Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on running game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,461

Thoughts on running game

Dec 7, 2020, 1:04 PM

E-T-N is my favorite player on the Clemson team. But I have a question, why can Lynn-J, Chez and Darrian Rencher break big runs but ETN cannot. Is it the play of the offensive line? I am no expert on grading blocking but seems odd that ETN is the only back who did not break a long run.
Do defenses change the first play ETN is out or is it something else?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on running game

Dec 7, 2020, 1:06 PM

I'm no expert but I think defenses key on #9, when other backs are in there they play differently.

Dec 7, 2020, 1:13 PM

Mine is the TLDR version of this post.

Dec 7, 2020, 1:13 PM

On a play that looks like a run, are you going to choose to stop ETN or Trevor?

On a play that could be run or pass, would you choose to make sure you stop ETN or would you choose to drop everybody to make sure Powell or Amari don't get the ball?

On a definite pass play, are you going to cover Braden Galloway/Davis Allen or ETN?

I'm not sure what your choice would be, but every team we are playing is now choosing ETN (especially on 1st and 2nd down) as their focus in every single one of those situations after what they saw him do for the first 4 games of the season.

On the RPOs defenses are still crashing on ETN because there is a chance that the ball is incomplete with even decent coverage but once Travis gets 5 yards downfield it's probably all over.

The reason that the other backs are having more success with long runs is because of the eyes of the safeties. When ETN is on the field, they are constantly looking for him to get the ball. With the other backs, it seems safeties are drifting away from the middle more to help with WR.

The first 4 yards is on the OL but Travis getting stopped on his good runs at 8-10 vs hitting huge runs has everything to do with the attention he is getting vs the attention that everybody else is getting on early downs.

Part of the problem is your perception ... assuming you are

Dec 7, 2020, 1:55 PM

talking about Saturday against VT. ETN actually had runs of 15 and 13 yards, so he did get to that second level a couple of times. The other guys just happened to get the ball when we caught VT in a bad alignment or we just opened up a big hole. I don't see that anything was wrong with ETN. Besides, ETN is still averaging over 5 yards per carry behind this sad excuse for an offensive line, and he has the longest run from srimmage for the year by a wide margin at 72 (Rencher's 50 yarder Saturday is #2). ETN has not put up the gaudy numbers this year primarily because we have a Wake Forest level O-Line run blocking for him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 7, 2020, 2:14 PM

I could be wrong about this because its just hypothesizing.
I think ETN gets a majority of his runs through the RPO game which we have been told is tough for the line to run block for due to them not actually knowing what is going on behind them. I think a lot of the time, the backups are in when we are trying to bleed clock, and get straight runs called instead of option looks. Of course, I'm not saying this is every occasion, but could account for some of the production difference.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,461
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic