Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trump signs EO banning TikTok
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Trump signs EO banning TikTok

Aug 7, 2020, 11:05 AM

I don't use TikTok and from what I've seen of it, ####, it's stupid. And I know about the China stuff.

But here's the problem I see...

-It goes back to the authority of EOs. They are overused and no one man should have this authority in America. This should be a Congressional decision.
-There are serious First Amendment implications. If he thinks he can do this, he'll think he can ban any social media.

And if you hate social media, that's fine, but keep the Constitution in mind and not your personal emotions.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/900019185/trump-signs-executive-order-that-will-effectively-ban-use-of-tiktok-in-the-u-s?utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3j7Y6L0-nE6OiBSYHpoIU0xw3sgFdcjJqJOrIKJ9uhynz81yvHGZ-2Two&fbclid=IwAR2qCMkw3xvEdTi9DIKXBSvr63qursY0cCNNhGwQaQAdGgerN2siXtYsPOc&fbclid=IwAR0WOZwFOr7wcstUUQYHtSXv8yzuiLNMeU6dawcUYzn_S2gmv1VwDgyqHEc

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

1. Why focus on that now? We are still reeling from

Aug 7, 2020, 11:10 AM

a pandemic that lack of leadership has made us the worse hit country on earth and this guy is worried about an app.

2. It'll be fun seeing so many of these "influencers" shuffling fries at McDonald's again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: 1. Why focus on that now? We are still reeling from

Aug 7, 2020, 12:02 PM

because Tic Toc was the platform used to spoof his rally in Tulsa into believing their were 250k reservations, so they set up and outdoor stage and ended up looking stupid when nobody showed. So in Trumps mind, the only appropriate response is to retaliate against the social media platform, being the petty and vindictive child that he is.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just so I'm up to speed...

Aug 7, 2020, 11:22 AM

Months ago when Schumer said it was a security risk and government agencies started banning it, no issue.

When India banned it due to security issues, no problem.

When Australia, UK, and many EU countries get ready to ban it, no issue.

Trump uses an EO to ban it here, and it's a 1st Amendment issue? It's not a security issue, but a 1st Amendment issue?

I thought Dems said that social media can control their content as they see fit since they are private companies and the 1st Amendment doesn't apply.

Just curious.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't care whether it's banned or not

Aug 7, 2020, 11:23 AM

I'm just wondering why this is a presidential priority and the pandemic wasn't

Why do you keep repeating that lie?

Aug 7, 2020, 11:35 AM

Denying and villifying science

Aug 7, 2020, 11:42 AM

while placing the burden on states to manage the outbreak while simultaneously making states bid against each other for resources was a great strategy.

We’ve been through the whole states argument

Aug 7, 2020, 11:49 AM

I know, why wasn't the pandemic a priority?

Aug 7, 2020, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Denying and villifying science ]

A month after Trump was labeled racist and xenophobic for stopping Chinese flights, Pelosi was out in San Francisco saying:

“Come to Chinatown, precautions have been taken by our city, we know that there's concern about tourism, traveling all throughout the world, but we think it's very safe to be in Chinatown and hope that others will come.”

A few weeks after that, DeBlasio told New Yorkers to continue to live their lives normally.

SMDH.

Where do you get this stuff?

Aug 7, 2020, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Denying and villifying science ]

We were over resourced for medical supplies... you’ve been spending too much time building cardboard decks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do you hate Dr. Fauci?

Aug 7, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I don't care whether it's banned or not ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-j2c99iz60

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think Dr. Fauci "changed his mind" too much

Aug 7, 2020, 11:47 AM

or "keeps backtracking" then you must have failed the scientific process back in high school.

We had a virus we knew absolutely nothing about. He made preliminary statements (as well as the CDC) on what they believed would help stop the spread. Then when more data came available they monitored and adjusted their recommendations. That's what science is suppose to do.

But because he didn't suck Trump's d!ck on national TV like Birx his daughters are now getting death threats by Cult mouth breathers who can't name the first step in the scientific process. And look at how fast they threw her under the bus when she made one statement out of line with Trump Jones.

The cult of Trump is strong. Keep drinking the kool-aid. Zorp will be here soon

It's insanity

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

LOL so Fauci mistakes are scientific progression

Aug 7, 2020, 11:52 AM

Please show me where I have ever disparaged Dr. Fauci...

Aug 7, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to If you think Dr. Fauci "changed his mind" too much ]

you made the statement that the TIkTok thing was a priority and the pandemic was not.

In that clip, Dr. Fauci adds (and he didn't have to add it) that he was "involved in virtually ALL" of those decisions.

So I'm not sure what failing science class has to do with anything.

I respect Dr. Fauci. The only thing I have ever said that might be twisted as a negative toward him is that he is the only one between he and Trump that has ever publicly recommended not to wear masks.

It is an observable fact. And even with that, I am not criticizing him for being wrong. This is a novel virus! We are going to make mistakes as we learn about it.

But to say it was never a priority is incorrect...and sad that it is a political football.

Maybe we should just stick to the TikTok argument on its own merits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just so I'm up to speed...

Aug 7, 2020, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Just so I'm up to speed... ]

Months ago when Schumer said it was a security risk and government agencies started banning it, no issue.

There's no issue with ANY government official calling it a security risk, even Trump. And if government agencies don't want it on their phones, computers, etc., that's fine. Same reason they probably block ####. Honestly, no grown ### person working for the government should be using it on government time.

When India banned it due to security issues, no problem.

We should not be modeling our actions after India.

When Australia, UK, and many EU countries get ready to ban it, no issue.

Have they?

Trump uses an EO to ban it here, and it's a 1st Amendment issue? It's not a security issue, but a 1st Amendment issue?
Again, for the people in the back, no one person in America should have the power to ban content or an app or whatever. Let Congress handle this, and yes, it's a First Amendment issue if a president is allowed to ban any form of expression carte blanche.

I thought Dems said that social media can control their content as they see fit since they are private companies and the 1st Amendment doesn't apply.

Really? Another person here who doesn't understand the difference between private companies controlling their content vs. the government censoring someone's content?

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Aug 7, 2020, 11:55 AM

The government stops millions of cyber attacks every day. If a software program has the same security risk, why wouldn't it be censored? Because of what the software does?

If I made a video game app that mined out all your data and gave it to Russians but it was fun, what would your thoughts be?

Aug 7, 2020, 11:57 AM

I'd say if I knew about the game and what it does, and continued to use it, that's my problem. I made that choice.

How did you feel about the NSA mining our data and Snowden's punishment for revealing it?

Lots of people have corporate email on their smart phones

Aug 7, 2020, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Just so I'm up to speed... ]

and Tik Tok. China has seen stealing a lot of US corporate knowledge So it's more than just government information that is at risk. Having a security clearance, I get the counter intelligence training every year. Unfortunately they are telling us to avoid apps like Tik Tok - they should be.

And there's nothing wrong there...

Aug 7, 2020, 12:05 PM

If we're talking about government employees who could risk giving up sensitive info.

But if an 18-year-old wants to use it for stupid dances and doesn't care about getting mined, whatever.

What about corporate non-gov employees?

Aug 7, 2020, 12:10 PM

Re: What about corporate non-gov employees?

Aug 7, 2020, 12:17 PM

So then if a company wants to bar it, have at it. Just like they bar #### or other questionable sites.

The president of the U.S. shouldn't have carte blanche authority to ban apps, products, corporations, etc.

If you have corporate e-mail on your phone you must

Aug 7, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Lots of people have corporate email on their smart phones ]

comply with your company's requirements.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: If you have corporate e-mail on your phone you must

Aug 7, 2020, 1:56 PM

Most companies probably don't understand issues with all of the apps that are there. They are all over Zoom, but others not so much. And even then, they focus on Zoom meeting settings vice what device you are using it on.

Beyond stupid, our President is a complete moron.***

Aug 7, 2020, 11:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope they ban Tik Tok

Aug 7, 2020, 11:40 AM

My issue is, lots of apps do this. If you see this as a threat,

Aug 7, 2020, 11:49 AM

and you want to ban an app because of it, fine. But just be uniform about it. He’s only tareting tik tok because Chy-nah and because they supposedly messed with his Tulsa rally.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/06/30/ios-14-flags-tiktok-53-other-apps-spying-on-iphone-clipboards/amp/

Also it's spying on the clipboard data, not what you're

Aug 7, 2020, 11:50 AM

typing, T3T was incorrect in that.

Our Baby-in-Chief is sad his feelings are hurt from kiddies who used TikTok.

Re: My issue is, lots of apps do this. If you see this as a threat,

Aug 7, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to My issue is, lots of apps do this. If you see this as a threat, ]

So China is a great country who’s only major sin is messing with a rally?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

China != TikTok***

Aug 7, 2020, 11:53 AM

Could’ve been Microsoft= TikTok***

Aug 7, 2020, 12:01 PM

But China=Communist Corruption.

He's doing everything he can to place the blame

Aug 7, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to My issue is, lots of apps do this. If you see this as a threat, ]

on China for all of the US's problems.

While the virus originated in China, his lack of leadership is why we horrifically and embarrassingly failed at containment.

But he can't be to blame, he needs a scape-goat.

Was Fauci but when the doc's approval numbers wouldn't go down below Trump's he had to find a new boogeyman.

It amazes me that pubs can't see how Trump is constantly trying to divert attention to a new boogeyman to take attention off of his failures.

But I guess if you can't see the con-man, you're the mark.

Re: I hope they ban Tik Tok

Aug 7, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to I hope they ban Tik Tok ]

Shouldn't that be the onus of the service providers to fix that, not the government to just ban it? I'm pretty sure TikTok isn't the only thing out there putting our privacy at risk. Hell, it wasn't long ago our own government was spying on all of us through our cell phones, and the dude who told us about it still can't come home.

Also, you shouldn't want something banned just because you emotionally don't care for it.

Aug 7, 2020, 12:01 PM

Aug 7, 2020, 12:04 PM

Trump wants Microsoft to have Tik Tok so the US can spy on us more. Just kidding but not really.

I mean, you're probably dead-on here...

I don’t really see how this is difficult to understand. The Chinese are as much or more of an adversary than the Russians, and they have more capability. If you watched that video I linked a while back, everyone in China and all businesses have to help the Communist party. Everything is about the party. It’s gotten worse again under Xi Xinpeng. This was from a PBS documentary too not Fox News.

But again, that's the user's choice. I wouldn't use TikTok even if China wasn't mining me, but I definitely wouldn't now. I would say that rests on the service provider to protect consumers and the user to make the choice. Free market, yo... you know, real conservatism.

So no, they don’t deserve repeated attempts to get it right. If Tik Tok was found to be associated with the Russian GRU, people would be all up in arms about it, especially Dems.

Well, if the Russians were doing it, Trump, the GOP, and the Trumpies would be telling us all how great TikTok was.

Again, what about when the NSA did it? People on this board defended that and wanted Snowden executed. It's okay when it's our own government doing it to us?

Aug 7, 2020, 12:15 PM

Aug 7, 2020, 12:18 PM

How is China getting a hold of a bunch of teens TikTok videos the same threat to national security as Bubba having a homemade nuke in his backyard?

Dude did you even read anything that anyone posted?

Aug 7, 2020, 12:25 PM

Then again...

Aug 7, 2020, 12:39 PM

It's on the individual and the service providers, not the government.

Do you really want one president to have the power to ban anything he feels like banning and citing national security?

Pretend it's Obama or Biden banning something you love and use to express your views.

Some things Obama and Biden banned or considered

Aug 7, 2020, 12:55 PM

So we're in agreement?***

Aug 7, 2020, 1:00 PM

Re: Then again...

Aug 7, 2020, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Then again... ]

Might as well drop it. Everyone knows how pubs have been preaching for big government for years... oh, wait.

On a side note, Microsoft buying it would be ideal. Tech moves here, owned by an American company, everyone can keep using it or not as they see fit. Trump insisting that part of the deal should include a check to the US is odd but minus that it should go through.

And Microsoft will keep doing the "spying" that ByteDance

Aug 7, 2020, 1:23 PM

does, just like every app in existence.

Let me also toss in personal responsibility here...

Aug 7, 2020, 12:02 PM [ in reply to I hope they ban Tik Tok ]

If you use TikTok, and you're aware China mines your data, then wouldn't it be your own fault if you continue to use it?

It's like booze. I know the dangers of the continued use, but that's my choice.

Or annoying the #### out of my wife when she first wakes up in the morning. I realize the risk to my safety and health, but I make the choice to still do it.

Re: Let me also toss in personal responsibility here...

Aug 7, 2020, 12:58 PM

Like seatbelts?
Or big gulps
Or social security

I like where you’re going here Cat!

PS

Aug 7, 2020, 1:00 PM

If you support a president banning a product instead of allowing personal responsibility, you're left-leaning.

Don't let your head explode.

Re: PS

Aug 7, 2020, 1:27 PM

Catahoula said:

If you support a president banning a product instead of allowing personal responsibility, you're left-leaning.

Don't let your head explode.

I'll rewrite that for you without your slant that isn't based in reality.

If you support the president banning a NATIONAL SECURITY RISK, while also giving the opportunity for an American company to take over US operations, you have common sense.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump signs EO banning TikTok

Aug 7, 2020, 12:53 PM

Did I miss something here?

The app is a national security issue and needed to be addressed. The president is involved in national security issues.

Also, isn’t he giving a US company an opportunity to take over the US operations of tictock?

...it's not a national security issue.***

Aug 7, 2020, 1:28 PM

Aug 7, 2020, 12:53 PM

Did I miss something here?

The app is a national security issue and needed to be addressed. The president is involved in national security issues.

Also, isn’t he giving a US company an opportunity to take over the US operations of tictock?

Aug 7, 2020, 1:18 PM

your guy (Obama) was the EO king which I think you were all for
at the time.

Hypocrite much?

Obama, 276 in 8 years. Trump, 176 in less than 4.***

Aug 7, 2020, 1:29 PM

MAGA, Trump has a good shot at taking the lead!!!

Aug 7, 2020, 1:46 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol, <3***

Aug 7, 2020, 1:47 PM

I agree, EOs have gained too much footing in law.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:31 PM

I might point out that dems only complain when a pub holds the office and pubs only complain when a dem holds the office.

Being that a precedence is established I doubt a POTUS is going to ever sign a bill changing it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, EOs have gained too much footing in law.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:41 PM

Technically, we don't need them to, just need enough of congress on both sides to grow a spine and get the 2/3 needed to override any veto. Don't see it happening any time soon as both will look at it as a way to get around an uncooperative congress.

Despite the fact they won’t do anything about it, the EO use is out of control no matter who is in office, as is the filibuster use. Kill them both.

Re: I agree, EOs have gained too much footing in law.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:45 PM

3/4ths of the states could alter the constitution also but I'm not holding my breath for that kind of unity to occur. We're at the point where the parties can't agree to disagree.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic