Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UGA's 1980 natty team played *8* teams with a losing record.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

UGA's 1980 natty team played *8* teams with a losing record.

Jan 16, 2021, 12:16 AM

....avoided Bama and LSU altogether, and barely beat a 6-5 Clemson team. My goodness, UGA's lucky to have even that one natty:

1.) Tenn: 5-6-0
2.) Texas A/M: 4-7-0
3.) TCU: 1-10-0
4.) Ole Miss: 3-8-0
5.) Vanderbilt: 2-9-0
6.) Kentucky: 3-8-0
7.) Auburn: 5-6-0
8.) GT: 1-10-0

wow....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGA's 1980 natty team played *8* teams with a losing record.

Jan 16, 2021, 5:28 AM

Yea, but 5 of those games were against SEC opponents so they are considered winners.

We drug them up and down the field

Jan 16, 2021, 7:14 AM

A couple or returns beat us.

Re: We drug them up and down the field

Jan 17, 2021, 1:07 PM

Scott #### woerner !!! Smh

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 8:23 AM

That’s why I’ve always said that natty should have an asterisk

Jan 16, 2021, 2:49 PM

It does seem to stand out as an anomaly. 40 years don’t lie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 16, 2021, 8:31 AM

That was my freshman year.
Clemson beat the crap out of them, but still lost.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

And Jawja’s 1942 “championship” came during WW2.

Jan 16, 2021, 8:49 AM

Army won the championships from 1944-1946.

Hmmm... wonder why Army didn’t win it in 1942?

??

That 1942 “championship” must also be split. I saw the NCAA site had Ohio State winning it.

~JKB

Jan 16, 2021, 9:18 AM

The Sugar Bowl had no business inviting #7 Notre Dame as UGA's opponent. They should've been brave enough to invite either #2 FSU or #3 Pitt. UGA probably would've beaten FSU but definitely would've lost to Pitt.

On that note, UGA most likely would've lost to #4 Oklahoma as well but was committed to the Orange Bowl.

Bowl system was so stupid back then.

With that in mind, I still wonder why in 1981 the Gator Bowl or Fiesta Bowl (who had no conference tie-ins) didn't invite Clemson and Pitt to play each other. Pitt was #10 going into bowl season but probably should've been ranked higher as they were #1 throughout most of season until huge upset to Penn State during last weekend of regular season. Or even Cotton inviting Clemson to play a 1-loss Texas (who finished #2 after the bowls).

Jan 16, 2021, 9:49 AM

Fiesta Bowl was a non factor and could never dream of hosting highly ranked teams. It was the 4 major bowls and they picked their non affiliated teams pretty early (Rose Bowl of course was locked in for both teams) to keep from being left out. Then the conference tie-ins once they were settled. That’s how you could end up with 2 loss teams if they dropped one after having accepted a bid. I think the Fiesta threw a bunch of money at teams in the mid 80s and ended up with the Miami Penn State game, not to mention those teams were not affiliated with conferences. Believe it or not Ole Joe Pa wasn’t respected too much and had a few undefeated seasons where he was denied a title so he figured beating Miami straight up was a good way to ensure a title.

Jan 17, 2021, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's 1980 natty team played *8* teams with a losing record. ]

The Sugar Bowl had no business inviting #7 Notre Dame as UGA's opponent. They should've been brave enough to invite either #2 FSU or #3 Pitt. UGA probably would've beaten FSU but definitely would've lost to Pitt.

On that note, UGA most likely would've lost to #4 Oklahoma as well but was committed to the Orange Bowl.

Bowl system was so stupid back then.

With that in mind, I still wonder why in 1981 the Gator Bowl or Fiesta Bowl (who had no conference tie-ins) didn't invite Clemson and Pitt to play each other. Pitt was #10 going into bowl season but probably should've been ranked higher as they were #1 throughout most of season until huge upset to Penn State during last weekend of regular season. Or even Cotton inviting Clemson to play a 1-loss Texas (who finished #2 after the bowls).

Pitt? Are you kidding me? How many teams with losing/non-winning records did Pitt play that year? Pretty much same with Oklahoma. I do remember Okl got blown out at home by a not-so-good Stanford team that year. At least make a consistent argument - LOL!

Jan 16, 2021, 6:10 PM

Great information. Thanks for sharing so I can rag my UGA friends.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 6:21 PM

Why is this on a Clemson bulletin board 40 years after it happened? The perfect 72 Dolphins had one of the weakest schedules ever. Do we need a thread for that?

...soon TNET will be infested with mangy DAWG types...

Jan 16, 2021, 9:38 PM

...gotta give them a little sumfin to chew on....:).

Jan 17, 2021, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's 1980 natty team played *8* teams with a losing record. ]

Because our next game is against Georgia.

I can still remember that First Friday Parade

Jan 17, 2021, 1:33 PM

And the "Red Shirts Silver Britches Go To #### You Sons of B1tches" chants. It might have been a little too rowdy an atmosphere for mothers and young children, but what a great experience for this young student at the time! And the cold Bud didn't hurt either.

No doubt the game was very even, and S Scott Woerner beat us with his punt return and INT return.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic