Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: ESPN releases statement on moving Robert Lee from UVA game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 103
| visibility 1

FB Update: ESPN releases statement on moving Robert Lee from UVA game

Aug 23, 2017, 6:58 AM

ESPN releases statement on moving Robert Lee from UVA game

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this country is screwed

Aug 23, 2017, 7:05 AM

I mean he's Asian

Re: this country is screwed

Aug 23, 2017, 7:20 AM

It's a non issue , and there's really no problem here . What I take from it is that there are currently people in the entertainment business that have a great deal of things that they understand and do well , and then a great deal that they do not understand and do not do so well .

This was not done well .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: this country is screwed

Aug 23, 2017, 3:13 PM [ in reply to this country is screwed ]

100% Agreed

OMG? PC is out of control.***

Aug 23, 2017, 7:05 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this a joke?

Aug 23, 2017, 7:13 AM

Either its part of a Saturday Night Live skit, or ESPN has lost touch with reality.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this a joke?

Aug 23, 2017, 7:44 AM

Even after reading the responses I found myself thinking this has to be a joke. Even 3 years ago this is a great SNL skit. Today...reality.

null

Aug 23, 2017, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Is this a joke? ]

From here on out, the thought of building of a statue will be a total gross waste of money in the future. What ever the statue maybe, it will surely offend somebody that will head up a group to find a reason to tear it down tomorrow. People in today's world is so out of touch with what's real today or about what history was of yesterday. People today are digging up the dead from long ago, and through their hatred they will want punish them today. If statues were outlawed today, the people that want to hate what was yesterday will just find someone or something else from our past or our present to hate!!! With what's going on in today's world is a sure sign that we're coming closer and closer to ending the world that we live in. Just read the Bible, what's happening today was clearly mapped out in the Bible over 2000 years ago bc it was learned even back then that the humans aren't happy unless we're destroying everything in our path. It was also known that our intelligence would evolve so that we could destroy man kind many times over. It would seem that we would be smart enough to rid our world of anything that could destroy us all, or at least be smart enough to let the past stay in the past so that we could be happy and allow our love for each other to be much stronger than our hate. Hate equals the destruction of everything living, and if we refuse to learn from our mistakes of our past, the end will be closer than we believe it to be. Breading Hate in our hearts is the deadliest poison on earth!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2017, 1:49 PM

Call it treason punishable by death to tear down statues then see how many come down. That will fix these cowardly people.

Aug 23, 2017, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Is this a joke? ]

It appears that the PC crowd may have jumped the shark

Re: FB Update: ESPN releases statement on moving Robert Lee from UVA game

Aug 23, 2017, 7:15 AM

96% of ESPN voted non Republican. What would you expect?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2017, 2:02 PM

What does voting republican or democrat have anything to do with this...im a democrat and i have a huge problem woth the statues being taken down and this PC nonsense.

Aug 23, 2017, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN releases statement on moving Robert Lee from UVA game ]

> 96% of ESPN voted non Republican. What would you
> expect?

Would love to see how you came up with this number along with any evidence supporting it.

I'm living in the world's largest HOA***

Aug 23, 2017, 7:20 AM

Re: FB Update: Never heard of him until this article

Aug 23, 2017, 7:33 AM

I would hate to live in that city and have the name Robert Lee. Do you suppose I would have to move?
This is ridiculous!!!

Re: Never heard of him until this article-Nor had I

Aug 23, 2017, 7:46 AM

must be a new hire. I feel bad for him getting drawn into this when he shouldnt be

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't you want to?***

Aug 23, 2017, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Never heard of him until this article ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Never heard of him until this article

Aug 23, 2017, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Never heard of him until this article ]

I would love to have that name and live in that city, and no, I wouldn't move. I would be ready when they showed up, and it would go down something like mad Max staring in home alone.

NEW YORK Herald, 1870

Aug 23, 2017, 7:36 AM

“On a quiet autumn morning, in the land which he loved so well and served so faithfully, the spirit of Robert Edward Lee left the clay which it had so much ennobled and traveled out of this world into the great and mysterious land. Here in the North, forgetting that the time was when the sword of Robert Edward Lee was drawn against us—forgetting and forgiving all the years of bloodshed and agony—we have long since ceased to look upon him as the Confederate leader, but have claimed him as one of ourselves; have cherished and felt proud of his military genius; have recounted and recorded his triumphs as our own; have extolled his virtue as reflecting upon us—for Robert Edward Lee was an American, and the great nation which gave him birth would be today unworthy of such a son if she regarded him lightly.”

“Never had mother a nobler son. In him the military genius of America was developed to a greater extent than ever before. In him all that was pure and lofty in mind and purpose found lodgment. Dignified without presumption, affable without familiarity, he united all those charms of manners which made him the idol of his friends and of his soldiers and won for him the respect and admiration of the world. Even as in the days of triumph, glory did not intoxicate, so, when the dark clouds swept over him, adversity did not depress."

Is this a freaking joke?

Aug 23, 2017, 7:40 AM

Seriously.

FDR, 1936

Aug 23, 2017, 7:58 AM

"I am very happy to take part in this unveiling of the statue of General Robert E. Lee.

All over the United States we recognize him as a great leader of men, as a great general. But, also, all over the United States I believe that we recognize him as something much more important than that. We recognize Robert E. Lee as one of our greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen."

Franklin D. Roosevelt
72 - Remarks at the Unveiling of the Robert E. Lee Memorial Statue, Dallas, Texas.
June 12, 1936
Public Papers and Addresses of Franklin D. Roosevelt
1936, Texas

The P&R bored is that way ------------------------------>***

Aug 23, 2017, 7:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The P&R bored is that way ------------------------------>***

Aug 23, 2017, 1:14 PM

I agree

Teddy Roosevelt, 1905

Aug 23, 2017, 8:06 AM

Speaking at the welcome banquet, Richmond, Virginia, 1905 [pp. 488-489]:

"Coming today by the statue of Stonewall Jackson, in the city of Lee, I felt what a privilege it is that I, as an American, have in claiming that you yourselves have no more right of kinship in Lee and Jackson than I have.

"There was an uncle of mine, now dead, my mother's brother, who has always been, among all the men I have ever met, the man who it seemed to me came nearest to typifying in the flesh that most beautiful of all characters in fiction, Thackeray's Col. Newcome - my uncle, James Dunwoody Bulloch, an admiral in the Confederate Navy....."

Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1960

Aug 23, 2017, 8:08 AM

August 9, 1960

Dear Dr. Scott:

Respecting your August 1 inquiry calling attention to my often expressed admiration for General Robert E. Lee, I would say, first, that we need to understand that at the time of the War between the States the issue of secession had remained unresolved for more than 70 years. Men of probity, character, public standing and unquestioned loyalty, both North and South, had disagreed over this issue as a matter of principle from the day our Constitution was adopted.

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was a poised and inspiring leader, true to the high trust reposed in him by millions of his fellow citizens; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his faith in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

From deep conviction, I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee’s calibre would be unconquerable in spirit and soul. Indeed, to the degree that present-day American youth will strive to emulate his rare qualities, including his devotion to this land as revealed in his painstaking efforts to help heal the Nation’s wounds once the bitter struggle was over, we, in our own time of danger in a divided world, will be strengthened and our love of freedom sustained.

Such are the reasons that I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall.

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Not a fan of confederate statues, but...

Aug 23, 2017, 8:19 AM

This move was just downright silly. Nobody is going to draw a correlation between an Asian announcer named Robert Lee and the confederate guy.

Re: Not a fan of confederate statues, but...

Aug 23, 2017, 8:43 AM

People have become so out of touch of what's real today, and learning from our past, that they have become soooooo pathetic!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That slippery slope that people keep saying doesn't exist...

Aug 23, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Not a fan of confederate statues, but... ]

Here is proof of it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not a fan of confederate statues, but...

Aug 23, 2017, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Not a fan of confederate statues, but... ]

General William Sherman has Union statues all over NY. He burned down churches, homes, businesses and civilians died in his wake from Atlanta to Columbia. You cool with his statue?

Let me explain...

Aug 23, 2017, 11:03 AM

I view confederate statues and symbols the same way that a Jewish person views Nazi statues and symbols. Germany had enough sense to remove and ban all Nazi symbols. Whether certain people like it or not, a similar process has started here in America.

Re: Let me explain...

Aug 23, 2017, 11:28 AM

Don't want to argue just pointing out that Union statues represent folks who did bad things also. It's all ridiculous honestly. This article is way out of proportion isn't it? I mean this poor guy is just named Robert Lee. Geez.

I don't get it. Thought it was a joke at first...***

Aug 23, 2017, 12:02 PM

Re: For Social Justice, I'll Tune to the "Lame" Stream Media

Aug 23, 2017, 8:35 AM

Come on folks, ESPN loves their social commentary and left wing points of view. They push their agenda in a myriad of ways! They are MSNBC and CNN "wannabes" fronting as a sports network. I wish we had other network options! I watch them for their sports in spite of their commentary on social issues!

Re: For Social Justice, I'll Tune to the "Lame" Stream Media

Aug 24, 2017, 1:25 PM

I agree with you. But I will say that ESECPN does have some really good stuff too. I think their 30:30 series is sometimes interesting. I especially enjoyed their production of the Celtics-Lakers rivalry in the '80s. Also, their piece on the SMU scandal of the '80s was quite good. And I think their take on the Arkansas national championship team of '64 (with Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Frank Broyles, etc) was excellent. Last night, they played the P.J. Fleck story. Pretty amazing guy. So, while I don't like their politicking and their coverage of fluffy sports events, I do appreciate some of the real meat and potatoes things they do.

Aug 23, 2017, 8:49 AM

So they're going to leaving a gray cloud over this guy's career just so nobody gets offended? This guy will forever be remembered as the asian guy with the same name as a dead confederate general from now on. I would have never even thought twice about the name similarity if he was calling a game, to be honest.

I know someone last name Sherman, should I hate him for

Aug 23, 2017, 8:49 AM

burning down Columbia? This is by far the most moronic thing I have ever seen. I can't even wrap my head around it.

nobody at ESPN was hating Lee

Aug 23, 2017, 12:35 PM

they simply asked him if he wanted to move based on the potential to have a lot of nonsense thrown his way

Aug 23, 2017, 8:56 AM

This about a lame brained idea.Boo ooo to espn and their numb nut status

Yes, the resemblance is pretty stunning.***

Aug 23, 2017, 9:02 AM

Wow!!

Aug 23, 2017, 9:06 AM

Ok, from a socially liberal voter, we have gone too far.

I had no idea that the Confederate General Robert E. Lee was

Aug 23, 2017, 9:07 AM

Asian. Just when I thought I knew US history. ;)

Aug 23, 2017, 9:13 AM

That's asinine!

Its time to round up liberals and deport them to California

Aug 23, 2017, 9:18 AM

Enough of this crap!

Try to move this liberal and 5.56 Nato rounds will fly.***

Aug 23, 2017, 9:42 AM

Re: Try to move this liberal and 5.56 Nato rounds will fly.***

Aug 23, 2017, 12:36 PM

So I take it you are fine with the 2nd amendment as a liberal. Better not let your comrades know.

Aug 23, 2017, 1:23 PM

I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I have somewhere around 20 guns but I don't think people need to own clips holding 30+ rounds....there is a middle ground to all of this nonsense.

I think as a nation, we really need to stop categorizing people as either all the way on the left or all the way on the right. I have voted for both republicans and democrats since I was of voting age. I long for the days where people could be civil to one another. If Trump makes it to the next election, which I doubt he will....he won't have my vote. We need to come together and have educated discussions. We need someone that will act calm and collected....not someone that pitches a fit every 20 minutes when he doesn't get his way. In no way did I ever think he wanted to lead this nation. He's only in it for his ego.

Aug 24, 2017, 3:30 PM

We need to do away with the parties. Not sure why we even have those anymore. Our government has just become a Clemson vs Carolina football game. It is all about who can win and look good verses doing what is right. It's just a big nonstop competition. Although, I will say maybe CU/USC is not a good example. To lopsided and not very competitive.

Were we to talk politics, I'm sure you'd think me liberal

Aug 23, 2017, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Its time to round up liberals and deport them to California ]

But this right here is outright absurdity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

time to deport republicans to Russia***

Aug 23, 2017, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Its time to round up liberals and deport them to California ]

Re: time to deport republicans to Russia***

Aug 23, 2017, 12:31 PM

Yes because the Dems sure know what they are doing.

I'm being punked right?

Aug 23, 2017, 9:23 AM

Where's the camera? This can't be real.

I am heartened by the reactions to this MSESecPN BS.

Aug 23, 2017, 9:29 AM

Seems the majority actually do get it when things go too far and get too ridiculous. Just hope we can save the statues on Monument Avenue and that cooler heads will prevail long term.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a comical time we live in.

Aug 23, 2017, 9:29 AM

Joker for a president, buffoonish news media, and the clowns who runs everything else.

Choose to laugh.

Re: What a comical time we live in.

Aug 26, 2017, 7:43 PM

The joker president left in Jan.

Aug 23, 2017, 9:32 AM

I think it would be appropriate for people to start a write in campaign to remove anyone named Robert or Lee from ESPN. Maybe anyone with the initial E should go also.

That would probably get rid of these personalities.

Eric Allen: 2002–present (NFL Live)
Erin Andrews: 2004–present (College Football, Basketball and MLB coverage)
Lee Corso: 1987–present (College Gameday)
Len Elmore: 1991–present (College GameNight and College Basketball coverage)
#### Enberg: 2004–present (Tennis coverage)
Neil Everett: 2000–present (SportsCenter)
Robert Flores: 2005-present (SportsCenter, ESPN News)
Bob Holtzman: ?–present (SportsCenter Reporter)
Eric Karros: 2005–present (Thursday Night Baseball)
Bob Ley: 1979–present (Outside the Lines and SportsCenter)
Bob Ryan: 1993–present (The Sports Reporters and Around the Horn)
Rob Stone: 1997–present (Major League Soccer)
Bob Valvano: 1998–present (College Basketball coverage)
Ed Werder: 1998–present (SportsCenter Reporter)
Eric Wynalda: 2003–present (MLS and World Cup)

Why stop with Robert E Lee. There are many Southern generals and politicians. Lets just keep going and anyone with a name resembling anyone that has ever lived in the South should not be allowed to perform for any reason on TV, movies, radio or any other media.

Don't care. Won Natty.***

Aug 23, 2017, 9:36 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Aug 23, 2017, 9:54 AM

Just when you thought stupid had peaked. I guess we are into the world of name discrimination now.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mass mental illness.

Aug 23, 2017, 9:54 AM

This desperate attempt to claim offense and/or victimhood is absolutely awful for any real progress.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mass mental illness.

Aug 23, 2017, 5:07 PM

Progress can never be gained as long as we continue to dig up the past bc it's impossible to change history. History is the tools we're suppose to learn from and make a better future for all. It is never meant to use as a poor me cause, or to use for destroying the evidence of our biggest mistakes of the past. There is no one in our world alive today that lived during slavery, and we can't fix what doesn't exist in our world today. Our fore fathers realized their mistakes, and that is the reason that slavery was abolished and became illegal in the 1860's, and it hasn't existed in the lives of any human that lives in our country today.

hahaha, like anybody is going to confuse an Asian with a dead confederate general..

Aug 23, 2017, 10:05 AM

ESPN kept Curt Schilling hate spewing mouth on air for five years, but they remove this guy from a game because of a name similarity. And a common name at that.

Re: hahaha, like anybody is going to confuse an Asian with a dead confederate general..

Aug 23, 2017, 12:39 PM

He didn't agree with the bathroom law in North Carolina hardly spewing hate. You don't want political talk on TigerNet yet you have no problem sharing your leftist ########.

there was a whole lot more said by him than that...

Aug 23, 2017, 2:14 PM

and I didn't start this thread the mods did. As long as the alt righters post their intolerance on here I will reply with my leftist attitudes. I don't start threads on the main board about politics. And the only time I respond back to a political post is when it is intolerance. Sorry but if you don't like a group of people who make up about 80-85% of our team, then why do you claim to pull for them. If you can't respect them as people, then don't watch them for entertainment value

not surprising the mods are now pushing political stories on here...

Aug 23, 2017, 10:07 AM

If the issue doesn't involve Clemson it doesn't need to be reported on this site

Solid American with a solid name, no need to apologize

Aug 23, 2017, 10:11 AM

for a great name. Ravens have a guy calling their games named Jerry Sandusky. Just saying.

Moderator: Please take this story down

Aug 23, 2017, 10:14 AM

Nothing to do with Clemson or Tiger football. I come to this site to GET AWAY from ridiculousness like this.

Liberal logic at its finest

Aug 23, 2017, 10:15 AM

Why am I not even close to being surprised by this.

Aug 23, 2017, 10:57 AM

In an address before the Southern Historical Society in Atlanta, Georgia in 1874, Benjamin Harvey Hill described Lee in this way:

“He was a foe without hate; a friend without treachery; a soldier without cruelty; a victor without oppression, and a victim without murmuring. He was a public officer without vices; a private citizen without wrong; a neighbor without reproach; a Christian without hypocrisy, and a man without guile. He was a Caesar, without his ambition; Frederick, without his tyranny; Napoleon, without his selfishness, and Washington, without his reward.”

Aug 23, 2017, 10:58 AM

The really sad part is, all of these students protesting and tearing down statues have no clue who these mean are.

I'm afraid that we've already moved past teaching any of this history in our schools.

The graduates of this system have already been promoted to decision making roles throughout media.

We're all doomed.

Aug 23, 2017, 1:43 PM

I think there is more to this people realize. I grew up in the south. I get it. I'm proud that I'm from the state of South Carolina. I understand the history behind all of this. However, I also remember growing up in a small town and I remember what the rebel flag represented during these modern times. When you are driving down the road, and you see someone with rebel flags all over their car, is your first though that this might be a Clemson graduate with a degree in History? No....its not. You know it and I know what those type of people are. They are the types that will roll down the window and scream out the "N" word if someone of color cuts them off in traffic. The symbols of our past have been adopted by many of the hateful individuals in our culture as well as some of the KKK. This is what the young are protesting. If you should be mad at anyone, don't be mad at our kids for demonstrating against hate, be mad at the groups operating on the fringes of our society that used our southern heritage to promote their racist ideology.

GO TIGERS!

Aug 23, 2017, 11:01 AM

How stupid can ESecheatPN get! Wow!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If This Weren't So Sad

Aug 23, 2017, 11:03 AM

It would be comical.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2017, 11:07 AM

Robert Lee, an Asian American , are you kidding??? Apparently this is a result of a generation mired in severe emotional and mental distress caused by a hyperactive, always socially connected generation, always responding to every little nuance of anyone's and everyone's life no matter how insignificant it is, breeding an abnormal sensitivity to anything becoming "viral", ignoring consideration of the fact that no one is resurrecting the Civil War using Confederate statues, except themselves.

This sums this crap up....

Aug 23, 2017, 11:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo

Trying to understand how this is related anyway to Clemson!!***

Aug 23, 2017, 11:31 AM

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait until the Bone-Headed PC Crowd realizes...

Aug 23, 2017, 11:36 AM

... that the reason we imported slaves in the 1st place was as a directive from England in order to better service the crown.
So will all of the Revolutionary statues will be coming down as well?

Common Sense has LEFT THE BUILDING!

false comparison, those involved in the revolutionary war...

Aug 23, 2017, 11:54 AM

kicked out England, they didn't commit treason against the US like the confederates and start the bloodiest war on US soil just to protect their wealth and status in society. There was one person in the Revolutionary War who did commit treason against the US like the confederates did and his name is synonymous with being a treasonous traitor. All confederates were unAmerican treasonous traitors.

Re: false comparison, those involved in the revolutionary war...

Aug 23, 2017, 12:27 PM

And democrats

Aug 23, 2017, 12:41 PM [ in reply to false comparison, those involved in the revolutionary war... ]

The civil war was fought for many reasons, one of which was slavery.
Have you ever heard of the Morrill Act? The northern states were levying a huge tariff on the southern states.

Robert E Lee did not believe in the institution of slavery. As a matter of fact, he was willed some slaves by his father in law, and freed them. There were also northern slave states that held onto their slaves until after the Civil War. General Ulysses S Grant, the northern general that Robert E Lee surrendered to, was also a slave owner and did not give up his slaves until forced to, after the war. President Lincoln was not a friend of the slaves.

Lincoln asked Robert E Lee to be a Union general, and he said he was a Virginian first. The people back then identified much more with their state, than the country. That was true across the nation.
Their were slave owners on both sides of the Civil War, just as there were non slave owners on both sides. 94% of the people in the South did not own slaves, including Robert E Lee.
Slavery was an evil institution that was used at the time by people on both sides of the Civil War. There are still slaves all over the world, of all colors.

There was interest by several of the northern states in seceding at the time. States were considered sovereign, and were set up as so by the Constitution.

The Civil War was fought, as all wars are, for a complicated list of reasons that have to do with the rich and powerful on both sides using the citizen's lives for their own enrichment. Ever heard of "Rich mans war, poor mans fight"?

It was only one reason...

Aug 23, 2017, 2:29 PM

This state started the Civil War and the only reason they listed in the secession papers was slavery. And that was the only reason other states joined in. There isn't a single historical fact, other than preserving slavery, that factored into the start of the Civil War. I've studied that era since I was in elementary school and I have never came across an authentic piece of evidence showing there were other reasons for the Civil War. You didn't live back then, you didn't own slaves, you didn't start the Civil War. So you have no reason to try to justify it, that is unless you have the same hatred in your heart that the confederates did. It happened 150 years ago. Nothing wrong with admitting the truth and living in the present, instead of romanticizing about people who would have sent you off to war without proper gear or even shoes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/five-myths-about-why-the-south-seceded/2011/01/03/ABHr6jD_story.html?utm_term=.8d36f52c732a

"an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery”

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/south-carolina-declaration-of-causes-of-secession/

Read it and you find only one reason, which is in the quotations above. End of story. You have no factual information to back up your assertion.

In South Carolina 50% owned slaves...

Aug 23, 2017, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: false comparison, those involved in the revolutionary war... ]

Yeah I know Lincoln's original goal was just to preserve the Union, but he changed his views in how to deal with slavery. The northern states that did have slavery in practice didn't engage in treason to keep it going. The the war was started by one side. The Union didn't carry out a single attack until after secession and the attack on fort Sumter. And you got the constitution wrong, we are the United States of America not a confederation of states.

Aug 26, 2017, 7:45 PM [ in reply to false comparison, those involved in the revolutionary war... ]

Secession was not treason! Check out why Jefferson Davis was not given a trial.It was because NORTHERN legal scholars admitted that if Davis received a fair trial for treason, he would NOT be found guilty.The Founding Fathers did not want secession but stated it was a right.

I feel like every single person is missing the point on this

Aug 23, 2017, 12:32 PM

they moved him to avoid the many memes and insults that would be thrown the announcers way if he were to announce the game. You know there would be tons of people making fun of it and ESPN just preferred to side-step that potential. It's really not about being PC or whatever

Re: I feel like every single person is missing the point on this

Aug 23, 2017, 1:08 PM

Then why release a statement.? Just move him.

they had to release a statement because It was leaked

Aug 23, 2017, 1:09 PM

the intention was to do it quietly without mention as they always do when shifting announcers for games.

Re: I feel like every single person is missing the point on this

Aug 24, 2017, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Re: I feel like every single person is missing the point on this ]

They only released a statement after the story leaked out to a third party website and ESPN was forced to respond.

LOL! Nice try***

Aug 23, 2017, 3:26 PM [ in reply to I feel like every single person is missing the point on this ]

Aug 23, 2017, 1:09 PM

And they wonder why they are losing subscribers.

The idiocy is at a fevered pitch.

they lost subscribers to people who never watched espn that cut cable***

Aug 23, 2017, 4:45 PM

what makes them think anyone will be watching***

Aug 23, 2017, 1:12 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is unbelievable to me…

Aug 23, 2017, 1:21 PM

I didn’t realize that UVA still had a football team. (I think Tajh Boyd was QB last time we played.)

Also, ESPN is going to put UVA vs. William and Mary on air? Crazy.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is unbelievable to me…

Aug 23, 2017, 1:45 PM

I'm with you on this one. This is the REAL story!!!!

Aug 23, 2017, 2:19 PM

I find it a bit ironic because Lee's name will now follow him where ever he goes. This act will forever put a bulls eye on his back and every one with the name Lee will be subject to ridicule. We are always quick to classify people as red necks, white trash., liberals, far right, far left, etc. I wonder what group ESPN has targeted as being the ones making jokes about Lee's presence in Charlottesville.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we are done.***

Aug 23, 2017, 2:42 PM

Aug 23, 2017, 2:44 PM

I love living in Canada

Unreal...

Aug 23, 2017, 2:57 PM

This has gotten entirely out of hand. :(

Re: Unreal...and understated

Aug 23, 2017, 4:41 PM

What ever is said about the direction our world is going in, it will still be a massive understatement. It has really gotten to be indescribable!!!

C'mon, people. Read the statement. This is very reasonable.***

Aug 23, 2017, 4:44 PM

Aug 23, 2017, 5:43 PM

This post is not relevant to Tnet, imo. Suggest it be removed.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2017, 8:49 PM

Call him Bob, call him Rob, call him Bobby or call him Robby just don't call him Robert E.! Get a pair and move on.

Aug 23, 2017, 9:14 PM

Those who forget history are bound to repeat it. Idiotic and stupid.

I take it Washington and Lee football will never be aired...

Aug 23, 2017, 9:17 PM

not that it is now, but still...

Lee Jeans? Nope...

Funny thing is...

Aug 24, 2017, 12:42 AM

These jokers may inadvertently be the beginning of the end to this nonsense. There is no possible way the average sees this as more than idiotic.

Avoiding the potential idiocy caused it. FAIL.***

Aug 24, 2017, 8:50 AM

Re: After John Kerry

Aug 26, 2017, 7:56 PM

brought James Taylor to Paris after a terror attack; nothing surprises me RE PC.

Replies: 103
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic