Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UNC has a great one in Sam Howell...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

UNC has a great one in Sam Howell...

Dec 27, 2019, 2:26 PM

...and they have him for another two years, minimum.

Add in the fact that Mack Brown can recruit better than anybody this side of Dabo and UNC could well make a rather dramatic step forward the next couple years.

I wasn't overly sold on Mack Brown coming back - usually when older coaches come back after an extended absence, they coach a couple of so-so years before hanging it back up again. They just don't have that fire in the belly anymore.

That said, there's a gaping hole where the ACC Coastal should be, though, and the way Mack can sweet-talk recruits, you get the idea he could do some real damage and get a genuine head of steam going. UNC has always been a monster-in-waiting for the right coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

im just happy and shocked that an ACC team is handling a G5 easily in a bowl game

Dec 27, 2019, 2:32 PM

Agree with you on the UNC potential with the way things are setting up for them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UNC has a great one in Sam Howell...

Dec 27, 2019, 2:34 PM

Too bad he still won’t be able to beat us.

Dec 27, 2019, 2:53 PM

Mack Brown was a great stopgap for UNC. The real question is can the next coach build on top of the foundation Brown builds.

Dec 27, 2019, 2:58 PM

Yeah they better hope he has better objectivity when he selects his next coach in waiting than his last one...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2019, 2:33 AM

Mack didn't choose his successor at UT. What he did was block them from hiring Nick Saban by hanging on one more year. He was paranoid Nick would come in and make him look bad.

Believe me, he was happy to see UT have a hard time attracting candidates (because of the shape he left the program in) and he certainly didn't mind the flaming failure of Charlie Strong.

The way Mack portrays himself at UNC (as a Dabo clone) isn't at all how he was at UT.

If they beat everyone else it will help our SoS***

Dec 27, 2019, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: UNC has a great one in Sam Howell... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2019, 3:17 PM

Howell could be UNC’s Tahj or CJ, the bell cow that starts their momentum towards Coastal div dominance (but never of the ACC-at least not in Dabos tenure)

Dec 27, 2019, 3:18 PM

Mack will be lucky to win an ACCCG. His recruiting
isn't going to be that good at Blue Belly U. The QB
is mediocre at best and isn't as good as our 2nd
string QB. I hope they win this game but I still
can't stand them. Go to the NC site and brag on
this bunch of rag tags.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on, Sam Howell is a better QB than Chase Brice.

Dec 27, 2019, 3:20 PM

No disrespect to Chase at all - he’s very talented - but Howell is more talented.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Come on, Sam Howell is a better QB than Chase Brice.

Dec 27, 2019, 4:10 PM

That is your opinion but I disagree.I hate the tarholes but was
glad they won one for the ACC. I will never ever wish them any
more success than that and I will never say that they have a great
QB. If Chase played for NC he would be just as good. I can't see
the point in you or any other Tiger fan bragging on a Tarhole.

Dec 27, 2019, 4:29 PM

How did you arrive at that opinion? Sounds to me like you're letting your dislike of UNC cloud your judgment. I love Chase but it's not really comparable. Out of high school, Sam Howell was higher rated than Chase (#4 pro QB vs. #10 pro QB). I think you'd probably agree our second string wide receivers (Ngata, Ladson, Overton, and Powell) are better than UNC's first string receivers. But this year, Chase Brice has completed 58% of his passes for 581 yards (6.8 yards per attempt), 4 touchdowns, and 1 interception. His QB rating was 129.4.

Howell has played with worse wide receivers and against first string defenses and has completed 61.5% of his passes for 3,641 yards (8.6 yards per attempt), 38 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions. His QB rating was 158.9. He rewrote all the ACC freshman record books. If we divide his stats to represent his stats if he only had the attempts Brice had, he'd have: 61.5% completions for 798 yards, 8 touchdowns, and 1 pick. He's better than Brice in every stat despite having worse players on his side and playing against better players. He also took a 2 win team to 8 wins and a crushing bowl victory. He's objectively better.

Dec 27, 2019, 4:46 PM

You are correct about my dislike of NC and it goes back
many, many years but I do like Mack Brown.I disagree
about the QB. I believe that Chase is as good as the
blue belly QB. NC, NC State, Duke and Miami are the
teams I hate the most in the ACC.

Dec 27, 2019, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Come on, Sam Howell is a better QB than Chase Brice. ]

JK isn’t a Clemson fan. He’s a Brad Brownell shill. He talks trash on our football coaches, our players, and our fan traditions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2019, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Come on, Sam Howell is a better QB than Chase Brice. ]

nice. Clemson superfan cries on behalf of a coach making $2.75 million a year then takes the time to throw our players under the bus. Particularly one who could start at any of a number of schools yet has made the sacrifice to be a essential backup for this program. We do not have a national championship last year without Chase Brice. You also hate our fan traditions. Why exactly are you here - much less posting 12000 times for a school you obviously have no respect for.

Re: Get out of here, stalker.

Dec 27, 2019, 8:55 PM

This is a football discussion.

I believe the topic at hand is Sam Howell, not JK.

Re: Get out of here, stalker.

Dec 28, 2019, 12:58 AM

Do you think JK needs your help or did you log into the wrong account.

One difference I noticed between Clemson & UNC,

Dec 27, 2019, 4:17 PM

Heels are up 48-13 and Brown leaves qb Howell in until 3:00 left in game. Dabo would have pulled him early in 3qtr to 1) guard against injury and 2) give the backup qb valuable game experience. Pays dividends at the end of the season.

Re: One difference I noticed between Clemson & UNC,

Dec 27, 2019, 4:21 PM

Well technically that was the end of their season and realistically not sure how much depth behind that QB he has. Knowing Mack he wanted to score as much as possible to use as recruiting fuel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One difference I noticed between Clemson & UNC,

Dec 27, 2019, 4:31 PM [ in reply to One difference I noticed between Clemson & UNC, ]

Truism...I bet if Mack called and asked Dabo what ONE thing he could do to improve his team over the long haul, Dabo would watch the 2nd half of 2 games and give him a Golden Nugget... I wonder if and or when some Moneyball-type author will tap Dabo's mind

padding individual stats?

Dec 30, 2019, 7:49 PM [ in reply to One difference I noticed between Clemson & UNC, ]

two receivers (Brown & Newsome) got over 1,000 yards and a RB (Carter) also got over 1,000 for the season

the RB total was an intentional effort... not sure about the WRs

Dec 27, 2019, 4:29 PM

I can see them winning the coastal the next 2-3 years and i hope they can start winning 8-9 games each season. The ACC desperately needs a couple of teams other than Clemson to start winning more often. Hopefully our league can get to back to what it was 2-3 years ago which was having a couple of teams in the top 25 each week.

mack will be able to recruit as well

Dec 27, 2019, 8:50 PM

people can rag on him all they want but the guy has a good personality and seems like a genuine good dude ...and he will be recruiting nc against the likes of doeren who is a prick

Re: mack will be able to recruit as well

Dec 27, 2019, 9:15 PM

How long will it be before the tobacco road schools start negative recruiting about brown's age and how long he will coach the holes?

probably already begun***

Dec 27, 2019, 9:20 PM

Dec 27, 2019, 9:01 PM

When we played them, Howell was very well prepared, maintained his composure under significant pressure, and frequently found his check downs (TE for a TD, RB for several first downs).

Good arm, accurate, cool head, in only his third or fourth college start-- yeah, he's a good one.

This has been a pretty “so-so” year for Mack and the Heels.

Dec 28, 2019, 12:07 AM

I agree though, that Howell appears to be the real deal.

He was at the top of our QB recruiting board last year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2019, 3:31 AM

I bet UNC will be a top 20 team the year after next.

Great post and objectivity.

Dec 28, 2019, 8:15 AM

I agree. Howell is an amazing qb and an even better kid.

Dec 30, 2019, 4:43 AM

Agree with the monster in waiting there. One secondary benefit from giving up on Justin Flowe and signing Trent Simpson is that competition like North Carolina would not have a chance to sign Simpson. Simpson will be a great linebacker for us and we don’t have to play against him.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic