Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UGA recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

UGA recruiting

May 10, 2019, 10:41 AM

Is so dominant they have won exactly 0 modern championships from it. Is it even fair?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

****Yes, it's fair.*********

May 10, 2019, 10:51 AM

It's pretty crazy isn't it? Just looking at it objectively,

May 10, 2019, 10:55 AM

UGA should be one of the very top CFB jobs in the country.

-The state of Georgia has always produced a lot of football talent, but the growth there has pushed it right up into that very top tier of talent-producing states. Without looking this up, I'm inclined to put it third behind Florida and Texas, and ahead of California as the latter has seen a pretty sharp decline in recent years - likely as the overall culture in CA trends away from football and towards other things.

-In addition to that, there's really very, very little in-state competition for all of that talent. If you compare the number of big program in FL, TX, and CA to Georgia there's really no contest. Virtually all of the competition for GA players comes from neighboring programs such as Clemson, Auburn, Bama, Tenn, etc.

-UGA has a big, passionate fan base that doesn't quite cross over into insane territory like Bama or Auburn. That's a pretty good sweet spot.

-You get all of the advantages of the SEC without actually playing in a super-tough division (at least in the last 15 or so years) like the West.

-Athens is a great college town.

And despite all of that, Georgia football has largely been irrelevant on the national scene since Herschel Walker drove off campus in his free Cadillac nearly 40 years ago.

Re: It's pretty crazy isn't it? Just looking at it objectively,

May 10, 2019, 3:48 PM

Not to make things Racial but Ive visited UGA a few times on recruiting trips. The environment just isn't that welcoming to Black people. If you're Black at UGA you play sports. Its little culture outside of that for Black people which tends to effect Black athletes desire to go. Clemson,Tuscaloosa, LSU ect. All do much better jobs with handling Diversity on their Campuses.

Re: It's pretty crazy isn't it? Just looking at it objectively,

May 10, 2019, 5:49 PM [ in reply to It's pretty crazy isn't it? Just looking at it objectively, ]

Unfortunately I can't disagree with any of this.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGA recruiting

May 10, 2019, 11:09 AM

Spurrier's comment about Georgia recruiting when he was at Florida.
"Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?"

May 10, 2019, 11:12 AM

Spurrier was a fun nemesis. I hate that his teams 5-peated us, but that is one of the most fun opposing coaches I’ve seen regardless of sport or school.

May 10, 2019, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: UGA recruiting ]

They keep “Georgiaing” or “Bulldogging”

May 10, 2019, 1:32 PM

Leghumping....LOL

May 10, 2019, 11:12 AM

They will be in the History books.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2019, 11:18 AM

They are exactly like the gamecocks. Better on paper than on the field. They actually play on a Field of Dreams, just like the dirtpeckers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The way their schedule sets up this year, they could

May 10, 2019, 2:05 PM

conceivably run the table then lose in the SEC CG. In which case the tired old conversation about 2 SEC teams in the playoffs cranks up, again.

It's interesting they lost to Texas in the bowl because they mirror Texas, to me. With the talent Texas has to choose from and the money and facilities, they should be in the top 4 every single year, if not playing for the NC. UGA and Texas both are massive underachievers given their resources. Must be coaching (Say 'Hey' Mark Richt, Kirby Smart, & Mac Brown).

Great Take

May 10, 2019, 8:39 PM

Awesome observation! I have wondered the same thing about Texas, Georgia but I also throw Southern California in there. Could be as stated - the kids in that state have other interest. But, look at the resources! Kids in Cali aren't considered good unless S - C offers. I say Cali, but really it's the 1st choice for many West Coast teams top to bottom. If you can't go there - then you go to the best fit or the one you like the most who also wants you.
Texas - same thing! Yeah A&M is doing big things; but when was the last time they won a National Title? Bear Bryant? Kids in Texas want to represent- Texas! But, they head to Oklahoma or some smaller schools often.
Georgia - you said it all there. I think they are going to have to look out for Georgia Tech! GT though a tougher than average academic school; is located right in the center of "The A". These kids now like to play a bunch(extracurricular). Be a great selling point - Athens may not appeal to all kids. The Athens police seems to really like arresting Georgia FB players, LOL!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2019, 7:21 PM

I'm glad Georgia high schools have all that talent. The Tigers seem to have a habit of getting the Number 1 player in the state --- Watson, Lawrence, Murphy and...……..

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic