Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Urban Meyer as college football TV analyst. Really?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Urban Meyer as college football TV analyst. Really?

Aug 19, 2019, 11:03 PM

Maybe there's a "wild side" to Urban we haven't seen. Also, I hate to judge what somebody can do until they've settled in. But Urban Meyer on Fox Sports on a show that will try to rival ESPN's "College Gameday?" Hmmm....

Just a thought, but I can't think of a quieter, more introverted, camera-shy candidate for such a list than Meyer.

In similar roles in sports TV, we have loudmouths, crazies and moderate but still interesting characters. Some of the calmer yet compelling voices are those like Joel Klatt, Howie Long, Kirk Herbstreit, Brock Huard, Sean McDonough, Mack Brown, Holly Rowe, Maria Taylor, Jon Gruden.

Wilder ones are like Terry Bradshaw.

Somewhere in the middle but natural talents - those like David Pollack, Greg McElroy, Joey Galloway, Dave Wannstedt, Jimmy Johnson, Michael Strahan.

One guy I judged too early was Booger McFarland, who was shaky at first but now has his feet firmly on the ground.

Urban had an ESPN stint briefly after coaching FL, but he was stiff as a board, as you'd imagine.

Maybe there IS a guy inside Urban who's more interesting than watching paint dry, but if so, he better appear soon, and if he does, it will be the biggest surprise of this football TV season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought he did very well when he did it during

Aug 19, 2019, 11:22 PM

his previous vacation a few years ago. Lets the audience in on what is going on without sounding like a know it all. And he said some very good things about us, basically a 2 minute commercial during a game of ours he covered. The second best guy in the game - at that time - told a national audience we got it going on from the foundation up. No telling what that was worth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he’ll only do it a couple of years and take the USC job***

Aug 19, 2019, 11:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Urban Meyer as college football TV analyst. Really?

Aug 19, 2019, 11:48 PM

I remember Urban Meyer in the studio a few years ago for a game or two and he did quite well. The way he broke things down and described what happened reminded me of Tony Romo, except Romo is a natural ham and has a nice sense of humor.

UM isn't as quiet and introverted as you think. In the studio, he's not the defensive, evasive guy you've seen under interrogation by the press.

For the record, I have no respect for UM. Any school that would hire him as coach should be ashamed.

As I recall, he gave best analysis........

Aug 20, 2019, 12:19 AM

of what was happening on the field and what needed to happen than any body I have heard.

I remember flipping to a game and hearing a guy actually speaking with knowledge and authority and saying to myself "who the he!! is this that knows his stuff?" and it was UM.

Message was edited by: JParris®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Urban Meyer was the best analyst I've ever heard at the

Aug 20, 2019, 1:00 AM

college level. Him, with Chris Spielman & Dave Pasch they gave the best game coverage when we played Auburn in 2011.

Gave lots of great insight. Did not talk too much. Called a lot of plays & strategies happening during the game, even the most knowledgeable fans wouldn't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGzQVLqZqCs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Urban Meyer was the best analyst I've ever heard at the

Aug 20, 2019, 7:02 AM

Thanks to TigerCC & others for giving me a different perspective on Urban as a viable TV football guy. 2011 was one of my busiest years ever, so I only caught snippets of Meyer, mostly studio situations - not analyzing live games from the booth.

I had sort of forgotten how big that Auburn win was for Dabo & CU. Urban did a good job as analyst during that one at DV. In a "Gameday-like" setting, previewing upcoming games, he'll have to be adding good stuff, but he seems to be up to the task. We'll give him some time on Fox Sports & see how it goes (before he takes the USC job).

Who knows, though - maybe he'll stick with TV.

He was incredible in the booth for ESPN in 2011

Aug 20, 2019, 7:49 AM

He will probably be great on this as well.

Re: He was incredible in the booth for ESPN in 2011

Aug 20, 2019, 7:52 AM

You got to admit.....the dude knows football. I like to hear him.
TOL

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 8:02 AM

UM is one of the best in the business. Put him with Kirk Herbie and get rid of CF. Fowler is the worst.

He was actually pretty good at it the last time he did it

Aug 20, 2019, 8:11 AM

Not surprised he got another gig right out the box.

Aug 20, 2019, 9:14 AM

All of those traits you listed describing him on camera are when he was a coach.

Everybody is quiet, introverted, and camera-shy when they are hiding something.

He will not likely be investigated for his tactics as an analyst and therefore will be much more entertaining and forthcoming with his knowledge of the game.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic