Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
US COVID deaths by age
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 3,727

US COVID deaths by age

May 3, 2020, 8:54 AM

My wife and I are in the age 65-74 age and that group has the 3rd highest number of US deaths as of May 1 according to the CDC. Yes, we have not decided if we will attend football games. There are 70 reported deaths from a combination of COVID and pneumonia for people under 25 and 10,858 in ages 25-64. When we are born, we start our road to death but we don't have to speed if we have a choice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn’t sound good - cause of death......

May 3, 2020, 8:59 AM

football addiction

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

95.7% of all Covid19 deaths in SC are age 50 or above.

May 3, 2020, 9:05 AM

87.5% are 60 or above. Only 1.2% are below age 40.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 95.7% of all Covid19 deaths in SC are age 50 or above.

May 3, 2020, 1:58 PM

there will be plenty of medicine by september. i am 65. if they play i will be there. if you are skeert, get a dog. we have faced many bugs and there will be many more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: US COVID deaths by age

May 3, 2020, 10:33 AM

So while we are waiting on our church service to begin, another fact from CDC. As of of data listed today when there about 200,000 fewer US cases than today, 37% of all cases were in people less than 44. No, maybe that age group is less likely to die (thank the good Lord), but they still get sick. Numbers can show anything you want them to.

May 3, 2020, 11:18 AM

But by most reports, a large fraction (close to 50%) of people who test positive never had any symptoms. Of those who had symptoms, most had very minor symptoms. Only a very small fraction of the people who got infected every got seriously ill and only a fraction of them required extreme effort like ventilators.

Remember, for a long time we were in the phase where we were mostly testing only the very small subset of people who WERE seriously ill. Some surveys coming out now are indicating that we've underestimated the number of infections by 40-80 times, which, of true, means a *lot* more people have been exposed and never had symptoms or had very mild symptoms.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2020, 11:28 AM

And many of those without symptoms likely spread it to others...some of whom got sick...and some of whom died. For those that are young and only worry about themselves, this is not a big deal. But if any part of you is also concerned for your fellow man, you dont find any comfort in your own lack of mortality.

Right, young people need to be aware, and have a

May 3, 2020, 1:12 PM

responsibility not to spread it to older people or people at risk. That doesn't mean that they should stay holed up themselves, however. It just means they can't spread it to old or sick people. That, ultimately, has to be the goal.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

May 3, 2020, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: US COVID deaths by age ]

You mean people get other people sick, like the flu? Who would have ever thunk it? Now with all your data tell me of the deaths how many had other comorbidity? Also tell me why someone who had a died of a heart attack and tested positive for the virus had covid-19 as their reason for death instead of the heart attack. You see who can make numbers mean anything but when you can't get true numbers they mean nothing.

May 3, 2020, 1:35 PM

Man that response has typographical errors everywhere. Hopefully one can cipher enough to make sense of what I'm saying.

May 3, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: US COVID deaths by age ]

Look...I’m not into the number crunching, statistics, and conspiracies...I’ll leave that to those who just like to argue. What I do know is the couple of people I know who have had it...and thankfully recovered...say it is the sickest they have ever been. At some point, they thought they were going to die. I’ve had the flu several times...bad once...but I never ever felt like I was going to die. So...even though my odds are great that I would recover...I still don’t want to go through that or subject my family to it either.

So...to all those out there who feel like they’re being some sort of hero by not wearing a mask, keeping your distance, or just not having common courtesy...just suck it up and get with the program. It’s really not a lot to ask.

May 3, 2020, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: US COVID deaths by age ]

that's correct, but if you are one of those folks who winds up not dying, but getting unbelievably sick for roughly 3 weeks, perhaps having to go to the hospital so that someone can keep you on your belly so that you don't go into hypoxia and die in your sleep, you are still no longer going to feel nonchalant about things.

May 3, 2020, 7:12 PM

VH, I hear you; nothing changes our perspective like either experience or someone else's experience.

But personal experience doesn't change immunologists' projections: this virus will be with us for at least two years; the stronger our immune systems are, the better chance we have (so long as that is not offset by comorbid conditions); the longer we stay locked down, the weaker our immune systems become; and (hopefully), each successive strain of virus is slightly less virulent than the last. These are observations according to theoretical immunology (as related by smarter people than me).

Therefore, if we are actually concerned about our fellow man and not ourselves (first time an American who wants to provide for his family and the financial assistance of others has been demonized for WORKING), the theory is that young folks in excellent health should perform life normally and absorb coronavirus' best shots and allow the virus to mutate; those who are critical need to stay sheltered for the next 2 years; all of us who are in between (I'm 55+ with a robust immune system except for a tendency to blood clots which makes me quite at risk) should shelter but emerge carefully after the youth sap the demon of its fire.

The longer most if us wait to engage the enemy, the weaker we will be when doing it. And the weaker our splintering medical community will be in spite of its past success. And the worse quality of life we will be able to enjoy after surviving, because our economy and retirements will be in the rubbish bin.

Those are known cases; there are likely many times more as

May 3, 2020, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: US COVID deaths by age ]

many, if not most, never even know they are infected. So yes, many under 40 are infected, but a tiny percentage of those die. It is very dangerous to older people, but not very dangerous to young people, relatively speaking. As I pointed out in my post above, almost all people who die from it are over 50.

- H. L. Mencken

May 3, 2020, 11:11 AM

Last I checked, significantly more than half of all deaths were in the several "over 65" age groups (65-75, 75-85, 85+). Only about 5% of deaths were in the combined "under 50" age groups.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2020, 2:03 PM

In the numbers that I looked it this morning, deaths over age 65 are a little less than 80% of the total US number.

May 3, 2020, 11:30 AM

So deaths increase with age. Dah. Unless the point is once people reach 65 ( still have 20 yrs) they should be locked up, then a death that can be avoided with a little effort by those that are younger is morally required.

You May or May Not Survive To Regret This Viewpoint

May 3, 2020, 12:31 PM

One day, if you live that long, you'll be over 60. I'm guessing you're committing to being locked away when that time comes.

Cradle robber.

May 3, 2020, 5:41 PM

J/k brother.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2020, 7:11 PM

I am 69 and have dodged the bullet so far. The economy was having a false positive when Dis-ease happened. It takes a mile to stop a train and a lot longer to get it up to speed from a start. I fear how long it will take to get the economy up, if it is possible. With $11,000,000,000,000 in Monopoly money and counting, when things do start to pop we will either have stagflation or Weimar style hyperinflation...Looks like we will have that old Chinese curse,"May you live in interesting times"...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2020, 7:49 PM

The numbers are inflated..the doctors and hospitals have been told to count all deaths Covid if they tested positive for it even though that was not the cause of death.

A 98 yr old Italian woman recovered. You got this!!***

May 3, 2020, 8:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 3,727
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic