Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USC's penalties should help our recruiting this year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

USC's penalties should help our recruiting this year.

Apr 28, 2012, 9:52 AM

They have to sign two less players and the number of visits have been cut in half. This could be the deciding factor with several players deciding between us and the coots.

What's our number up to as far as how many can we sign? 17?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USC's penalties should help our recruiting this year.

Apr 28, 2012, 9:58 AM

They are not restricted on how many they can bring in they are only restricted on the total number of scholarships they can carry

Instead of 85, they can only carry 82. And that doesnt even take effect until next year

The reduction in the amount of official visits is a joke as well. Most schools do use near the total number of OV they are allowed.

They are restricted to 30 OV for one year, last year they only used 29

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I pretty much agree....

Apr 28, 2012, 10:10 AM

I'm not sure how the chickens scholarship reduction will adversely affect their recruiting.....unless HS recruits and coaches seeing three additional players run off by Spurrier illuminates his despicable practice of "roster management"

What I am relatively certain of, however, is that the chickens hiring of Bob Thuggins' disiciple Frank Martin will have the NCAA back in Columbia before long..........

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "penalties" are a joke. Even Carolina fans know they

Apr 28, 2012, 10:10 AM

pulled it off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup

Apr 28, 2012, 10:17 AM

The NCAA doesn't have the sack to lay down a real punishment anymore. Chickens should celebrate: they cheated and got away with it, again.

Re: The "penalties" are a joke. Even Carolina fans know they

Apr 28, 2012, 1:45 PM [ in reply to The "penalties" are a joke. Even Carolina fans know they ]

i'll admit we got off lightly, but its not the same as completely being let off without punishment. Seems as if our athletic department or whoever handles the appeals used the right strategy of just trying to be as helpful as possible to the NCAA and it worked

The penalties fit the violations

Apr 29, 2012, 1:14 AM [ in reply to The "penalties" are a joke. Even Carolina fans know they ]

USC could have put way less stringent self-imposed restrictions, but that could have pissed off the NCAA and resulted in harsher penalties. USC played ball correctly, and the NCAA basically accepted the self-imposed penalties. Despite his oft sly and sarcastic jabs at opposing teams, Spurrier runs a clean program. The man has a terribly big ego, but a big part of that ego is his reputation.

Apr 28, 2012, 10:55 AM

honestly, we only go head to head with them on 6-7 prospects a year. not sure it's going to make a huge difference.

Apr 28, 2012, 12:58 PM

us and the coots,yes. but add into that other acc and sec schools (that go head-to-head with usuc for recruits) and the punishments just got (seemingly) more severe. if you can't go on an official visit,chances are you won't go to that, uh,school. that, imo, will hurt them more than the 3 schollie losses/yr,also the top end losses of 85 on schollie was hit by the reductions,which also handicaps them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2012, 1:04 PM

Sg tiger, you are not paying attention

They still get 30 official visits, that is plenty. Again, they only used 29 last year

Also, most teams will not carry a full 85 scholarship players in most years

Apr 28, 2012, 4:24 PM

i don't think the numbers you are stating are right. they signed between what 23-25 players,29 o.v's would mean only 4 or 5 visited (officially) and didn't sign? that is a VERY high %. i know we say at clemson that if they visit,we have a shot, but our % is not near that high.

Sorry, Sarge. But they are right. The effect on SCar is

Apr 29, 2012, 9:23 PM

miniscule. They (no one would) did not recommend a self-imposed penalty that would handcuff them. That's why we were counting on the NCAA to pile on. But the NCAA decided to look the other way.

Kerrect! This "Penalty"

Apr 29, 2012, 12:24 AM [ in reply to Re: USC's penalties should help our recruiting this year. ]

is not going to make any difference in head-to-head recruiting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2012, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: USC's penalties should help our recruiting this year. ]

Never quite understood how/why it happens that the Gamecocks and Tigers don't cross paths on more players than 6-7 a year - if that many.

about 17

Apr 28, 2012, 11:06 AM

but it was rumored we would get up to 20. may have some off season defections which is pretty typical.

I think the public reprimand will open some doors. Dont know how they bounce back from that. (sarcasm)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: about 17

Apr 28, 2012, 3:57 PM

Off-season defections? Sounds like "roster management" to me.

Apr 28, 2012, 11:50 AM

Well, here is the biggest thing they got hit with IMO: Probation. There are many of us here who think the ##### have been "pushing the envelope" in recruiting. Especially in places like Rock Hill. But,Carolina is going to have to strictly play by the rules for three years or they're going to get hit with more than a hand slap under the repeat offender rule.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2012, 2:14 PM

That is a great point. I doubt their fans understand how short their leash is, and things like the Rock Hill connection and others may finish sinking their boat, because I doubt they stop. All it will take is another Clowney type riding in another fancy car to make things unbearable for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2012, 3:40 PM

the problem here is that it does not appear anywhere in the report, and no one will ever admit it, but during the investigation, the ncaa did in fact look again into rock hill. Obviously they found nothing. and that avenue is now closed.

Of course, I doubt that town puts out a prospect the calibre of Clowney again for a long long time anyway.

Apr 30, 2012, 8:14 AM

A major infraction of any type can send them a devastating blow, whether it is a repeat of one of the previous transgressions or a different major infraction. That is why the leash is short, but hopefully their boosters will assume it doesn't matter and ignore the message.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We can only hope they get caught

Apr 28, 2012, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: USC's penalties should help our recruiting this year. ]

It seems clear to me that several coot recruits' parents have been paid off via jobs and such. Maybe we can help the NCAA out these next few years.

How else can you explain someone wanting to come to USUX - the armpit of the south? Bribery.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We can only hope they get caught

Apr 30, 2012, 2:47 PM

I live in that 'armpit' and there's not another place in the state of South Carolina I would so much as give a second look -
Charleston? 'Bon and razed' there. Wouldn't move back there if you gave me the place.

Myrtle Beach? You mean 'Ohio on the Atlantic'? Forget it.

Greenville - Anderson - Spartanburg? I'd just as soon move to southern West Virgina.

York County? Maybe, Tega Cay or Fort Mill, possibly.

That's it for me. I'll stick with Lexington-Gilbert-Lake Murray. God's country.

Re: Re: USC's penalties should help our recruiting this year.

Apr 28, 2012, 12:04 PM

Those @&$)(;:er's were within the window for repeat violator status from holtz. NCAA is a joke.

you think they care about signing 2 less players?

Apr 28, 2012, 12:21 PM

they'll just cut 2 more to make room for them

You're naive if you believe that. penalties will have....

Apr 28, 2012, 12:24 PM

very little impact. They will continue to oversign and adjust.

Apr 28, 2012, 3:31 PM

Not really how many times they need to visit, so the rock hill bag man has the correct address

Unfortunately, NO. They got away with it. Think "OJ"

Apr 28, 2012, 6:09 PM

or DB Cooper.

The NCAA got outvoted on this one folks....

Apr 30, 2012, 8:36 AM

NCAA - increase penalties

ESPN - accept penalties

SEC - accept penalties

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic