Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on the Transfer Portal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,973

Thoughts on the Transfer Portal

Jan 5, 2021, 9:41 AM

I've been reading comments on here about the portal, and how Dabo needs to use it going forward. I know Dabo hasn't been a fan of it, but to my knowledge he's never said that he's 100% never going to use it. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

I know that all positions are involved in the portal, but for the higher ranked teams it seems that QB is the most likely position to both accept and lose a player to the portal. I could see where running back could be another position with largely talented guys going into the portal as well due to it and the QB position only allowing 1 player at the position on the field at a time in most cases.

We really haven't been in a position of needing a player at either of those positions since the transfer portal became a thing. The closet for us was the year Kelly Bryant was our starter, and I truly feel Dabo felt we could win with Bryant. I could also see where he wouldn't want to bring in a transfer that would be around for more than a year and risk losing out on Lawrence as a recruit that year.

You can certainly find help at other positions, but I don't think it's as likely to find elite talent at those positions with guys that are clearly more talented than what you have on the roster. I'm not saying those players don't exist, only that it isn't as likely to find a key player at other positions that you'd think would have a great chance to be an instant starter. I say instant starter because why would you bother to bring in an obvious backup like that, and why would that player want to transfer someone to be a backup?

I feel Dabo would consider the transfer portal under the right circumstance. Let's say for instance that DJU were to suffer a major injury this spring that would cause him to miss the 2021 season. Let's also say that Phommachanh had already entered the transfer portal and found a new team before then. We'd be left with a very talented roster capable of competing for another CFP birth, but left very thin at QB. I truly believe Dabo would look into the portal at that point and IF there was a QB in the portal that he'd consider to be a good fit for the team then I feel he'd use that.

I just find it silly that people are saying we lost to LSU last year that had Burrow as a transfer, and to Ohio State this year that had Fields and Serman as transfers as if us not using the portal caused us to lose. Were we going to find players better than Lawrence and ETN to use?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've used it some. QB transfer from Stanford. We also had

Jan 5, 2021, 9:45 AM

a DB transfer from VT. Can't remember their names.

I think Dabo will use it more for sure going forward because it is about to be mainstream with the no sitting out rule.

Re: We've used it some. QB transfer from Stanford. We also had

Jan 5, 2021, 11:50 AM

Caddie said:

a DB transfer from VT. Can't remember their names.

I think Dabo will use it more for sure going forward because it is about to be mainstream with the no sitting out rule.

David Olson... Jerrod Williams(Nuk's teammate @ Daniel)...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, for those who say it will "mess up our culture"...

Jan 5, 2021, 9:46 AM

If you think that our culture is so fragile that a couple of transfers will screw it up, then we don't have much of a culture. That's BS in my opinion.

Just like recruiting, you're not gonna take low character guys who don't fit the culture.

Re: Thoughts on the Transfer Portal

Jan 5, 2021, 10:19 AM

I have to agree with caddie. You'll see it used more and more. Pitt's done a good job using it this year. They've picked up a db and an olineman that are freshman transfers. They didn't get the recruit they wanted in those positions so they took the transfers. Has bumped their class into the top 20.

It seems like from what you used, you're limiting it to two positions. I don't see taking 1 year guys because it's hard to learn our system in a year. But definitely don't see any reason why we wouldn't take a high character guy that's a freshman or sophomore that understand our culture and best guy plays. It's worked well for mcmicheal at unc.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 10:26 AM

As I said yesterday, many of the transfers are transferring because of lack of playing time. That would not change at Clemson in most cases.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 11:41 AM

That’s an opinion and assumption based on absolutely nothing. That’s your emotions talking. There are plenty of four and five star guys in the portal.

You also seem to be forgetting that it’s not just how good a player is coming out of high school but how well he gets coached and developed.

Different schools run different systems. You have to play in a system that takes advantage of your talents. How many times have we seen a player suck at one NFL team and becoming all pro at another.

You don’t know much about football based on your analysis. Because there is no analysis you’re just posting your opinion because you don’t like the portal and you probably don’t like the portal because Dabo has told you it’s bad. But I bet as soon as he starts using it you’ll be in favor of it.

We have a starting safety That did not have a single power five scholarship offer. If we can take a guy that is basically a walk on and make him a productive starting safety what do you think we could do with a four or five star guy that didn’t do well at another school? Do you think our coaches can take a guy with that kind of talent and do more with it?

You make the assumption that they didn’t play at another school because they didn’t have enough talent. It could be that they just didn’t get along with the coach. It could be that they simply didn’t get the opportunity because of team politics. He could’ve been on a team where coach played upper classmen regardless of how much talent someone else had. He might’ve been at a school where the system didn’t fit his talents. Again there are many many reasons why a kid will transfer but to automatically assume it’s because he wasn’t Good enough to play is simplistic thinking and lacks any understanding of how college sports and athletics in general work.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:59 AM

Shaw Smith was a five star LB that transferred to Maryland with 2 years remaining eligibility. He performed about the same. Different team, different defense, but the one constant was him and what he didn’t accomplish on the field with either team in spite of being a 5 star redshirt sophomore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the Transfer Portal ]

Seems as the players' use of the portal becomes more frequent, you will see teams losing depth at certain positions that will require them to augment with someone. Waiting until the next recruiting class would place some teams at a decided disadvantage for the upcoming season. Unfortunately, 'plug-in' players are the wave of the future and you can fight it or embrace it. I hate that Dabo is resistant to the whole transfer philosophy. To me it seems clear that it will have to happen sooner or later.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:19 AM

The transfer portal seems to be about providing athletes with maximum options without penalty. That did not used to be the case. Changing your mind used to cost you a year of eligibility.

Dabo’s position is more in line with what I would consider to be the best traditions of NCAA athletic scholarship. I see Dabo’s position as being based on principle and it boils down to “my word is good”. It goes like this.
1. You will not be guaranteed playing time ever, you must earn it.
2. You must follow team rules, if you do not follow team rules then you will be subject to team discipline. No one is above the rules.
3. As long as you are following team rules, then your scholarship is safe. Once I have committed to you, then I am committed to you for 5 years, as long as you meet rule #2.
4. If you can not abide by this then you can transfer.

I am certain that a great many programs do not have rule #3.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:27 AM

Sure is a lot of emotions and feelings in there. Would you care to provide any facts? Any links in the statistical research? Do you have anything other than your thoughts and feelings to go on?

And using Trevor Lawrence and ETN as examples is pretty silly given the fact that these are two of the best players in college football history.

There is a TE from LSU in the portal that Clemson recruited heavily and he would be far better than any TE we currently have on campus.

There is talent at every position in the portal, but we only hear about quarterbacks running backs etc. because those are high profile positions that get all of the publicity. We hear about Trevor Lawrence all the time. How often do we talk about the offensive line other than we better get better because that has been our weakness under every coach since Danny Ford was fired.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:32 AM

Define “far better” and facts that support your assertion that he is better than anyone on our roster.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the Transfer Portal ]

I used Lawrence and ETN as examples because people keep throwing out there that Fields and Sermon were transfers. My point was that taking a transfer at either of those positions wouldn't have helped us any this past season.

I get that you can take transfers at other positions, and I'm sure there's some great talent at other positions from time to time. I just feel in general there will be more elite talent in the portal at the QB and RB positions due to it being easier to get buried on the depth chart at those positions. You're much more likely to find a QB like Fields in the portal than you are to find one of the best OL, receivers, DB, etc... in the portal is what I'm saying.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't possible to find gold at those positions, but the QB position is where we've really seen top teams like Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, and even Georgia benefit from the portal. It just seems that what you'll find at other positions are players like the two DL we had enter yesterday. Those are some very talented guys that some lesser talented teams than us are going to be thrilled to add, but I wouldn't expect teams like Bama or Ohio State to be gunning after them.

I think we'd be more likely to look at other positions in the portal due to having a position made way too thin due to unexpected departures, and injuries. We can certainly look after a season is over and speculate that we could've picked up an OL, DB, linebacker, or whatever, but that's with A)not knowing what options were available at those positions prior to the season, B)assuming any of those options would've truly been better than what we had, and C)having hindsight after the fact in knowing that perhaps come players didn't improve and develop throughout the season as the coaches may have expected.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:27 AM

Clemson has had a problem with O-line forever. If we can't develop our talent, then we can only do 3 things:
- recruit better
- hire someone who can develop that talent better
- go to the portal

It is not acceptable that we face teams that have better O-lines. How in the world can BC have one of the best O-lines in the country and Clemson can't?????

Jan 5, 2021, 11:43 AM

Every fan wants the monsters on the OL, of course. It’s probably the position we need the most in terms of progress ASAP, but I’m not sure it is fair to say it has been a problem forever. We don’t have the last 8 years to show for it if we were completely inept at that position.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the Transfer Portal ]

I don't know with BC and their OL, but would their OL truly look like one of the best in the country in big high profile games against teams like Ohio State and Alabama?

Has their line looked like one of the best in the country against Clemson over the past several years? They averaged 2 yards rushing per carry against us this season while giving up 4 sacks. Last year they averaged 2.2 yards per carry against us. In 2018 they had 0.3 yards rushing per carry against us. Is that really one of the best Olines in the country?

Jan 5, 2021, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the Transfer Portal ]

Perhaps. But BC has little else while Clemson is pretty much loaded every year.

Considering every player in 2020 just had an extra year

Jan 5, 2021, 11:37 AM

tacked onto their eligibility, and we are adding a full contingent in the 2021 class, I don't see where we have a ton of room for transfers at this point, or for the foreseeable future. Scholarship players are expensive, there's only so much playing and practice reps available, and we are more likely to have players stick around longer instead of transferring or leaving early for the NFL.

We are in need of a little more outflow at the moment that incoming it seems.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Thoughts on the Transfer Portal: The portal is like a

Jan 5, 2021, 12:25 PM

bad used car lot. While there may be some hidden gems, there are probably thirty lemons for every good car.

While there may be other reasons in play, the BY FAR reason most kids enter the portal is lack of playing time. This should set off alarms. Clemson recruits on a Top 5 National level. If a kid from another program was not good enough to earn significant playing time at THAT program, why should anyone believe he would be better than the Top 5 talent we already have here? In nearly all cases, the player entering the portal has already conceded that he is no longer confident enough in his own ability to win the competition for playing time at his position. Or, even worse, he is not willing to put in the work and wait for his time to shine as an upperclassman. I call this the "I, me, NOW" syndrome, and it definitely exists in life as well as in college football.

Now, of course there are exceptions to every rule. Everyone wants to point out Justin Fields and Joe Burrow as shining examples of success coming out of the transfer portal. And, they are. But, would you have sat Trevor Lawrence down in favor of either of them? I certainly would not. Those players had success at their second school because those schools had MISSED on recruiting that position in the first place.

The transfer portal certainly didn't plant LSU on the path of sustained success. Jury is still out on Ohio State after Fields.

Dabo will evaluate the landscape, and there may come a particular situation where he WILL take a player from the portal. But, I believe it would have to be a player we had heavily recruited, and the circumstances of his entering the portal would have to be something out of the norm. Because, otherwise, from a program perspective, he would be telling every player at that position that he missed on them, and is looking for a quick fix. To me, that alone would put a dent in recruiting.

I just do not believe in the grand scheme of things that it is worth it, except, as I said, in some bizarre extenuating circumstance beyond a players control. We shall see if such a thing exists going forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Thoughts on the Transfer Portal: The portal is like a

Jan 5, 2021, 12:30 PM

Well done 76er!

Jan 5, 2021, 5:38 PM

Why would we need it? We are recruiting great.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,973
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic