Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trevor Lawrence's bad performance is the scapegoat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Trevor Lawrence's bad performance is the scapegoat

Jan 17, 2020, 6:59 AM

for the loss but I wonder what would have happened if we had several missed calls go our way. The push-off by LSU's Chase for their first TD, the touch out of bounds, the constant holding, the OPI on Tee. I think if some of these calls went the other way Trevor wouldn't have been playing as frantic, Elliott would have stuck with the run game more, and we would be having a different conversation right now. Yes we gave up big plays but often those plays shouldn't have even happen due to drives being extended from missed calls. I think if we played the game 10 times Clemson wins at least 6 or 7.

Just think if Trevor had been on all night and Clemson only lost by a few points. There would be a lot of broken TVs and holes in walls right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trevor Lawrence's bad performance is the scapegoat

Jan 17, 2020, 7:03 AM

I see what you’re saying but you sound ALOT like the OSU fans after that game.

Let’s just give LSU full credit and move on to next year. Can’t win the natty every single year, not even Saban can.

OSU points at a single call that was at best a 50/50 call

Jan 17, 2020, 7:06 AM

Some of the stuff we saw Monday night was just plain missed. Trevor was having a pretty good first quarter until they felt like they had to play from behind - and that's due to LSU drives being extended. I have 0 fault with the targeting call, but you can go look at the tape of the push offs, holding 15 yards down the field right in front of the Ref, hand out of bounds, etc.

Jan 17, 2020, 7:08 AM

To piggy back on that. If you really watch the game the ball was being over thrown a lot because the receivers were not creating enough separation. You're gonna get over throws when you're trying to throw a perfect bread basket pass every time. Not to mention in the second half, he had rushers in his face, in the passing lanes all the time. Of course he didn't play great like we the fans expect every time but I think he played fine.

Jan 17, 2020, 7:20 AM

I think LSU had a lot to do with it, and he seemed tentative, like he was afraid to get picked. A lot of balls were high, or over thrown on deep routes. Credit LSU's secondary, they were far better than advertised.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were very good. You can't convince me that LSU's D

Jan 17, 2020, 7:23 AM

was better than Ohio State's D though. I feel like we matched up better vs OSU than LSU, but OSU matched up better vs LSU than us. Would be interesting if there was a 3-way round robin.

Re: They were very good. You can't convince me that LSU's D

Jan 17, 2020, 7:37 AM

They had a perfect storm on offense, Holding them to 28% on third down was a miracle and tells me that Venables earned his paycheck despite the score. We lost the game by not establishing a ground game on first and second down, and resorted to head scratching plays like a Qb option to the boundary, or poorly disguised RB screens. It was mystifying at times and put too much pressure on Lawrence to convert 3rd down from behind the chains. That is why we lost IMHO.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's my point

Jan 17, 2020, 7:43 AM

Had some of the early calls gone Clemson's way I think Elliott calls a different game. He ended up going for the quick score which in turn stymied the offense. Think if Clemson was up 24-7 or so in the 2nd quarter he would have stuck to the ground more to burn clock.

Re: They were very good. You can't convince me that LSU's D

Jan 17, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: They were very good. You can't convince me that LSU's D ]

I agree. And that 6-7 minute span at the end of the first half did us in. Our D actually held LSU to 14 in the second half, which is really not bad at all. The PI on 3rd and 19 at the end of the half was one of the big plays in the game. Extended their last minute drive. Can't be doing stuff like that.

Possible pick 6 by

Jan 17, 2020, 7:37 AM

Turner.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 7:59 AM

Anybody thinking that Trevor is the "scapegoat" for the loss Monday night needs to have their head examined.
And anybody thinking if things had gone differently on missed calls needs to put it to "rest".
LSU was the better team, Monday night. Period.
They won the game, they are the National Champions and it's time to move on.
Oh, and the point about winning 6 or 7 out of 10 is A MOOT POINT.
It was one game, and we lost.

LSU was the better team Monday night.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:05 AM

What really hurt us too is that we got in LSU territory 8 times - 4 of those times we got no points. Twice in the first quarter we get to their 24 and their 35 and get no points.

It's kind of why Ohio State lost to us. They had 4 trip to the red zone and got 9 points.

We left 16 to 32 points on the table - and got zero. Those missed scoring chances and abandoning the running game is why we lost. LSU made the plays and we didn't. We didn't lose because of the refs.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:25 AM

Sounding an awful lot like Ryan Day here. We got whipped and nothing else need be said.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:26 AM

Oh good grief man. This excuse making is the exact reason people make fun of this board. This post is a perfect example of something that an LSU fan, or any other fanbase that dislikes Clemson, would copy and paste to their board and have a good laugh at. We did the same when Ohio St fans whined and cried just like the op is doing.

LSU made the plays to win the game, we didn’t. Clemson didn’t take care of Clemson, as Dabo loves to say. Simple as that. We had plenty of chances to win that game. Give it a rest.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:28 AM

If you think about it the defense did their job. LSU has too good of an offense to hold them to 14-21 points or so and we all knew they were going to get theirs. The issue was the offense couldn’t convert 3rd downs, we abandoned the run, and simply couldn’t capitalize on opportunities that we had. I can think of 4 plays that cost us 28 points in the game. 1)in the 1st quarter Trevor put the ball about a yard to far to the sideline on an otherwise beautiful pass to tee and it would have been an EASY td. 2) turners dropped pick 6. Say all you want but there was only fat guys to catch him. 3) the tee offensive pass interference that was a td. And 4) the pass interference on 3 & 19. Also I think if we convert a few of the 3rd downs and score on a couple of those opportunities that would’ve kept LSU off the field and would’ve lowered their score to at least 35 and 2 more td’s would’ve given us 39 and obviously that would’ve been a completely different game. Anyways it wasn’t our night but there always next year GO TIGERS!!!

a lot of things could have gone our way

Jan 17, 2020, 8:44 AM

We certainly could have won the game but we didn’t.

So congrats LSU, don’t blame the refs. If we didn’t make any mental errors the refs wouldn’t have been a factor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU was the better team Monday night...

Jan 17, 2020, 9:52 AM

Clemson had to play its "A game" and that simply didn't happen. Not even close.

Everyone (players and coaches alike) picked the wrong time to have an off-night. It wasn't just TL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oh geez

Jan 17, 2020, 9:59 AM

We had a good first ~20 minutes and then got our ##### totally kicked for the last ~40. I think they basically tripled our yardage and outscored us 35-8 over that stretch. They were the better team and they deserved to win. Complaining about the refs is for losers.

^^^^THIS.^^^^

Jan 17, 2020, 10:35 AM

Frankly, it is embarrassing how a lot on here are mirroring the Ohio State Butthurt. Did they really think we were going to go 1000-0 and win like 80 Nattys in a row? Like you said, we got beat by the better team, accept the heyall out of it and MOVE ON!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh geez

Jan 17, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Oh geez ]

Agreed.

Officials can take a team out of a game.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:29 AM

The can't take a national championship team out of a game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic