Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Travel tips for New Orleans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Travel tips for New Orleans

Dec 30, 2019, 2:36 PM

Clemson fans we welcome you to our state. We won’t you to come and have a great time. Like any metropolitan area there are great places to visit but there are also some things you need to be aware of. i’m sure the reputation of New Orleans proceeds itself. But just a few things that you need to know.

1. The best parking is going to be at your hotel. Don’t try to park around the city as it is going to be very crowded. Just walk or use Uber.

2. The best entertainment areas is obviously the Bourbon Street area in the French quarter. If you’re young and really want to go out and have a good time this is where you want to go. Please do be careful though as is the case in most areas where all the fun is is where all the danger is. If you’re going to go to New Orleans go in a group to go out. Pick pockets or a legitimate nuisance in this town. Keep your money and possessions in your front pockets.

3. If you want to enjoy some really good food there’s a lot of places you can go. Food is probably what we’re best known for. There are several really good, old historic restaurants in the French quarter but you can also go to the Garden District down Saint Charles. I would definitely recommend going to superior seafood on St. Charles. If you’re an orchestra person go to Felixs on bourbon. You can go to the back bar and eat oysters freshly shipped right off Bourbon Street.

4. Uber is your friend. If you are staying in the French quarter it is quite a walk to the Superdome. If you were staying closer towards downtown walking is definitely easier. If you are staying in the Garden District forget about it. The walk between the Garden District and the Superdome trust me you don’t want to be on.

5. Areas to avoid. There are some pretty rough areas in the Garden District as you can imagine. But in God’s almighty name do not I repeat do not go to the ninth Ward. This is the area of New Orleans with the cops don’t even go. While New Orleans can be a very fun town it is also a dangerous town late at night so please be careful.

6. If you’re looking for some cooler things to do in the state, you can drive about two hours north and go visit the Tabasco factory located at Avery Island. Located around the Garden District but also just outside of New Orleans you can visit a tour of homes. We have a lot of really large old antebellum homes down here. One of the more famous ones is Oak alley. These are some really unique and cool things to see. If you are a sportsman and would like to do any duck hunting, fishing or both fishing. Within an hour of New Orleans you can do all of these. The bow fishing and duckhunting for sure are very excellent.

We are a very welcoming state And fan base and want you to come down, be safe and have a great time. Please don’t judge us by most of the LSU lurkers on this site. Like your Fanbase I’m sure, we do have the guys that do this strictly for entertainment value. For the most part, when you come down we will be friendly. We will want to tailgate with you. We will want to feed you and drink with you and have fellowship. Good luck to your Tigers. We are praying for an injury free really good football game.

If I can answer any other questions just post and I’ll try.

Geaux Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Travel tips for New Orleans

Dec 30, 2019, 2:41 PM

You can always find parking at harrahs. Just pop in, play some slots, get your ticket validated and uber to the dome.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 3:19 PM

Thanks for the tips, I’m sure some people will appreciate some advice. I’ve been to NO many times pre and post Katrina. I even spent several weeks down there helping rebuild some houses for a charity after Katrina.

That said, IMO, there are only a few things that city has going for it: the food, the music and the bridge heading out of town.

I know a bunch of LSU fans and they are good people so I won’t be trolling the fans. NO though is a crap-hole.

May the best Tigers win.

Dec 30, 2019, 8:55 PM

Noodle said:

Thanks for the tips, I’m sure some people will appreciate some advice. I’ve been to NO many times pre and post Katrina. I even spent several weeks down there helping rebuild some houses for a charity after Katrina.

That said, IMO, there are only a few things that city has going for it: the food, the music and the bridge heading out of town.

I know a bunch of LSU fans and they are good people so I won’t be trolling the fans. NO though is a crap-hole.

May the best Tigers win.

The city has come a long way in 15 years since katrina. No longer a craphole.

Dec 30, 2019, 9:53 PM

I’ve been there 3 times in the past 2 years. Still a crap-hole though it’s a much nicer crap-hole than it was before Katrina, I’ll give you that much.

Dec 30, 2019, 11:42 PM

Noodle said:

I’ve been there 3 times in the past 2 years. Still a crap-hole though it’s a much nicer crap-hole than it was before Katrina, I’ll give you that much.

Craphole is pretty subjective and a lazy assessment. You can call anything a craphole. Clemson is a craphole, that was easy.

Dec 31, 2019, 12:28 AM

I guess I should be more specific.

I’ve travelled to NO probably 10-12 different times over the last 20 years. Never felt safe. Walking most anywhere you better be with a group. Nearly everyone you encounter will try to hustle you...never make eye contact. Homeless everywhere. Hookers everywhere. Classy place.

I’ve had my hotel room robbed. Watched 2 guys try to steal my truck. Had a guy try to lift my wallet. A guy trying to hustle my wife grabbed her by the arm when she tried to walk away...I put that ##### on the ground and he and his posse ran. That was at the Sugar Bowl fan fest. Some of my Clemson brethren may have seen that.

When my church was down there volunteering our time to help some people rebuild we didn’t get left alone. Stealing our tools and supplies. Harassing us for trying to do something nice. Sitting on the curb heckling us. They couldn’t believe we had taken vacation to work for free. The whole reason we were even there to work was because locals had ripped off their neighbors in need...their neighbors were struggling and the first thing they think to do is steal from them.

The last time I was there the food wasn’t even very good so I really have very little desire to go back other than work or football. I find it really strange that I’ve had so many negative experiences especially since I tend to intimidate most hood rats since I’m 6’4, 250 lbs I don’t normally get harassed. The trash in NO is bold.

I’ll be flying in the day of the game and will be gone early the next day...spend as little time as possible there.

I stand by my assessment. NO is a crap-hole. Not going to discuss it any more. Sorry your city sucks.

Dec 30, 2019, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Travel tips for New Orleans ]

I was born in Louisiana and have spent lots of time there. Bourbon Street is the biggest tourist trap in the USA unless you like to hang out with drunks. But New Orleans has many wonderful restaurants!

So glad you posted because there's something I need to know

Dec 30, 2019, 3:36 PM

Where's the best place to go for a really good corn dog? I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who wants to know. TIA ;)

Re: So glad you posted because there's something I need to know

Dec 30, 2019, 4:55 PM

This is trip two for me for nola. I’ll be staying again in east riverside district . Close to
Magazine street and tipitinas more local instead of tourist bourbon stuff. Wondering best bars for younger crowd aka women and also seafood.

Re: So glad you posted because there's something I need to know

Dec 30, 2019, 10:34 PM

jqhall627 said:

This is trip two for me for nola. I’ll be staying again in east riverside district . Close to
Magazine street and tipitinas more local instead of tourist bourbon stuff. Wondering best bars for younger crowd aka women and also seafood.

Have no idea about a corndog. Due to it being fried though I’m sure we do it better than most...lol

Well maybe not always...
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/two-men-indicted-after-beating-alabama-fan-to-death-in-bar-fight/289-40ef2de5-e113-4fdb-9879-cf98ab5e40f3

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 1:24 AM

We’ll let that one slide...

Great post, Red Stick, and thank you. Please give these rude replies a pass. Recent exposure to Ohio State fans must have caused a hopefully temporary breakout of yankee manners.

Here are some substantive questions:

Is it possible to do a long bar hop and work your way from the Quarter to the Superdome?

Any New Orleans restaurants that are historic, but past their prime and now tourist traps to avoid? For example, Galatoire's, Commander's, Arnaud's.....

Dec 30, 2019, 10:37 PM

It is very possible. It’s a pretty good walk. There are plenty of restaurants/bars between bourbon and the dome though.

I’m more of a hole in the wall joint kind of guy. There’s a lot of holes in the wall places. Coops place is my favorite. It’s also very close to café du Mond. Good coffee and Beniets

Dec 30, 2019, 7:20 PM

Thank you for the post, it was thoughtful and intelligent. I made a road trip once to New Orleans and that was plenty. My buddy was a cop and he was armed and we still didn’t feel safe. Never again. I will enjoy this game from the relative safety of my living room. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Dec 30, 2019, 7:20 PM

Thank you for the post, it was thoughtful and intelligent. I made a road trip once to New Orleans and that was plenty. My buddy was a cop and he was armed and we still didn’t feel safe. Never again. I will enjoy this game from the relative safety of my living room. Go Tigers!

Class of '87

Dec 30, 2019, 8:09 PM

See. you try to be nice and there are always aholes.
I suggest you walk up Bourbon street, cross St. Peters st. Then you will find plenty of bars that may suit your taste

Dec 30, 2019, 10:20 PM

Says the guy calling ETN’s mom a liar...

Dec 30, 2019, 10:42 PM

Noodle said:

Says the guy calling ETN’s mom a liar...

I never called anyone a liar. I simply said that I’ll top it was bull crap. We don’t treat our homegrown kids that way. Trust me we’ve lost plenty of them to Alabama. We may give them a hard time for leaving the state but they’re always welcome home. Get it together and stop being so petty

Dec 30, 2019, 11:27 PM

I wasn’t replying to you...

Dec 30, 2019, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Travel tips for New Orleans ]

Can’t say that I blame you. I love my state but New Orleans is on a whole different level. I’m from North Louisiana and travel to New Orleans a good bit. I would never live there.

Dec 31, 2019, 3:08 PM

I think feeling of uneasiness is what makes the city really cool for me, it was similar to traveling internationally. Yeah, there are some really poor parts of New Orleans and I can see why some would not enjoy, but it is one of the few cities in the US where you feel like you are on a movie set. The people were really nice (even to a Yankee tourist). The architecture is amazing and it has a real, uncommercial vibe that is spooky yet very chill.

Growing up I always kind of pulled for LSU and in life found LSU fans to be generally friendly folks. Obviously very passionate and often eccentric, but there to party and have a good time, more than feeling it’s life or death if they win like some other cities/schools.

I was invited to a the UT/LSU game in 2006? (nutso game!), since I was a guest of UT friends I wore a Tennessee hat, walking back from the tailgating bathroom a crazy Cajun Superfan yells at me “hey big fella, we’re gonna kick your butts today, but before that happens come here and try some this dumbo gumbo, shrimpmnmbmbmb...” I could barely understand him) he gave me a big bowl and forced me to take about a 5oz fireball shot with him. Good times...

Dec 30, 2019, 8:06 PM

Thanks! Look forward to the game. Good luck. Peace

Is "We WON’T you to come and have a great time" a

Dec 30, 2019, 8:11 PM

"Cajun Slip?"

Nice post.***

Dec 30, 2019, 8:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 8:39 PM

Are the fish house restaurants on Lake Ponchatrain still good?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 10:49 PM

kpttiger said:

Are the fish house restaurants on Lake Ponchatrain still good?

Yes… Still some very good ones in both Slidell and Covington

Thank You!

Dec 30, 2019, 8:47 PM

Any problems wearing orange this week with the locals?

Oklahoma fans say they were not treated well at all when they played you there.

BTW - I have a number of wonderful friends that are LSU alumni. In fact the office next to me and above me have people with PHDs from LSU and my mentor was the late Larry de la Bretonne.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/199557171/laurence-willard-de_la_bretonne

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Thank You!

Dec 30, 2019, 9:00 PM

BTW - I have a number of wonderful friends that are LSU alumni. In fact the office next to me and above me have people with PHDs from LSU and my mentor was the late Larry de la Bretonne.

criminals specifically target fans of other teams based on the colors they are wearing. I remember after the 2006 sugar bowl, so many notre dame fans were mugged, robbed and beaten.

Dec 30, 2019, 10:25 PM

Such a wonderfully charming place. But, but the food is great...as long as you don’t get murdered before dessert.

God tried wiping out that cesspool.

Dec 30, 2019, 10:44 PM

People rebuilt it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dec 31, 2019, 1:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Thank You! ]

OK. We’ll let you slide on that too...

Dec 30, 2019, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Thank You! ]

I’m sure you’ll get ribbed by some LSU fans but it’s all in good fun. I was there with all the alcohol there I’m sure there will be an ####### or two but I assure you if someone from LSU gives you a problem someone else from LSU will step in and help you out. We want you to want to come back and see us the same as you want us to come back and see you when we come visit you.

I'll add, go to the Bourbon House if you like bourbon.

Dec 30, 2019, 8:50 PM

Sunshine is a great bartender.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks. Always love eating in La. have worked around the

Dec 30, 2019, 9:09 PM

southern part of the state and enjoyed every minute of it.

Very gracious of you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 9:12 PM

Classy Post! Thx RST Would love to know the nontouristy places for the bestest gumbo?

I do know the WWII museum is a must do and well worth it. 5*

Dec 30, 2019, 10:48 PM

NGATIG said:

Classy Post! Thx RST Would love to know the nontouristy places for the bestest gumbo?

I do know the WWII museum is a must do and well worth it. 5*

You definitely need to do the World War II museum. It is awesome but right now they’re doing some additions to it.

You can get good gumbo just about anywhere. I would definitely recommend the hole in the wall restaurants though. The best one that I have ever had was Neyows creole cafe on Bienville. Food is on point. WWW.NEYOWS.COM

Dec 30, 2019, 9:15 PM

The city smells like urine. Take in the WWII museum. See all the "sites" one must to say they've been to New Orleans then get out. Check it off the list.

Do not go through Atlanta between 6am and 2am***

Dec 30, 2019, 9:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 10:43 PM

It's been 30 years since I've been to NO. I'm thinking about staying in the Slidell, East NO, Covington, Metairie, Kenner, or Gretna areas to get away from the price gouging in downtown NO. Are these decent areas or are some of them to be avoided?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 10:52 PM

It's been 30 years since I've been to NO. I'm thinking about staying in the Slidell, East NO, Covington, Metairie, Kenner, or Gretna areas to get away from the price gouging in downtown NO. Are these decent areas or are some of them to be avoided?

I would definitely look at Covington or Slidell. Those are about the only places left with hotels available. They’re both safe places and just a quick bridge ride over to New Orleans. I would definitely avoid the ninth Ward and some parts of the Garden District after dark. You definitely do not want to go just south of the Dome after dark. It’s pretty bad

Dec 30, 2019, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the help.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Travel tips for New Orleans ]

If driving in from Slidell, where is a good place to park near the Dome? Parking garage? Thanks for all the tips!

We're staying at Harrah's in Biloxi

Dec 30, 2019, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Travel tips for New Orleans ]

Got two of the three nights comped. Poker all day Sunday and 3rd out of 4 nattys on Monday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Dec 31, 2019, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Travel tips for New Orleans ]

We stayed in Slidell. Room we’re about a 1/3 of NO rates. We went to WW2 museum. Surprised Walmart sold liquor. We had a great time. On a sour note, it was cold as hell and with the security to get into the stadium took forever

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 11:15 PM

Good old NOLA! Been there many times. The #### that I have seen go down on Bourbon Street is unbelievable. Definitely not a kid friendly environment.

My friend got the nickname "two cups" after a long night of beverage partaking. I save the details for another day.

me too buddy, me too.

Dec 30, 2019, 11:37 PM

The party never ends

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: me too buddy, me too.

Dec 31, 2019, 9:49 AM

plenty of rooms left in/near the quarter. just have to be willing to stop squeaking and pay up. 4 nights at the Marriott was 1900. so im sure the Sheraton is about the same

no need to be scared of the city. crime is bad everywhere

the real felony is gonna take place INSIDE the superdome on monday night. LSU in a cakewalk

Dec 31, 2019, 12:24 PM

AMLA said:

plenty of rooms left in/near the quarter. just have to be willing to stop squeaking and pay up. 4 nights at the Marriott was 1900. so im sure the Sheraton is about the same

no need to be scared of the city. crime is bad everywhere

the real felony is gonna take place INSIDE the superdome on monday night. LSU in a cakewalk

I live in NOLA.

DO NOT try to walk from the Dome to the Quarter after dark. Walk to a bar on Poydras and wait for an Uber.

In the Quarter, stay with the crowd. If you don’t see lots of people, you are in the wrong place. If you do, you are pretty safe.

After midnight, watch your back in the Quarter. A favored method of robbery is to knock you down from behind.

Be safe. Drunk tourists get robbed every day in the City. You can avoid that by following these tips.

Dec 31, 2019, 2:41 PM

1. We are staying on S Galvez st and plan to walk the mile or so to the stadium. Will my family get molested at midnight after the game?

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Its-a-lsu-dude-on-tnet***-26631926#ixzz69iNbkXpU

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 1, 2020, 6:12 AM

1. We are staying on S Galvez st and plan to walk the mile or so to the stadium. Will my family get molested at midnight after the game?

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Its-a-lsu-dude-on-tnet***-26631926#ixzz69iNbkXpU

Not sure if you are serious. If you are, good luck. If you aren’t, consider accommodations in Holly Grove.

If you are just being a #######, enjoy the curbstomping (if you are lucky).

Dec 31, 2019, 12:17 PM

Some additional travel tips...

1) the World War 2 museum, absolutely world class.

2) ride a streetcar, preferably a green one down St Charles Ave.

3) the Aquarium and Audubon Zoo...

3) Magazine Street...shopping, restaurants, and bars...

4) Oak Street off of South Carrolton...lots of bars and restaurants...

5) Don't be afraid to try some of the little neighborhood joints...

Dec 31, 2019, 3:08 PM

My favorite restaurant is Galatoire’s on 209 Bourbon Street. Very delicious! Love it!

Jan 1, 2020, 8:02 AM

We took one of the bus tours around the city - it was worth it as they showed a lot of things I would never had known about - you can also get off if you want to explore

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2020, 8:37 AM

Whatever you do do not under any circumstances try to interview any vampires. It's sick and dangerous plus Anne Rice could sue. The whole thing could end up homoerotic.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic