Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best field goal kickers for Clemson football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Best field goal kickers for Clemson football

Feb 17, 2021, 9:05 AM

My top three are:

1. Chandler Cantazro
2. Obed Areira
3. Mark Bucholtz

Probably misspelled every name but you get the idea. Who are your top three?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football

Feb 17, 2021, 9:17 AM

1. Cat Man
2. Bob Pauling
3. David Treadwell
4. Obed Ariri
5. Eddie Siegler
6. Greg Huegel

Feb 17, 2021, 9:17 AM

Hard to pick three. The best in my years have been David Treadwell, Donald Igwebuike, Obed Ariri and Catman. Potter will be one of the best by the time he leaves, even considering early career difficulties.

What about Chris Gardocki????........

Feb 17, 2021, 9:26 AM

Nobody's mentioning him. He was one of our best if I remember correctly.

Gardocki would get my vote, with Treadwell a close 2nd.

Feb 17, 2021, 9:28 AM

Treadwell breaking Jawja's heart two years in a row is enough by itself to get him on the list. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, I will say that Catman made what is probably the most

Feb 17, 2021, 9:30 AM

important field goal in Clemson history. I remember saying, that night, FINALLY! We are BACK!

And, subsequent history proved that to be correct!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And wasn't that right after Nuk made the 4th and 16......

Feb 17, 2021, 9:47 AM

catch (the last catch of Nuk's Clemson career)?

There were a few more plays to get into field goal range,

Feb 17, 2021, 9:50 AM

but yes, that was the 4th and 16 game. A lot of people forget that we still had to get into field goal range for Catman AFTER 4th and 16 kept the possession alive.

Re: And wasn't that right after Nuk made the 4th and 16..NO

Feb 20, 2021, 11:29 PM [ in reply to And wasn't that right after Nuk made the 4th and 16...... ]

It was after humphreys clutch catch and run to get in range. I’m so glad nut caught that ball but Allen pulled the backend on a 15yrd out while tahj amazingly put the ball in the perfect window because hotrod used his body to block a freed lb. I can keep going but this is a team game. Def wouldn’t have needed a play like that if Morris didn’t run our best receiver in that game down the middle for a 3 yard loss and season ending injury because Sammy would’ve been the leading catcher.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But, I will say that Catman made what is probably the most

Feb 17, 2021, 11:01 AM [ in reply to But, I will say that Catman made what is probably the most ]

That is when the fairy tale became a realism.
Yes, we were finally BACK and have been ever since!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gardocki would get my vote, with Treadwell a close 2nd.

Feb 17, 2021, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Gardocki would get my vote, with Treadwell a close 2nd. ]

You got that right

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about Chris Gardocki????........

Feb 17, 2021, 9:35 AM [ in reply to What about Chris Gardocki????........ ]

You are correct.

Re: What about Chris Gardocki????........

Feb 17, 2021, 9:38 AM [ in reply to What about Chris Gardocki????........ ]

I forgot all about Gardocki. I am ashamed of myself!

Gardocki is the only triple threat we have ever had, to my

Feb 17, 2021, 9:51 AM

recollection. He kicked off, punted, and kicked field goals and PATs.

Re: Gardocki is the only triple threat we have ever had, to my

Feb 17, 2021, 2:07 PM

correct

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gardocki and Treadwell are my alltime favorite

Feb 17, 2021, 9:41 AM

Nelson Welch has to be mentioned as well.

Feb 17, 2021, 9:52 AM

Seigler wasnt bad. Back in that day he was about all we had. Thanks Hootie. One heck of a job

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2021, 11:06 AM

Best ever at Clemson at his point in time.

Feb 17, 2021, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

Thanks for the kind words! I have enjoyed following the careers of each of our Clemson place-kickers and punters that followed me after my 1970,71&72 seasons. They keep getting better and better. We've all done the best we could to make every kick regardless of weather or game situation. We thrive and live for pressure kicks. In 1970 Death Valley's field crown was 10 to 13 inches due to underlying granite and field drainage concepts in those days. So every place kick was either up hill or down hill! The goal posts did not extend upward as they do today. So Away game kicks were often called "No good" when they were in flight above the short upright posts! The Death Valley field was not altered to meet NFL standards until 1994 to meet the new Carolina Panthers needs while their stadium in Charlotte was being built. Also in 1970 we had no side-line kicking nets, nor heaters nor off-season specialty camps or coaches. It was all self-taught as best we could. So to see how it has all evolved over the last fifty years and to still be alive to see it happen really warms my heart! For the record for the combined 1970,71 & 72 seasons we scored 134 points (44 extra points and 30 field goals including two 52 yard ACC record kicks). This was 4th on the Clemson All Time Individual Career Scoring when I graduated. By comparison our Chandler Cantazaro career scoring in 4 seasons was something like 406 points total! Way to go guys! Go Tigers!!

Thanks for finally joining in!!!

Feb 17, 2021, 12:47 PM

The air just got cleaner . . . Welcome to t-net!!!

Question:
Were you our original #3, setting the bar for excellence?

Don’t be a stranger.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for finally joining in!!!

Feb 17, 2021, 6:31 PM

Paul Gantt gave me a heads-up that y'all were discussing our Tiger kickers. Yes, I was the original #3 signing Coach Howard's full scholarship offer in 1969. It was a great opportunity and I'm proud to be a member of the Clemson family! Eddie Seigler

Re: Thanks for finally joining in!!!

Feb 17, 2021, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Thanks for finally joining in!!! ]

Feb 17, 2021, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

I was at the game in Columbia when you kick that 52 yarder. Even though 14 additional points were scored by the Tigers that night, your FG is the only scoring I remember.

Feb 17, 2021, 6:46 PM

Our chance to go for the first field goal (the 52 yard effort into the wind) became the first score in the game in which we were the underdogs. That 3points helped fire us up and we went on to win 17-7 at South Carolina in 1971. The field was Astro-turf and the day was crystal clear and cold/windy ;) We lit cigars afterward in the locker room!

Marion Reeves with 2 interceptions in that game, I believe.***

Feb 17, 2021, 9:48 PM

Re: Marion Reeves with 2 interceptions in that game, I believe.***

Feb 18, 2021, 11:30 PM

Yes! Marion Reeves interceptions in the '71 game at Carolina was a huge part of that win ;)
Here is a photo from 8/10/19 of Marion Reeves (center), Peanut Martin (right) and Eddie Seigler (left) yours truly!

Feb 19, 2021, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

Wish you had been there a few years earlier when we lost to Alabama 13-10. I think Steedly Candler missed three field goals that day. Not a good day for Steedly!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2021, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

Welcome aboard Eddie.
A pleasure and a privilege to have you.

Feb 17, 2021, 7:01 PM

Thank y'all very much. Go Tigers! #3

SWEET - I'm sure I saw you kick - but before I knew any

Feb 17, 2021, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

player names - was 6-9ish I guess and sitting on the hill somewhere where my parents sent me - all I knew was to pull for the orange and white fellers - life was good then.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

Steady Eddie

Still a team player "we scored 134 points", a classy move to remind us it takes more than a kicker to make a field goal.

Thanks for the post, and don't be a stranger.

Feb 18, 2021, 11:56 PM

Thank you ???? Without the solid O-Line, a precision snap and hold we kickers wouldn't be ;)

The quality of the picture doesn’t match . . .

Feb 19, 2021, 12:36 AM

the quality of our Kicker!!!

(From the 1970 Citadel Program)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2021, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

Didn’t you score the only points against Alabama on the road in 1970 or 1971?

Feb 20, 2021, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

Didn’t you score the only points against Alabama on the road in 1970 or 1971?

Feb 20, 2021, 11:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Best field goal kickers for Clemson football ]

Ty sir! Proud to see you here!

Feb 17, 2021, 10:02 AM

Donald Igwebuike give the man some love!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2021, 10:49 AM

Cat man tops the list. New Year’s Eve at magic kingdom. Not a tv in sight. Got my phone on the radio station listening to the game. 75000 people around me waiting on fireworks over the castle. The kick is up and it’s good. I am screaming shouting jumping going bizzerk. We won we won. People around me are getting scared. Security comes up to me. I explain what happened. We exchanged a high five and proceeded to watch the biggest fireworks show of my life over the magic kingdom. Yea that evening was indeed magical!!!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends on how you judge kickers.......

Feb 17, 2021, 11:25 AM

Personally, I think a guy that can make it from 50+ is who i want. If that is the case:

1. Gardocki
2. Iguibwuike

If you are more into accuracy from inside 40:

1. Welch
2. Cat man

That's not to say that the first two weren't accurate. But they were more known for having big legs. I like Gardocki because he could punt, kick, and kickoff.

Feb 17, 2021, 12:55 PM

Seems strange to leave off the fg kicker with the most made kicks all time...

Feb 17, 2021, 2:10 PM

Tough because different eras, different coaches with different philosophies but most of those mentioned were clutch and that is what matters

and a LOT of game winners came from them that were very important

they made it exciting

GO TIGERS

Well...

Feb 17, 2021, 3:46 PM

If my life depended on a made FG, my choice would be...

David.

Treadwell.

That's the list.

Re: Well...

Feb 17, 2021, 4:30 PM

I was on the sidelines when David beat the Dawgs, ice water was never so cool.

But in terms of personality + ability, Iggy all day, his laugh was infectuous

Treadwell and Gardocki are at the top of my list.***

Feb 17, 2021, 3:52 PM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Treadwell and Gardocki are at the top of my list.***

Feb 20, 2021, 9:28 AM

Did Treadwell ever miss a clutch kick? He was a money kicker.

Feb 17, 2021, 4:47 PM

In no particular order: Treadwell, Catanzaro, Gardocki, Ariri.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Obed has always been my favorite.

Feb 17, 2021, 5:47 PM

(not you Obed® ;))

Tredwell, Donald Igwebuike & Catman

But loving a BJ right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Feb 17, 2021, 6:07 PM

Don’t forget Iggy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best kicker: Donald Igwebuike; Best Uniform: Jad Dean***

Feb 17, 2021, 7:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2021, 7:46 PM

Potter? He’s been pretty good. Holds the record for longest try? (Dabos fault)

Nelson Welch, last kicker with the narrow goal posts!***

Feb 17, 2021, 8:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"No Shins" Nederlander

Feb 17, 2021, 9:07 PM

Good kicker, but was stunted due to losing shins in a bear trap.

Feb 17, 2021, 9:22 PM

I like all the ones mentioned. Especially Arieri and Igwebweke. Remember one game where Iggy came out and kicked off wearing orange socks. Danny crawled him soon as he came to sideline. No more orange socks! I would add Greg Huegal. Really undervalued member of championship teams. He was money, especially before he got injured.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2021, 9:48 PM

Nelson Welch
David Treadwell
Obed Ariri

Ammon Lakip?***

Feb 18, 2021, 3:36 PM

Feb 19, 2021, 9:57 AM

Without looking it up, does anyone know who the first soccer style kicker in the country was ..... and where he played?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't think of his name right now, but wasn't he a one of

Feb 21, 2021, 12:08 AM

the Ivy League schools?

Feb 19, 2021, 4:12 PM

Gardocki
Treadwell
Catanzaro

in that order...

Feb 19, 2021, 7:27 PM

Iggy and Obed followed closely by Gardocky.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

I always consider Obed Ariri and Donald Igwebuike to be

Feb 20, 2021, 9:30 AM

kind of bookends, since Danny stole them both from the soccer team. They had so much success, the NCAA hated it, and made a rule that no matter what other sport was being played, if they played football, they had to count against the football scholarship limits.

I always had trouble twisting my tongue around pronouncing Donald's last name, it was simpler to just say Iggybeaky.

Feb 21, 2021, 12:00 AM

Treadwell. Jacksonville soccer boy. Two in a row vs. GA gets my vote. Kicked a lazy ball that just floated up there & barely turned over but went through. The Catman kick vs. LSU was big too. I wuz there. Best leg goes to Gardocki. Lined up weird (sideways) for FG but I don't remember him missing. He gets best punter too. Saw him kick a 74 yarder one day in DV. Eddie "The Toe" Werntz gets a nod for always kicking a perfect spiral on punts. Dale Hatcher for kicking inside the 20 & close to the goal line. Not sure, but it seems that the egg-shaped ball was better for punting than the skinny ball they use now. I wasn't around when Mr. Seigler was kicking & the Tigers weren't on TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic