Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To anyone who says ND should not get in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

To anyone who says ND should not get in

Oct 15, 2018, 9:33 PM

At 12-0...... let me say, their worst and only non-P5 opponent is ball state. Every other game is a P5 team including 5 ACC games, B1G, and Pac12 games.

If you think that schedule at 12-0 isn’t worth it a playoff spot, but Clemson at 12-1 would be, just remember that we played Furman. There’s your free game right there meaning Clemson actually played 12 games.

Prove me wrong here......

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you should have to win your conference to get in***

Oct 15, 2018, 9:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in***

Oct 15, 2018, 9:39 PM

So if Clemson starts winning by an average of 35pts per game for the rest of the season and against a couple of ranked teams along the way and then Gets best by a Fieldgoal in the closing seconds of the ACCCG to Miami, Clemson doesn’t deserve to get in?

Oct 15, 2018, 9:42 PM

Nope Clemson shouldn’t get in if that happens. Also Syracuse will beat ND. Write it down, and tweet it. You heard it here first.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct.***

Oct 15, 2018, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Oct 15, 2018, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

The conference championship games are like a round of the playoffs. That’s why it was so disgusting the CFP let Bama skip over that with a first round bye.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

ND is being set up for embarassment!

Oct 15, 2018, 10:47 PM

They have not recruited and are not ready for the teams they will face in a playoff game, period. If they go 12-0 will they make it; probably. But should they; no. I don't think people are arguing the schedule so much as they are the fact ND doesn't participate in a championship game. The conferences all have members who make up the committee. Why oh why would they reward ND if another P5 conference champion is sitting there worthy of getting in? They might if they actually appear to be the 4th best team. But, they have not looked that way! They really haven't! Some of these close games against so called weak ACC teams(Pitt) will cost them particularly if they struggle with USC during their last game. They are a fraud at this point and will get steamrolled the same way they did the last time they made it to the National title game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama shouldn't have jumped Ohio State i

Oct 16, 2018, 6:46 AM [ in reply to Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

agree. Even though they won it all Ohio State should've been there. Now Kirk Herbstreit acted like a baby when they didn't make hence Ohio State and the big 10 is getting even more prominent than SEShe lately on ESPN for that reason but think about it a sec. Bama recently lost both coordinators to head coaching jobs and haven't missed a step. Something just seems odd about that kind of dominance. Plus this year they play NOBODY.

Re: Bama shouldn't have jumped Ohio State i

Oct 16, 2018, 7:11 PM

Why should Ohio State have been in? They had a 31-16 loss at home to Oklahoma, and a 55-24 loss to a 7-5 Iowa team. Even with those losses, they deserved to get in over Bama simply because going 7-1 in the Big 10 allowed them to still get into the playoffs, and going 7-1 in the SEC West did not? What about Georgia? They lost to the same Auburn team as Bama during the regular season, but being in the SEC East allowed them a rematch with Auburn that Alabama didn't get.

I do think winning your conference should matter, and if it's a toss up between two teams then certainly give the nod to the one who has the conference championship. However, last year wasn't a toss up between Bama and Ohio State. If Ohio State wanted to get in then they shouldn't have lost by 31 points to Iowa. If the Big 10 wanted a team in then Wisconsin should've beaten Ohio State because unbeaten Wisconsin was getting in ahead of Bama.

That's exactly right.. They absolutely got a first round bye***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

GO TIGERS!!

Oct 16, 2018, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

Not sure how letting Ohio State in above Alabama last year would've been better. So Ohio State was more deserving because one of their losses was OOC, and because they played in a division that allowed them to lose a game and still win it?

Basically the only difference in our(Clemson's) season the last 2 years, and that of Bama last season was the team we lost to in the regular season didn't just happen to be a team that went 7-1 in our own division. I think there's some poor logic to say we were more deserving in getting into the CFP losing to a 4-8 Syracuse than we would've been losing to a 10-2 Syracuse team that went 7-1 in the ACC and won our division.

Oct 15, 2018, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

If we lose to Miami, we don't deserve to get in over undefeated Notre Dame, but I would argue we should be in over any other 1 loss team.

There’s a reason why ND got humiliated the last time they played for a NC

Oct 16, 2018, 6:46 AM [ in reply to Re: I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

Just like there’s a reason that the BIG’s teams have been shut out the last two trips to the playoffs. As a general rule they’re not ready to play elite teams from the south. They don’t have the talent.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%.***

Oct 15, 2018, 9:51 PM [ in reply to I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Well, the playoff cmttee doesnt think so***

Oct 15, 2018, 11:00 PM [ in reply to I think you should have to win your conference to get in*** ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: To anyone who says ND should not get in

Oct 15, 2018, 9:37 PM

It’s the deadest of horses but you’re not accounting for the conference championship game(s). Until Notre Dame starts participating in those, everyone else gets another week to shine on television while they fade into the realm of non-relevance.

And after watching that Pitt game last week, there’s a darn good chance of them losing to both syracuse & USC before they’re forgotten, like every season, come December.

Oct 15, 2018, 9:41 PM

CUYankee, I couldn’t agree more. I also think they’ll lose at least one game before the season is over. I’m just curious about other folks on here raging about an undefeated ND getting in.

Oct 15, 2018, 9:45 PM

You got OSU 0-31 why would you want Norte Dame too. The difference is we play a division schedule where every team knows your team every year and under that Pressure you have to win the division and the conference Championship unless your Bama or OSU the year before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 16, 2018, 7:15 PM

So it's a disadvantage for teams on ND's schedule to not play ND every year and know them the way you'd know a conference opponent, but not a disadvantage for ND to also not know those teams from playing them every year?

Oct 15, 2018, 9:50 PM

I would have no problem with a 12-0 ND team getting in over a 12-1 Clemson. However, the way some of these so-called experts talk a 12-0 ND may get in over us even if we're 13-0 and that's complete BS.

Oct 15, 2018, 9:59 PM

Their are so many Old Norte Dame fans, they ought to give them the National Championship of the independents every year...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 16, 2018, 12:28 AM [ in reply to Re: To anyone who says ND should not get in ]

...if we finish 12-1 having lost the ACCCG (which is NOT going to happen...), and ND finishes 12-0 having played no CG (no win, no loss), then I can see ND getting in the CFP over Clemson - why, just because the "USofA" loves them some ND - Knute Rockne, the Gipper, the flying wedge, the forward pass, the whole history of college football that the mid-western teams have always dominated according to the old school, Ara Parseghian, Joe Montana, the NBC contract, and even "Rudy" and all the films celebrating ND football.... However, if we finish 13-0 as champions of the ACC, we're in - period. S#rew ND. And...

GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 15, 2018, 10:48 PM

I don't see the committee leaving out a 12 - 0 domer.

Oct 15, 2018, 10:56 PM

I have no problem with Notre Dame getting in at 12-0 but what scares me is a situation of where you might have two 12-1 SEC teams(say UGA doesn't lose again and then beats Bama in the SECCG).
Add to that an undefeated OSU, winning the BIG 10, and Clemson going 13-0 and winning the ACCCG.
That gives you "5" teams.
Most scenarios would leave out the "loser" of the SECCG, but Bama got in last year with one loss and didn't even play for the "conference championship".So why would you leave them out if they lost the SECCG "this" season?
Then there is Notre Dame. At 12-0, undefeated, but no conference championship "because they are not "made" to play in a conference". They call that "CLOUT", and what scares me is that "clout" gets them in over a Clemson team that was "perceived" to have played a weaker schedule by "The Committee".
Just saying. A situation like this puts the decision-making process in the hands of The Committee. And I don't think any of us knows what they may "decide" to do with a team that as a lot of"tradition" as The Irish do.

P.S.When you read this, please take into account the quotation marks("), which I purposely placed for emphasis.

Oct 16, 2018, 7:21 PM

That situation wouldn't be the same as last year at all. Bama got in last year because it was between a 1 loss Bama team, and a 2 loss Ohio State team. Not only had Ohio State lost twice, but their losses were by 15 points, and 31 points. The 31 point loss was to a 7-5 team. I don't understand how people continue to use that situation to say that a 2nd SEC team would get in over an unbeaten P5 team.

People keep forgetting that Bama was ranked #5 before the conference championship games with unbeaten Wisconsin at #4 with Ohio State ranked at #8. No way was Wisconsin falling behind Bama had they managed to beat Ohio State in the Big 10 title game.

I think it depends on who the other contenders are.

Oct 15, 2018, 10:57 PM

In the scenarios mentioned around here earlier this season, it was a hypothetical scenario where there are 4 undefeated conference champions and Notre Dame. In that scenario, I don't think they belong in the playoffs over four teams that won all of their games and have a conference championship.

Things get dicier with an undefeated Notre Dame and one-loss conference champions. The committee will have their work cut out for them on that one. How they weigh being undefeated in the regular season versus a team with a blemish but a conference championship will be interesting to see, if it happens.

I personally think it's a moot discussion, as I do not believe Notre Dame will go undefeated this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

IDK but ESPN FPI and Sagarin both don't think as much of

Oct 15, 2018, 11:11 PM

Oct 15, 2018, 11:24 PM

Notre dame isnt that good, they struggle moving the ball effectively, defense has really good coverage, but they have to bring in differnet players to get to thw qb, all the teams listed below would beat them 9/10 times
Alabama
Clemson
Osu
Georgia
Florida
Lsu
Oklahoma
Texas
Michigan
Pretty much every top 10 team not named ucf.
Id gladly take notre dame in the play offs to play clemson, wed have a cake walk to the natty game. Only 2 teams that matter are bama and clemson.
ohio state is a fluke waiting to be exposed and nearly eas last week until the 4th quarter.

Oct 16, 2018, 12:06 AM

You left Kentucky off of that list?? Why? Maybe an oversight.

BTW: UK beat UF in The Swamp by 11 and only lost to TAMU.Not sure Texas is consistent enough yet, but getting there quickly. I would add TAMU to the list too. Iowa, Iowa State, and Texas Tech are coming on strong too and could be on the list.

Good list though and probably very accurate. Bottom line: ND ain't that good, but their little leprechaun is helping them a lot.

Oct 16, 2018, 12:30 AM

Only reason i left kentucky off is ghe sole fact that the texas a&m game showed is once you take away the run. They can only really punt.
I did forget a hand full of teams i just rattled off who i felt would outright do it..
Im mot a huge texas fan but i think they could hang enough points on em to win. Notre dame just doesnt strike fear into me.
I dkmt see 12-0 at best 11-1 maybe 10-2. Idk if they can get double digit wins

Oct 16, 2018, 5:53 AM

Notre Dame plays Navy this week. Navy is not a P5 school.

Oct 16, 2018, 6:21 AM

One thing I'll bet. If ND doesn't get in the playoffs they will hurry to become a full fledged ACC member. Conference championships mean a lot.

Conference championships don't mean enough, though

Oct 16, 2018, 6:32 AM

A team got in each of the past two years, without one!

Oct 16, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: To anyone who says ND should not get in ]

Not so fast. I don't see ND eager to face Clemson on a regular basis. I think they are happy to continue to use the"independent card".

Oct 16, 2018, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: To anyone who says ND should not get in ]

no they won't they don't care about Championships they care about money and in that category they are winning... While Clemson struggles to cover the cost of going to the CFP...

They don't have to share any of their TV money with anyone...

Oct 16, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: To anyone who says ND should not get in ]

Good catch. You’re right, NAVY isn’t in the P5, although they should be. They’re better than GT at the option

Hey Tim. How’s retirement?***

Oct 16, 2018, 6:29 AM

ND and USCw have been over rated for over a decade.

Oct 16, 2018, 6:54 AM

They still are. Clemson, on the other hand, has ended the season ranked ahead of their preseason ranking every time in the last 8 years except one. Clemson has seeded in the playoff three straight years, made the final twice and won the NC once in the past three season.

Clemson is the only team in the country with the talent, skill development and coaches to compete year after year with Alabama which is enjoying a dynasty at this time. The playoff won't be complete without Clemson on the field.

There are the facts. You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND and USCw have been over rated for over a decade.

Oct 16, 2018, 6:59 AM

I heard an ESPN announcer say you just know Bama would rather play anyone than Clemson in the playoffs.

Oct 16, 2018, 6:58 PM

Losing Conference Championship Bye would make ND 12-1.

Oct 16, 2018, 7:09 PM

Kinda premature, are you assuming there are other undefeated or 1 loss conference champs? CFP committee hasn't exactly been clear on their criteria... they don't even follow their own rules wrt to conference championships... if ND is one of the 4 best teams they should get in, the committee should just come out and declare championships don't matter so schools can decide not to play them until the conferences pay them more for the investment...

last years payouts...

Notre Dame

Notre Dame receives $2.65 million as a base amount, regardless of whether the Fighting Irish play in a bowl associated with the College Football Playoff.

ACC

$54 million base payout (which includes $300,000 for each team which meets the NCAA's APR for participation in a post-season football game)

$6 million for Clemson's berth in the semifinals (then subtract the cots and not much left)

$27.5 million for Miami's berth in the Orange Bowl (payout based on contract average pursuant to a contract between the ACC and the Orange Bowl)

Total: $87.5 million

Big 12

$54 million base payout (which includes $300,000 for each team which meets the NCAA's APR for participation in a post-season football game)

$6 million for Oklahoma's berth in the semifinals

Total: $60 million

Big Ten

$4 million for Ohio State's berth in the Cotton Bowl

$4 million for Penn State's berth in the Fiesta Bowl

$27.5 million for Wisconsin's berth in the Orange Bowl (payout based on contract average pursuant to the Orange Bowl's contract, which places the highest ranked SEC, Big Ten or Notre Dame team which isn't in the playoff against the highest-ranked ACC team not in the playoff)

Total: $89.5 million
Pac-12

$4 million for USC's berth in the Cotton Bowl

$4 million for Washington's berth in the Fiesta Bowl

Total: $62 million

SEC

$6 million for Alabama's berth in seminfinals

$6 million for Georgia's berth in the semifinals

$4 million for Auburn's berth in the Peach Bowl

Total: $70 million

Note on the SEC's revenue distribution model: For bowl games with receipts of $4,000,000 – $5,999,999, the participating team retains $1.5 million, plus a travel allowance determined by SEC. For bowl games with receipts of $6 million or more (including all College Football Playoff games), the participating team receives $2.025 million, plus a travel allowance determined by the SEC. If an SEC team makes it to the championship game, it receives another $2.125 million, plus travel allowance.

American Athletic Conference

$4 million for UCF's berth in the Peach Bowl

Group of 5

$81.32 million collective pool

The so-called "Group of 5" (the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference) divide their pool each year pursuant to an agreement and formula devised by those conferences. Although that formula has not been formally disclosed to the public, reports have the majority shared equally, with a small portion set aside to be distributed based on performance.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic