Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
VT and Fuente
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,844

VT and Fuente

Dec 16, 2020, 9:50 AM

I was checking other signing classes and with the news of VT sticking with Fuente, I was particularly interested in their signing class. It seems his days are numbered in Blacksburg as they have gotten so inconsistent and average and he is bringing in worse talent year by year. Last tear was terrible and this years class is the epitome of average. They have sunk into mediocrity and may be stuck there for awhile.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: VT and Fuente

Dec 16, 2020, 9:53 AM

I am kinda shocked that he is staying. My guess, the AD put out some quiet feelers, didn't get the response he hoped for, and then decided to stick with Fuente and give VT a full year to shop around.

I guess they don't want to be the Coots or Texas and blunder into a decision.

Dec 16, 2020, 9:57 AM

I don't think they could afford it despite what they say in public.

I think you are 100% correct

Dec 16, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: VT and Fuente ]

When he's fired next year, they will have a replacement ready.

Re: I think you are 100% correct

Dec 16, 2020, 10:29 AM

The day VT announced Fuentes would return as coach, 2 of their starting OL players (4*) announced they were entering the transfer portal.

The AD attacked their fans, calling them a "mob." It's a mess up there.

Dec 16, 2020, 11:01 AM

This has to only help us with OL Gunner Givens, 2022 recruit, right?

Dec 16, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I think you are 100% correct ]

I agree. A year long search committee should have good results

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2020, 11:23 AM

Let's hope.

If he works a miracle and wins 10 games next year, I wouldn't mind giving him another year (but no contract extension!). He has painted himself into a corner with only 2 ways out: (a) win big, or (b) get fired.

his days are numbered, whether ts 2021 or 2022...

Dec 16, 2020, 11:39 AM

I like Fuente but its not working out there. VT should be able to get a long list of coaching candidates...great school, beautiful place to live, great fans and home field, facilities, etc. And you can solely recruit NC, VA and the DMV and end up with a top 15-20 at a minimum every year.

Re: his days are numbered, whether ts 2021 or 2022...

Dec 16, 2020, 11:51 AM

DMV as in motor vehicles? If so, that's hilarious. Anyway, I looked at theirs too and was dissapointed because he seems like a great coach on the outside. His first few classes were good. They were right on the cusp of having a good season, same as Pitt.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: his days are numbered, whether ts 2021 or 2022...

Dec 16, 2020, 1:37 PM

delmarva

Delaware Maryland Virginia

The other thing I think might be important is that there were rumors that the end of the Beamer reign that there might have been some improper academic/athletic issues -likely all Seth Greenberg's attitude. The admin needed someone to hold over and quietly clean it up. Now, those are just a few internal rumors (and my Family is most VT folks) but no-one really wanted to point a flashlight into Beamer's closet. It might have been just "unsupervised" assistants making "mistakes" but still. Fix it quietly and move on.

Also to note: much of Ped State's revival was a few talented kids from Ashburn/Tidewater VA if I remember correctly. Normally those would go to tech... and like Ferrell too

Dec 16, 2020, 1:23 PM

I give him credit this season. He was down 20+ players and a coordinator for 2 or 3 games, but still played. A walk-on freshman stated at CB for one game. They lost a couple of close games, but had some bad loses as well. I wish him well.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,844
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic