Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tougher Offense To Defend: 20 Bama or 19 LSU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Tougher Offense To Defend: 20 Bama or 19 LSU?

Dec 23, 2020, 8:55 PM

1st of all - this is not an assumption of anything! Not that Clemson will beat Ohio State or that Alabama will beat Notre Dame. It is simply a general football question for X and O football heads like myself. So, with that stated.

In my opinion: the 2019 LSU team will end up being the hardest to defend of the two. Joe Burrow in my opinion is better than Jones( who is very good dgmw ). I think Jefferson is better than D. Smith. I think the LSU TE is better than the Bama TE. And, finally the other WR spots I have as perhaps a slight edge to Alabama! Najee Harris is better at straight running out the backfield; but Clyde Edwards-Helaire was really good at pass pro and catching passes out the backfield. Harris I am aware can do those things but doesn't really have to often(because it hasn't had to be called a bunch I guess).

I give the edge to LSU because of Burrow! Had Waddle not gotten hurt; I would probably have to go Bama!

What do you think X and O guys?

Tigers O?
Tigers74?
Carlsbad?
TotalDominance?
Swarley?
Balm?
Tobias?
Tiger_Swimmer?
Clemson2003?
Big CU Fan?

I can't think of all my football heads off the top of my head(tired, went to work early today and trying to relax). Apologies already; because I know I am missing some!

Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tough question

Dec 23, 2020, 9:10 PM

You bring up some good points. I look at the LSU game as comparable to our game in 2018 championship. LSU could do no wrong. If the pass was slightly off mark they made a remarkable catch ala Ross. We didn't play complimentary football that night either.

If you are basing it on the entire year's work I think LSU as they had more receiving threats. Alabama really has only 2. I think Ala. has a better running game this year, but when the passing game in unbelievable it is impossible to stop.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tougher Offense To Defend: 20 Bama or 19 LSU?

Dec 23, 2020, 9:25 PM

I agree Burrow is the main difference scrambling and throwing on the run. Skill positions I believe all come to a wash. The oline I would lean LSU also but hard to tell with the way SEC defenses look this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 9:38 PM

LSU, hands down. That offense was practically unstoppable by the end of last year. amazingly Auburn was the only team to hold them under 30.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 9:54 PM

Thanks!

So far, seems it's a slight edge to LSU 2019.

Appreciate the feedback!

No Comparison. Mac Jones is Decent

Dec 23, 2020, 9:47 PM

I think faced with pressure and good coverage he becomes decent. Bama D is not Top 10 Material. The Domers should be able to score in the 30s

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 10:21 PM

19 LSU was a old veteran team that had the table set, prepared and ready to eat......plus it was the equivalent of Clemson playing the championship game in Greenville.

20 Bama is overrated like the whole SEC in my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 10:52 PM

Keith - it's hard isn't it. Alabama "themselves" were getting torched early in the season! I think Smith is a game changing WR. The other WR is good as well! OF course Nicky Satan will have a big OL.
But, besides Florida who else in the SEC was playing really good offense?

I thought Georgia found some offense - but it was too late. Or was it the teams they played got worse than Florida and Bama? They had previously struggled with Kentucky.

I can't help but remember how Bama just destroyed the entire SEC in 18 much like they are now! Only to come up with 16 points in the championship game. Everybody gives them incredible kudos because it's "the sec"! But, SEC defenses were looking like SEC defenses this year!

Not that we are worried or thinking about a game with them as I said. We have to beat O Cry O St. and their arrogant butts 1st. They tough and present problems. Just from a football stand point - "have any new starters freshmen or just new to starting" had time to gel when the game is on the line"? Wish we had 13 games at this point - but 11 is good! Much better than 6. 4 of which were no contest before the game began. And, that's not just a knock of the football teams. It's something you can see in recruiting! Indiana isn't a top 20 team, Rutgers isn't, Nebraska isn't, Michigan St. isn't, Northwestern isn't close and then Penn State who is a top 20 in recruiting school. But, they started the season 0-5 against some bad teams. Football stand point - not having a team on the field in a different uniform running plays you haven't practiced against all summer is not in their favor. Practice is practice is practice as Allen Iverson would say. Not the game - what will they do when the opponent has just as much speed as them and more seasoned players? And a chip on their shoulder b/c of all the non-sense spewing out of Ohio?

Dec 23, 2020, 11:02 PM

You nailed it HRT! Couldn't disagree with a thing you said!!

Dec 24, 2020, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Tougher Offense To Defend: 20 Bama or 19 LSU? ]

Kieth, I wouldn't say Bama is overrated this year. Each team has had issues with covid and that as we know, with injuries can greatly impact the game.

Really can't compare because of Bama not having waddle. Burrow could line up 2 wides, Chase and the other wr..drafted 21 were a hard pair. But we have lsu a game with the little we had. CBV had to pull a rabbit out his ### and he almost did. But, burrow dropped some dimes that maybe if he threw those 10 times he might drop 2 like he did. He was incredible on target... Against a darn good CB in aj.

Still I think the better team is Bama this year. See below.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU, Burrow broke our back with 3-4 huge runs at critical

Dec 23, 2020, 10:49 PM

Points during our game with them.

Dec 23, 2020, 10:49 PM

LSU...not even close Iah...Bama offense in 2020 is like Bama offense in 2018 except Tua could run a little...they will get the same beat down they got in San Fran...btw...Ohio state is getting the beat down they got in 2016 in the desert!!! Just giving y’all a heads up!!!

Dec 23, 2020, 11:04 PM

I agree!

Dec 23, 2020, 11:03 PM

I think Alabama will be tough to stop, but I’d give LSU the edge for the same reason you did which is Joe Burrow.

I know you were specifically asking about the offense, but I think people overlook that LSU was playing much better defense over their last few games last year going into the NC.

They had struggled on defense for a large part of the season, but had played much better defense after getting some guys back from injury. They gave up 7 to A&M and 10 to Georgia to end the season. They they largely shut down a high powered Oklahoma offense until they gave up a couple of scores late after leading 56-14.

The Alabama defense appears to be more vulnerable. I think we have more talent up front this year to give BV options for being pressure to Jones. Alabama is going to be tough to beat, but I don’t think they’re as talented on either side of the ball as LSU was last year.

Dec 24, 2020, 12:16 AM

Very tough question. With waddle, I say hands down Bama this year. I still give Bama a slight edge over Lsu last year simply because of the oline and rushing attack that Bama has when they need it.

I believe the only game Bama was down in at the half this year was uga. Bama really didn't get tested this year. Yeah, ole miss gave em a scare but it was almost like the Fla game where Bama was cruising at half and then the Bama offense had a bad 3rd qtr and Fla crept back in. But Bama would easily come right back.

Just don't think LSU was as dominant or balanced a team as Bama this year... Simply because as I said, Bama hasn't had to be. Smith is the best wr hands down and why he'll walk with the Heisman.

Now, you didn't ask who was better between day and burrow. Burrow is. Day's not shabby but the only D he faced this year was uga... Once he figured it out and made adjustments in 2nd half, they ran away from uga....

Such a tough but good debate. One thing I would say, hard comparing apples and oranges. I'd have to digest each game this year but with so many teams dealing with covid issues, how many teams may have given Bama an even better test had they had 100% of players etc.

Dec 24, 2020, 7:25 AM

I think one of the big things is we’ve played a Sarkisian team before and have plenty of tape of others playing them. Joe Brady’s play calling style was a different animal last year. Also, you can’t ignore the defense. I don’t think 19 LSU would have let Ole Miss score 1,480 points on them ??

Go Tigers!

Dec 24, 2020, 8:32 AM

It’d be a discussion if they had a fully healthy Waddle, but because they don’t, ‘19 LSU easily.

Dec 24, 2020, 10:04 AM

Agreed!

Waddle on the field would neutralize the Burrow advantage.

Dec 24, 2020, 10:44 AM

Outstanding question and debate once again. You always seem to come up with good x and o threads. Thanks. Make the off weeks and slow holidays much more enjoyable.

Dec 24, 2020, 3:06 PM

Outstanding question and debate once again. You always seem to come up with good x and o threads. Thanks. Make the off weeks and slow holidays much more enjoyable.

Thanks!

And Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!

Dec 24, 2020, 8:43 AM

I’d have to go with LSU, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying that Jefferson is better than Smith. Jefferson is incredibly, but Smith is a different kind of talent.

Got to be 2019 LSU. I had the feeling, even early on, that

Dec 24, 2020, 8:50 AM

we were barely hanging on by our fingernails on defense, and it was only a matter of time before Leetle Burrow and that totally aggravating Mighty Mite Edwards-Helaire got going. And, that is exactly what happened.

I never had the feeling in ANY of the Bama games, even the Kelly Bryant game, that we were just completely outgunned. As a matter of fact, I say if you swap out Kelly Bryant for Deshaun Watson, Clemson wins that game that year EASILY. I don't think Bama will do anything that we haven't already seen from them this time around either, IF we get there to face them.

The only thing we know for sure, as history has proven it true too many times, sooner or later in a Bama game, we are going to blow a coverage and let them have a tight end running free. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Got to be 2019 LSU. I had the feeling, even early on, that

Dec 24, 2020, 9:21 AM

Definitely get what you're saying... I see I'm the only one in this thread that would pick Bama team this year. That's ok. But to your point against LSU, we were spent after the win with o4io st. Both physically and mentally. With last year's defense, it's a miracle we even played for the title... and one reason I still think Dabo's best coaching and win was o4Io last year.

Pretty big falloff of experience and talent from the ones and twos last year. We wore down in the 2nd half. CBV had a few weapons in Simmons and Terrell but other than Davis, who was spent by the LSU game, he just didn't have the depth and couldn't go with different looks like he can now. Or at least now with a healthy D.

If we'd had the power Rangers against LSU, would the outcome been different?

Dec 24, 2020, 9:20 AM

From what I have seen so far I would say that the 2019 LSU offense was better. Burrow almost relished being able to throw into tight coverage, once saying that if the defender wasn't looking, the receiver was open regardless of how tight the coverage was. Most of the highlights that I have seen has Jones hitting receivers without anyone in the picture. Maybe Jones can do it, but my guess is that he doesn't have the cockiness or mental toughness to excel when he is up against a good defense.

You didnt even mention LSUs best WR

Dec 24, 2020, 9:26 AM

Smith and Waddle might stack up with Jefferson and Chase, but Waddle is still out.

Najee Harris is better than CEH though. Both OLs are/were amazing.

I have to give the edge to LSU

Dec 24, 2020, 10:28 AM

I think this Bama team is very close though. Better running game, less dynamic QB

Dec 24, 2020, 11:04 AM

Imagine this years Tiger team if Ross was healthy, Ngata & Marshall where healthy. This team would be so much more dangerous.

If we had the defensive line from ‘18 last year we would have beat LSU. We were compensating for no depth in all our lineups. It gave Burrow plenty of time.

We are a much better defense this year with more depth.

LSU was much better for sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Interesting list of “X and O guys” there lol

Dec 24, 2020, 11:43 AM

Still not sure if that was sarcastic or not.

Re: Interesting list of “X and O guys” there lol

Dec 24, 2020, 2:30 PM

Can't speak for HillRock but wasn't sarcasm. Just listed several that seem to always respond to the x and o discussions HillRock posts from time to time. He/she generates some good topics.

Dec 24, 2020, 11:58 AM

I think all your points are spot on, except for taking Jefferson over Smith. Smith is much more of a game changer than Jefferson, IMO. Jamar Chase also helped Jefferson a bunch. But overall, IMO LSU was much more dialed in from the beginning and clicking on all cylinders. I think Bama has maybe that potential, bit it's not quite as effortless as LSU made it look.

Dec 24, 2020, 3:05 PM

Dahamp2003 said:

I think all your points are spot on, except for taking Jefferson over Smith. Smith is much more of a game changer than Jefferson, IMO. Jamar Chase also helped Jefferson a bunch. But overall, IMO LSU was much more dialed in from the beginning and clicking on all cylinders. I think Bama has maybe that potential, bit it's not quite as effortless as LSU made it look.

I give Jefferson a slight edge! Don't get me wrong - D. Smith is dynamic. But, Jefferson to me was a route runner extraordinaire and if you threw it in his vicinity he was going to catch it. It's not a huge gap at all. Jefferson was a bad dude in that offense; we are only seeing the Smith highlights. But, stroll some of Jeffersons stuff in 19.

Chase and Burrow ( sounds like a Law Firm )! For sure along with Jefferson and Moss just was a load! Joe Brady as it was pointed out was a very slick play caller as well! Just a perfect storm and why I give the edge to LSWho!

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic