Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tony Elliot hasn't come out and said...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Tony Elliot hasn't come out and said...

Jan 26, 2021, 2:07 AM

he wasn't interested or that he was happy where he was currently planted.

In the past, TE has always come out and said he was focused on his current task, happy where he was planted or not looking to make a change. He hasn't done that this time unless I missed it, but seems like he is keeping his options open right now.

TE might be seriously considering a change. I wonder if Dabo is looking for an Offensive change since he has also made comments in the past where he has said he didn't expect further change, or said he felt good about his staff going into the spring.

It's eerily quiet from the coaching staff. That would make me think there is possible change in near future?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tony Elliot hasn't come out and said...

Jan 26, 2021, 4:32 AM

I think the main difference here is that this is all happening AFTER the season. I suppose he COULD make a public statement about it on his own, but in years past, as far as I can remember, all speculation with TE has happened in-season, so reporters were asking the question during his media availability. In general, coaches don't have much media availability until closer to the spring, so there was never gonna be much news either way, until it happens or it doesn't.

Secondly, as much as I do believe TE will be a great HC somewhere, I personally feel like Tenn. is looking for a splash, hone-run hire. TE isn't really that, at least not compared to some of the other rumored names. We'll see, though...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe Coach Elliot will make a great HC, but if Vol

Jan 26, 2021, 8:29 AM

Nation is looking for the NFL/big name/splash hire, then Coach Elliot might have a rough time for the next 2-3 years. They are looking for superstar status and instant wins.

Their program might be comparable to FSU. It isn't going to happen overnight. I don't think Vol Nation has the patience that their program is going to require.

Jan 26, 2021, 5:50 AM

I saw something on here yesterday where Tennessee isn't interested in another OFFENSIVE( or DEFENSIVE) coordinator ,but rather a proven Head Coach.
Still, with the school under investigation, they may have to look to a proven coordinator.

Jan 26, 2021, 6:09 AM

Tony is in a no-win situation when it comes to commenting on any specific job.

He has said that he will probably one day be a head coach. He has said that the decision will be based on his wife and God. He has said he is very happy at Clemson and is not looking to leave but is open to being led by God to go elsewhere.

But, when it comes to a question about any specific job, he can't win. If he says, "Yes, I'm interested in Tennessee" people will think he's campaigning for the job. If he says, "No, I'm not interested in Tennessee" then whenever a job opens up he will be asked about that particular job. "Well, you told us you aren't interested in Tennessee. What about ___________ ? Are you interested in that job?"

One day, Tony will be hired as a HC. Until he is, his name will be rumored for at least a handful of jobs every year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2021, 8:00 AM

Agree Bret. And while it's clear to me Coach E will follow his faith, there has not been a rush of interest and dollars from any school in his pursuit. Clemson will continue to perform well, and Coach Elliott is a young 41. He will have chances over the next few years to select a school that really makes a push, and he and the family feels is the right fit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2021, 8:20 AM

Just taking an objective point of view. I will be very surprised if Elliot gets an offer from a large school for a HC position. Especially if there are equal or better candidates. The one thing that would be his trump card is his race if he is up against equal white candidates. Elliot is not an offensive genius that a lot here think he is. I think he is an average OC and play caller. The reality is that during Clemson's success he has had the 2 BEST quarterbacks in Clemson history, the best running back that I think was underutilized, some of the best WRs in Clemson history, one of the best OL classes Clemson has ever had and probably the best defense Clemson has ever had. All that talent tends to make a coaching staff look way better. I personally think that if anything they underachieved the years we didn't win the natty. I think in years like that when you lose with that kind of talent you either play better talent or you get outcoached. I think we got outcoached. The offense though shining at times has overall not looked nearly as good since Scott left.

Jan 26, 2021, 9:01 AM

How exactly has the offense not looked nearly as good since Scott left this past season? Our OL play was much worse than it had been the past few years, which isn't the fault of the OC. We lost a near 1st round pick at receiver in Higgins from the year before, and then lost Ross who was supposed to be our #1 receiver during the offseason. We then went basically the entire season without what was expected to be our #3 and #4 receivers(behind Ross and Rodgers).

So we played the majority of the season without 3 of our top 4 receivers, and were without our starting QB for 2 games, and we still averaged more points per game than we did last year, and according to you Elliott didn't do a good job without Scott?

As far as winning titles with elite talent, I'd counter that by saying the Alabama defenses we won titles against were filled with NFL talent. Did they even have any defensive starters from those years that weren't drafted into the NFL? Lawrence is an amazing talent, but putting up 44 points against Alabama with a true freshman at QB is an impressive feat regardless.

As far as not winning even more with the talent we've had, I'm not saying the offense has played perfect or anything in our last two playoff losses, but maybe our offense could've gotten into a better rhythm in those games had our defense not been bleeding points in both. Funny how I don't see anyone calling BV an average DC whenever we gave up 45 points against Bama in our loss in 2015, gave up 31 points against Bama in our win in 2016, gave up 42 points against LSU in our loss in 2019, gave up 47 points against ND in our loss in the regular season this past year, and gave up 49 points against Ohio State in our loss this year.

Jan 26, 2021, 9:09 AM

To add to my BV post, I also don't see people saying he isn't as good as people think he is due to all the talent he's had on defense. I don't have the draft numbers in front of me, but I'd guess we've probably had more players drafted from our defense over the past 5 years than we've had on offense. That includes some of the best talent we've ever had on defense including Wilkins, Lawrence, and Simmons.

I think BV is great btw, so the point of my post isn't to argue against that. I just think there's a double standard for whatever reason in how people want to discredit Elliott for having talent to work with on offense while also pointing our our performance in a few games, while not holding the same talent against BV while also ignoring our defensive performance in a few games.

Jan 26, 2021, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliot hasn't come out and said... ]

I didn't bring up Venebles because he wasn't the subject of the thread. As far as Elliot, I just have a spur in my saddle with his play calling. Sometimes it just plain sucks. I understand all of your points about key players being out and I agree to some extent about the effect it had. All that said I think this year the overriding issue was the OL. Had they been better it would have changed everything on offense. But you play with what you have.

Jan 26, 2021, 8:40 AM

I've been trying to not get too invested in this coaching carousel because I really think TE can do so much better than Tennessee.
However, just saw this comment in regards to Elliot on a Vawls board. This sums up their screwed up logic. I know it's just one fan on a message board, but I have heard this comment multiple times.

"Don’t want a Coordinator that’s been coaching Clemson blue chip athletes for 5 years and had it easy."

###

Having an opportunity to have your first HC job be at a big

Jan 26, 2021, 9:36 AM

school like Tennessee is pretty hard to turn down. If you could figure some way to turn that thing around you would be a legend. But there's a reason why it hasn't yet (which hopefully Elliot really does his investigative homework before saying Yes.)

I'm assuming its boosters/Athletic Admin/School Admin that is preventing or getting in the way of success. They need someone that has ballz to go in there and right the ship and ignore the idiots. Not sure if thats in Elliots DNA or not. The SEC East is always up for grabs. The West not-so-much. UGA can't ever take it and keep it, UF is usually shot out of a cannon one year and garbage the next, and then ..theres nobody else with a shot other than Tennessee that has a ton of potential.

Re: Having an opportunity to have your first HC job be at a big

Jan 26, 2021, 10:07 AM

Soft spoken OC as head coach at UT may fall behind Vandy

Jan 26, 2021, 10:25 AM

4paws81 said:

Soft spoken OC as head coach at UT may fall behind Vandy

Bingo

Jan 26, 2021, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Having an opportunity to have your first HC job be at a big ]

Whoever Tennessee hires will be a three and out. He will be there three years with limited scholarships, at least a two year bowl ban and recruiting restrictions for the coaching staff. This coach will be the sacrificial lamb to get them to the coach they really want to hire.
So he will be there three years and then fired to make room for the program saver.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:08 PM

That's exactly why I would think TE would not want the job. Thst said, if there were no NCAA sanctions looming, I believe TE would accept the job in a heartbeat. You would have a pretty good football school with a huge fanbase, lots of support and I think their hiring of Danny White as AD was a pretty good hire. While the sacntions will be imposed against the school and old coaching staff, I would hate for my first HC job to start off with those distractions added to the task of turning the program around.

Captalism***

Jan 26, 2021, 10:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic