the Connors sit on it.

So we divided the 16 people into 4 groups, and gave each person either 3 or 4 brands of different beer, in unmarked glasses. Each group choose the two beers it liked best, and the total of eight beers were tested as finalists. Everyone sampled all eight, and voted for the one they liked best. "The ballot please. Thank you.

And the winner is. . .."
1st. Old Milwaukee
2nd. Miller Lite
3rd. Schlitz Lite

The above beers were chosen from the following.
Budweiser
Michelob
Miller High Life
Pearl
Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer
Andeker
Schlitz
Schlitz Lite
Stroh's
Lowenbrau
Pearl Lite

The Chronicle would like to thank
the Study Hall and the distributors for making the beer tasting contest possible.

Until later, cheers! Bottoms up! And pass another beer, writing is hard work.

Coors Light or Killian's Red***

Dec 23, 2020, 5:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I loved Killian's Red

Dec 23, 2020, 6:29 PM

But didn’t really start drinking that until right after I left Clemson in the late 80s. And that was the one beer where I liked the draft version better. When they started putting it in cans and bottles and mass producing it lost something And just did not taste the same. It definitely didn’t have quite as much of that red taste. It started losing that unique taste when they start mass producing it.

Dec 23, 2020, 5:29 PM

Never bought that highfalutin beer in a can or bottle. Draft all the way especially with all the Quarter Beer nights available, along with Beat the Clock and I don't recall the name of the one where prices went up as soon as someone had to 'go'.

For the weekend, Old Milwaukee in a can, always on sale at the Red Dot Store.

Dec 23, 2020, 6:40 PM

Great question. Bringing back lots of memories at parked and Study Hall and the Library. Miller Lite when I drank which wasn’t too much. Enough to remember though!

90s: Busch Light from Magic Mart (or was it spelled Majic Mart?)***

Dec 23, 2020, 6:45 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 11:05 PM

I fell in love with Corona when someone else could afford it.

Dec 23, 2020, 11:36 PM

Natural Light. 6-8 was always a good number. If I had more than say 10 then it was downhill from there. Good times.

Love Clemson in the 80s.

Dec 24, 2020, 8:20 AM

PBR at Esso. Mickeys Big Mouth at upper deck. Bud everywhere else.

Dec 24, 2020, 9:59 AM

Oh man, I forgot about wide mouth Mickeys.

What was the name of that little hole in the wall between Plez-U and The Corporation/Strawberries/TD’s? It became a Greek restaurant.

They always had Mickey’s cheap for happy hour. I remember watching The Next Move play there more times than I count!

Penny Annie’s***

Dec 24, 2020, 10:27 AM

Re: Penny Annie’s***

Dec 24, 2020, 6:30 PM

Dime drafts.

Also College station for $5 pitchers of Long Island Ice tea

Dec 24, 2020, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson alumni, serious question, .......... ]

The Next Move is scheduled to play the Windjammer in July...my wife says we’re going. Brings back some good (and hazy) memories.

Exsqueeze me?

Dec 24, 2020, 11:38 PM

And how do you know that little tidbit of information?

I was very good friends with those guys as well as Doug Jones and his sisters. After they broke up and Jimbo and Ricky joined Doug to form Cravin’ Melon I did not think I would ever see them play again. Ray told me that they get together and play every now and then and Doug plays solo down in Charleston every once in a while.

I practically lived at the Windjammer during the 80s and 90s. Anytime those guys or Hootie played the jammer it was like Friday nights in Tigertown.

In fact, fall of 89 I was in the Windjammer on Wednesday night before hurricane Hugo blew it away on Thursday night and in Tiger Town Tavern on Friday night.

My last show at the jammer was Edwin McCain about a year ago.

Have you ever seen Cowboy Mouth at the Windjammer?

I have seen a lot of bands and been to a lot of concerts including Phish (Y2K in the Everglades was outrageous!) and plenty of Panic, including Phish/Panic/Phish on back to back to back nights with Phish in Raleigh and Atlanta and Panic in Charlotte. But nobody puts on a better show than Cowboy Mouth, especially at the Windjammer!!!

I would love to see the The Grateful Brothers at the Windjammer, especially if Larry Williams was tagging along! They recently played the Pour House on James Island sans Larry. His wife is not letting him make it to Charleston too many times with those guys!

Busch but Budweiser on payday***

Dec 24, 2020, 8:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mid 70's, it was usually Budweiser, the King of Beers. Next

Dec 24, 2020, 8:22 AM

would probably have been Coors, since it was not super widely available around here back then.

But, you also had the lowest of the low, a simple white can with black block letters: GIANT FOOD BEER

That stuff probably had recycled antifreeze in it. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 8:30 AM

Sad to say that during my time at Clemson I didn't have $$ for stuff like beer. Had to try to save $$ for gas in the car. However, when the fraternities were having rush parties, and giving out free beers...Budweiser.

Mid-Late 80's

Dec 24, 2020, 8:31 AM

Natural Light no doubt. Who else remembers nickel draft at Crazy Zacks?

Re: Mid-Late 80's

Dec 24, 2020, 10:06 AM

Wasn’t that on Sunday nights? That place was always crazy!

Did you ever go to summer school?

During summer school on Sunday nights $1 vodka at that little bar upstairs above the clubhouse out at Golden Woods Apartments!

And on Monday nights during the summer TD’s had 2 for 1 margaritas. When you bought one they would give you the mini bottle of Tequila for the other and you simply took it back to the bar when you were ready for the drink, but we would go back to the table and we would pop the top of the mini bottle and drink it like a shot then drink our margarita! I don’t remember a lot Monday nights during that summer!

Summer School was the best

Dec 24, 2020, 11:04 AM

I spent three summers at Clemson. Two in summer school and one just working. Couldn't beat Clemson in the summer, go to class for a few hours, work a little bit, fish or ski on the lake in the afternoons, intramural softball, hit the bars at night. Came back one time for second session just to take a Chemistry class.

Re: Summer School was the best

Dec 24, 2020, 10:22 PM

I have told everyone that skipped summer at Clemson that they missed out! Summer school was freaking amazing and so much fun. Almost every afternoon there was a pool party at some apartment complex or out on the lake and every night Tigertown was packed!

I would take a very hard class and a very easy class with the easy class first so I could sleep off the hangover and pay enough attention in the hard class to at least make a C without having to study and with an easy A in the early class you end up with no worse than a 3.0 for summer school and mom and dad didn’t realize I drank my way through the summer! And it meant I didn’t have to sit through the two hardest classes in finance and accounting during an entire semester!

But it was just also how laid-back everything was. I mean walking around campus in the summer and you got all those kids running around and all the people there for camps and it was just super laid-back and relaxed everyone was just totally chill. And the campus really is beautiful during the summer and there’s not near as many people around town and it’s funny how you find yourself in completely different social groups and meeting people and doing things you would never do during the regular school year!

Dec 24, 2020, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Mid-Late 80's ]

Summertime = $1 pitchers at TTT (late 80’s).

Dec 24, 2020, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Mid-Late 80's ]

I remember when they were a private club so they could stay open on Saturday nights. Also that big hill to onto 123. Don’t see how now that there were not a lot of wrecks.

What was the bar next to crazy zacks that is where a tiger sports store is now.

Anyone remember corporation 123 in central?There would be a shuttle on some nights from the corporation downtown.

Anyone remember 12:01 parties in the quad?

Dec 24, 2020, 9:18 PM

Meant Corp 93

Dec 24, 2020, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Mid-Late 80's ]

12:01 parties in the quad after a huge win by The football team were always outrageous!

Fall of 87 after David Treadwell kicked the FG with 2 seconds left on the clock to beat Georgia was the 12:01 party to end all parties!!!

Dec 24, 2020, 9:45 AM

Miller Lite...35 cents can beer on Thursday nights at Bullwinkles.

Michelob Dark at Nick's and eating a corn dog...wonder if they still serve those?

Dec 24, 2020, 10:02 AM

PBR at Tiger Den also known as Lester's Lounge. Late '60's. Lester's was located where Ace Hardware is located now.

Dec 24, 2020, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson alumni, serious question, .......... ]

I was a freshman in 84 and I think Bullwinkle‘s became Crazy Zack‘s in 85. I remember when they would have really cheap draft and sometimes maybe during summer school start out at $.05 a cup at around 7 because no one wanted to go out there till after midnight.

I absolutely loved hanging out at Nick‘s And they definitely had the best and more eclectic beer selection, but then they were catering to a different audience. Alumni, professors, people with a more mature taste in music and beer, etc. and the corn dogs were great, but I really loved the chicken strip sandwiches. And come on man, when you were at Nick‘s it was all about the fried ‘shrooms!

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

colt45***

Dec 24, 2020, 10:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

PBR or Miller Lite.***

Dec 24, 2020, 10:19 AM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Stroh's Light

Dec 24, 2020, 12:28 PM

Stroh's Light and sometimes Bud/Bud Light longnecks. Man, have my tastes changed. I like an IPA now.

Class of '87

Budweiser longnecks..........

Dec 24, 2020, 12:35 PM

??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 1:36 PM

Bush light, Budweiser..class of 1994

Dec 24, 2020, 1:39 PM

Nicks. Budweiser
TTT
Sloan st occasionally

Dec 24, 2020, 1:39 PM

Nicks. Budweiser
TTT
Sloan st occasionally

pbr or miller high life!

Dec 24, 2020, 8:41 PM

purty much what i drink to this day.

BUSCH LIGHT hands down.

Dec 24, 2020, 10:34 PM

In the Mid-2000s at Frat parties and House Parties!

Natural light esp. bottle cases at plez u

Dec 24, 2020, 10:43 PM

And bud .

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic