Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To those blaming Tony Elliott, you're embarrassing yourselves.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

To those blaming Tony Elliott, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Nov 8, 2020, 9:13 AM

It's not Tony's fault ETN fumbled a perfect pitch. It's not Tony's fault Rodgers fumbled. It's not Tony's fault there was a hold call while trying to make ND burn their timeouts. It's not Tony's fault ETN ran out of bounds to stop the clock (there was only 23 seconds on the clock when ND scored). It's not Tony's fault we got a personal foul penalty that kept ND from being 20 yards behind the chains.
The injuries on defense showed up large. Our OL is not anywhere close to where it needs to be, in fact they're not good, but offense didn't lose this game. Hopefully these next two weeks can give some much needed time for guys to get healthy. Everything is still in front of us. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To those blaming Tony Elliott, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Nov 8, 2020, 9:17 AM

No, but it is his fault that he kept pushing obvious runs with Etienne when he had 9 carries for 6 yards at the half and a QB that threw for over 225 at the half and made almost every throw minus maybe two. Push. The. Ball. Down. The. Field.

He does it with Trevor too. Calling little pop passes and stuff. Step into throws and let them sling it down the field.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree the runs didnt work but you have to do some...

Nov 8, 2020, 10:11 AM

in order to keep guys honest. I think tbis was a game we really missed TL in the run game. I love DJ but hes a bit slow starting up, his 1st 3 steps are a snails pace. Lawrence can keep a defense honest real quick...DJ was never a threat...I know he's 250 but he aint really running over guys, thats not who he is...hes an elite pocket passer, not a rough tough combo guy.

Its easy to nitpick but we score 33 points on the road in regulation with 2 turnovers still on top of that. football coaching isnt as easy as it looks...this is isnt a video game on the JV level. Alot goes into the thought process.

I think the most credit goes to the ND safeties and LBers..they made plays in the run game but on the flip side I felt like some of it was they knew what was coming on certain downs and and hit on the gamble. Also, that was a ND defense with alot of quality guys who are nearly all Jr and Sr...we act like we played Syracuse yesterday.

Ill add to that...

Nov 8, 2020, 10:16 AM

we go on the road against a top 5 team and score 40 points (all by themselves btw..no help form defense) and have nearly 500 yds offense and its Elliott's fault? Thats expecting absolute perfection and shows how spoiled we are. We have just lost our 2nd game since TL stepped foot on campus and this one in 2 OT on the road against #4 with alot of injuries.

Offense didnt lose this game, sure there were things you'd like to see different but its petty to blame Elliott.

Re: Ill add to that...

Nov 8, 2020, 10:32 AM

Who cares how many points or yards we have when so many were left on the field because of the inability to adjust, which ultimately made us LOSE the game? Why would any of that matter?

Like I mentioned above...

Nov 9, 2020, 8:35 AM

perfection is rarely obtainable (GT game maybe?) and my point is we had a lot of success moving the ball ..yes we could have gotten more but we did very well considering. Yes we lost but this discussion is about Tony Elliott being a good coach or not.

My point is we had alot of success and if you are going to rag Elliott then rag on BV...his unit struggled all night (but did play well inside the redzone alot). We tend to give him a pass bc defense is harder to understand and not as obvious to complain about coverages and position as it is to question a playcall on offense.

Re: I agree the runs didnt work but you have to do some...

Nov 8, 2020, 10:28 AM [ in reply to I agree the runs didnt work but you have to do some... ]

You’re absolutely right. We do have to run the ball to keep the defense honest.

But doing it on nearly every first down was as predictable as it gets. He just would not switch it up, and that is asinine. The utter refusal to break tendencies was mind blowing.

Sure it’s not his fault ETN fumbled that pitch, but it is his fault that it was another first down run where the defense pinned their ears back and were in the backfield before Travis caught the ball. This making him take his eye off the ball because he was about to get blown up. At this time, we had run the ball on EVERY first down play. A play action pass instead probably would have been a chunk yardage play, or at least put them in position for a chunk play. So the coaches are equally to blame for that play.

If he switched it up and passed some on first and run on second, then going back to run on first and pass on second, there would not have been guys in the backfield on every run. Yes the o line is still terrible, but at least give them a chance coaches. Good grief.

And that last drive was 100% Dabo. I guarantee you he took the air out of the ball. Just run the offense and we win.

Nov 8, 2020, 11:33 AM

>"At this time, we had run the ball on EVERY first down play"

This isn't even close to being true. 4 passes and 4 runs on 1st down at that point.

Nov 9, 2020, 7:59 AM

I love the statements And generalizations that are just not true that people love to make.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I have watched the whole game again...

Nov 9, 2020, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: I agree the runs didnt work but you have to do some... ]

but even in the 1st quarter one of or first downs runs by Travis (did have extra blocker) went for 10-11 yds.

Nov 9, 2020, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: To those blaming Tony Elliott, you're embarrassing yourselves. ]

Ever stop to think that maybe one reason the pass worked so well was because ND focused so much on the run? In order to be able to take advantage of the pass you had to keep the threat of ETN breaking one of those runs for a long gain.

Had we lost this game with ETN getting less than 10 carries then people would be calling Elliott an idiot for not giving the ball to our best player more, and arguing that he would’ve eventually broken for a long run.

Nov 9, 2020, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: To those blaming Tony Elliott, you're embarrassing yourselves. ]

Too many first down run calls made for too many long 2 and 3 downs.

I don't think anyone is blaming Coach Elliott for the

Nov 8, 2020, 9:19 AM

players' mistakes.

Calling run plays against that defense all night long when it was obviously not working doesn't make sense. Elliott used to be a "take what the defense gives us" guy. He was not that guy last night.

I think that is what has people frustrated.

The loss sucks, but it was a good game from an entertainment perspective. Hopefully we get a rematch and a chance for revenge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree, I think this loss plays into our hands for a revenge

Nov 8, 2020, 9:23 AM

game. We will be healthy and hungry to redeem ourselves. ND is a good team and we were not at 80% strength. I was proud of the way our guys did play, we had second and third stringer players fighting hard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think anyone is blaming Coach Elliott for the

Nov 8, 2020, 9:27 AM [ in reply to I don't think anyone is blaming Coach Elliott for the ]

It's necessary to continue to run the ball during any game or your QB will get killed. But the problem is the obvious run up the middle with ETN every 1st down play.
If someone with as little coaching experience as I have can recognize that, you know a high paid DC sees it.

Nov 8, 2020, 9:25 AM

It was Elliot who called that play Ettiene went out of bounds on. Should have thrown something in the middle of the field on 1st down maybe run on 2nd to milk the clock and throw towards the middle again on 3rd down. I have no doubt DJ would have gotten the first down if the play calling was better.

Nov 9, 2020, 2:52 PM

If you think the OC is the one deciding whether to make a throw down the field in that situation or to play it conservative, and not the head coach then I truly question your football knowledge.

Nov 8, 2020, 9:27 AM

but he should have taken him out. icebucket®

Nov 8, 2020, 9:29 AM

It is Tony's fault to continue calling run plays that were not working... Then call them again... Then call them again... Then call them yet again. Then to get a lead, have 2:00 remaining on the clock with the opposing team with all their time outs... You need to get first downs... And what do you do? call it again... And then again. 34 yds on 33 carries. What in that tells a coordinator to call another run play that's been stuffed ask night against a very good run stopping line that was keying all night to stop the run game of both the RB and the QB?

Sorry if you can't admit play calling was a problem...but it was. And it's very apparent.

Nov 8, 2020, 11:48 AM

Situational play calling has been a problem for several years but we have been able to “out talent” the bad calls. It’s not every play but at key points he poops.

you can't talk to these people

Nov 8, 2020, 9:32 AM

they have no football experience other than watching or playing XBOX and they've been taught (by media) that a witch needs to be burned. Two more losses and they'll want to burn Dabo. Just the nature of weak-minded people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: you can't talk to these people

Nov 8, 2020, 9:41 AM

Interesting were can explain it, but you can't explain why not to, without trying to blame a defense that had several starters out before the game then lost several more during the game.

A coordinator that self admittedly tries to keep sticking to a run game that was not working when you have 2 minutes left, have to get first downs, and you choose to run behind the tackles twice to yet again gain no yards or lose yards deserves to take some of the blame. He was trying to play safe and run the clock, which you can't do when the opposing team has all their time outs. He poorly managed his play calling to force them to use the time outs while he made sure we continued at at least make the plays needed for first downs. Sorry, 34 yds in 33 carries is not the stats off a team that was successful running between the tackles in that whole game. Nothing about that says he should have still kept calling that instead of taking more up field chances. If you can't admit that, then you have a problem.

Re: you can't talk to these people

Nov 9, 2020, 7:43 AM [ in reply to you can't talk to these people ]

Well I played MLB in college so unless you played in the NFL your point is pretty much wrong. Must be something to just think everyone who disagrees with you is just ignorant. Please though, give us your resume there "coach".

Question for you.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:11 PM [ in reply to you can't talk to these people ]

How do you feel about the play calls on our fourth quarter possession when there were approximately 2 minutes left in the game?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 8, 2020, 9:37 AM

But it is Elliot's fault on game mismanagement at the end of the game. It's not like we don't have a pattern of this over the years. It's just we usually win despite Elliot poor play calling

Nov 8, 2020, 10:03 AM

You are an absolute idiot! Renew your gamecoot club membership.

Nov 8, 2020, 9:43 AM

But this game is on him. They couldn’t stop the throws downfield and we refused to throw the ball. It was evident at the half we weren’t running on ND. We needed to throw but refused to do it. That’s squarely on Elliott

Just don’t engage with them..

Nov 8, 2020, 10:30 AM

We are so freaking lucky to have him. He is one heck of a coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Nov 8, 2020, 11:10 AM

Save your breath, some on here don't even understand why he kept calling ETN number in the running game even though it wasn't working.

Tony called a helluva game and protected the young QB for as long as possible but the longer that game went on you knew what the results would be.....see them in Charlotte!!

Nov 8, 2020, 12:07 PM

Those first 2 play calls in the second OT were horrible. Also the last drive in regulation was a mess. That said he put it together in the second half and our D let us down.

Nov 8, 2020, 1:03 PM

Play call was fine. TE was wide open down the seam but the OL didn't give him time to make the throw. The OL broke down on the 2nd play as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2020, 12:14 PM

We needed to burn two minutes in regulation and did not. Two weeks in a row now. Those three plays were totally opposite of what had been were working. Elliott played not to lose.

Tony Elliott is one of the best play callers in the country.

Nov 8, 2020, 12:24 PM

Period.

Bunch of spoiled brats that can't take a loss is the only problem we have.

By the end of the game, we were without 8 starters on Offense and Defense, and missing a few others on 2nd string. We're having a rash of injuries like we haven't seen in a really long time. These things happen, but we'll be past it soon.

1) We'll get many (most) of the players back in the coming weeks and our skill & depth will improve.

2) We'll do a lot of work on basics in the coming week. Execution & fundamentals will improve and mistakes will be minimized.

3) We'll do a lot of self study and get away from tendencies the last 3 teams have picked up on.

We're gonna be a tough team to beat going forward, and should we get most all the starters back (and the 2nd string guys, I honestly don't think there is anyone that can come close.

The best is yet to come. Back away from the ledge.

Re: Tony Elliott is one of the best play callers in the country.

Nov 9, 2020, 7:49 AM

I don't understand this lack of nuance. Tony Elliot could be the best coordinator in the country, but that doesn't mean he's immune to criticism and is perfect. Come on dude think a little. Saban doing his fake field goal thing a few years ago was stupid but that doesn't mean saying it's stupid means you think he sucks. Some of yall worship at the altar of Clemson and you need to relax. The loss was a combination of things, one of which was Elliots play calling. You honestly think he called a perfect game? I guarantee you if you asked him even he would point to things he messed up. Because he's more honest than yall are.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:56 PM

Why does anyone expect someone to call a perfect game every weekend. Makes no sense. I think there are 3 events on Offense, but that alone didn't cost us the game.

ND took away the run game and we still found ways to put up 473 yards of offense and 40 points with a backup QB on the road against a Top 4 team.

Clemson has now scored 363 points this season, the program’s most points through the first eight games of a season in school history, surpassing its 353 in 2018.

However, when is the last time we gave up 47 points in a game? 2013.

If you want to criticize anything, then use some common sense:
- Criticize a fumble for a return
- Criticize a penalty here an there
- Criticize running out of bounds.
- Criticize being snake bit with injuries this year (and hope everything gets better from here on out).

The amount of blame landing on Tony Elliot is extremely disproportionate to the success we're having. Get guys back on Defense, and healthy and we're going to be just fine.

Nov 9, 2020, 3:01 PM

I really don't get this philosophy. What does overall success have to do with whether he made some bad calls in a single game that might have cost the game by their impact (or lack there of in this case)? So, just because Clemson "has been successful" for several years makes him immune to being capable of calling plays that shouldn't have been called? So overall success means we throw the blame on someone else, not him, if a run up the A-gap or run up the middle play was called with 2:00 still on the clock against a team that was stuffing the run all night long, a team that you ended up with 34 yards in 33 carries against?? Are you sure you don't have some "other" reason you don't like seeing the blame put toward him (the sole play caller) for his play calls??

Nov 9, 2020, 3:19 PM

My issue with blaming TE is that I highly doubt it was him that made the choice to play that last series conservative. That’s a head coach decision every single time. If Dabo told him to be aggressive then I’m sure the plays would’ve been different.

If Dabo told him to make sure we don’t turn it over in that situation, and let’s see if ETN can break one, and if he can’t then let’s at least make them use their timeouts and drive the whole field to beat us then that’s what TE is going to do. It’s not his fault that we got a holding call, and then our senior running back went out of bounds causing them to use only one timeout. It’s also not his fault that our secondary had a busted coverage and allowed a 53 yard pass just a few plays later.

Nov 9, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott is one of the best play callers in the country. ]

Also, the running game was nearly nonexistent, you won’t get an argument from me on that. However, can we stop trying to use the 34 yards on 33 carries stat as if TE called 33 running plays? 13 of those were runs by DJ. Sure, some of those were designed running plays including ones to pick up 3rd or 4th and inches. Some of those include sacks as well since college counts those as rushing attempts.
The last two runs before that by ETN had resulted in 16 yards and a touchdown.

Every Coordinator makes mistakes

Nov 9, 2020, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott is one of the best play callers in the country. ]

But Elliot did not make as many as people are making out, nor should he be fired as some have suggested.

Nov 8, 2020, 12:56 PM

Im sorry, but it is Elliots fault that we did not throw to the Tight Ends enough. That is always a key in a balanced offence. We have great tight ends,USE THEM... How many passes to tight ends that ND threw that ended up in first downs. Useing the tight ends fores linbackers to not crowd the line of scrimage making a running game a little easier. Elliots got to get it threw his thick skull that in a lot of games when you don't have a dominent O line that you pass first to open up the run game later. It is Elliots fault.

Nov 9, 2020, 3:06 PM

Our tight ends had 5 catches for 65 yards and 1 touchdown. Our 2nd play in the 2nd overtime was also designed to Allen who was wide open but DJ didn’t have enough time to throw to him.

The ND tight end had 5 catches for 67 yards so they used theirs pretty much the same amount as we did. It’s harder for us to use them much more in the passing game due to the need to use them as blockers.

Nov 8, 2020, 1:12 PM

That was not a perfect pitch. It was at his face and play calling with 2 to go was terrible.

Nov 8, 2020, 1:22 PM

Wrong. Etienne was looking up field before he secured the ball. The pitch was fine. He tried to do too much and made a mistake.

Stick to judging people with your ridiculous rhetoric.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:01 PM

Maybe Travis was looking at the blitzing DB. Maybe ND DC called the blitz because he knew we would run Travis on first down. Can’t really blame Amari or Putnam because he was there too quickly.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:05 PM

Way way too conservative on the last drive. They hadn’t been able to run the whole game. It’s obvious they were hoping that ETN would just pop a long run. You can’t keep putting pressure on the defense especially when so banged up. This time it didn’t work.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:21 PM

Not throwing or using the tight ends in LSU game also hurt us. WE have great personnel there. Why do we avoid them ???

Nov 9, 2020, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: To those blaming Tony Elliott, you're embarrassing yourselves. ]

First play was a run by DJ, and the 3rd was a short pass to ETN. We had only given up 3 points in the 2nd half. I have a hard time in blaming the coaches for thinking ND wouldn’t be able to put together a 92 yard touchdown drive with 1:48 to go.

Borrowing from the basketball boards here...

Nov 9, 2020, 12:15 PM

the coach is the one who recruited those players, coached them, and game planned for them. He is ultimately responsible for the results.

/thread

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

#1 team in the country ... play like it

Nov 9, 2020, 12:58 PM

Get a first down

Nov 9, 2020, 1:01 PM

Ice Bucket - we live in a post-embarrassment age. And people do not even use their real names in this age.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 3:59 PM

WE HAVE QUITE A FEW IDIOTIC WALMART FANS AND IT MAKES US LOOK REALLY BAD.

You're right, Target is a much better store.

Nov 9, 2020, 4:17 PM

Walmart is where Coots shop.

Nov 9, 2020, 5:11 PM

Hey bucketboy, GFY.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic