Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts about our conditioning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Thoughts about our conditioning

Nov 12, 2019, 4:06 PM

Watching the NC State game in the stands last weekend got me thinking about our health status. NC State was already decimated with injuries and it seemed that about every 4th play another State player was injured. Nobody really talks about our lack of injuries (because it may be a curse to say it out loud) but there must be a good reason and I think that there are several. 1st, Batson along with the conditioning and nutrition teams must be doing a very good job getting the guys in great shape. Much better than most teams. 2nd, many injuries happen when players get tired. The coaches do a great job of rotating the players even if it is not an ideal time. Even when it is very hot, few of our players go down with cramps. Again, a testament to the coaching staff. I look at teams like Georgia. They will ride their 1st string running back into the ground. Very few make it through an entire season. So, maybe we don't run up 70 points on every opponent that we should but our coaches have a long term strategy that has been very successful. Their vision of how to maintain the overall health has a lot to do with it along with building functional, game hardened depth. Just another reason to believe that Dabo and crew are the best in the business.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At one point during that game...

Nov 12, 2019, 4:10 PM

NC State had four players down at the same time. Clemson trainers had to tend to one of them because NC State's folks were tied-up with the other three.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: At one point during that game...

Nov 12, 2019, 4:14 PM

Trying to tackle Lawrence!

Nov 12, 2019, 4:19 PM [ in reply to At one point during that game... ]

The only thing that concerns me is that we have not had to play starters for 4 quarters except for
NC. In the playoff we will most likely be challenged for 4 quarters and I know against NC they drove down the field on the last drive. I think we will be ready just a tiny bit of concern Thoughts?

Nov 12, 2019, 4:35 PM

The good news is the playoffs are 3 weeks after the end of the season. Plenty of time to prepare for a 4QT game. Also Dabo has built depth that allows him to play 2nd string guys early in games to save legs. Last year we were not challenged for 4 quarters. If it happens it will play in our favor as they try to keep starters on the field the whole game.

null

Even better news is that our 2nd string guys have gotten plenty of reps

Nov 12, 2019, 7:10 PM

There may be a slight talent drop off but they won’t be in over their head. BV uses so many combos of guys that they don’t have to worry about wholesale substitutions. That’s why Dabo says we’re built for this. Our main guys are healthy and our backups are battle tested

My suggestion would be to rewatch the 2018 National Championship game.

Nov 12, 2019, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: At one point during that game... ]

Remember, Alabama was tired and we were not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good thing we had our laptops on the sidelines.

Nov 12, 2019, 4:22 PM [ in reply to At one point during that game... ]

Webmd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Thoughts about our conditioning

Nov 12, 2019, 4:15 PM

I was thinking the same way. Strength and Conditioning was never contrasted so much as Saturday night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Thoughts about our conditioning- yeah and they have had

Nov 12, 2019, 4:18 PM

lots of injuries all year. You do begin to think maybe they are missing out on something we do. We do generally have better players but injuries happen. So you wonder

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts about our conditioning- Rendrick Taylor

Nov 12, 2019, 4:22 PM

is on their S&C staff. So you'd think he might be plugged in on what we are doing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Batson? - how times have changed

Nov 12, 2019, 4:47 PM

used to be that Batson was always on the hot seat around here. What no one wanted to admit back then was that maybe it wasn't all his fault.

But then again there were a lot of people that wanted to get rid of Dabo. I'm just glad TDP had the guts to stick it out with both of them. If he hadn't, we might be a dumpster fire like FSU.

Nov 12, 2019, 4:51 PM

teekay 1, you have hit on something very important. Conditioning does prevent injuries, and I think we have the best conditioned team in CFB. Most coaches are too stupid to understand the importance of good conditioning. Both Bama and LSU were gassed the whole second half last Sat, and players were going down every few plays. Some were hurt, and others just wanted breathers.

The SEC is terrible about players falling because they are exhausted. A&M had 8 injury TOs in this year's game against us, and we had only 1.

FSU players have been in terrible playing shape the past two years, and that was a huge factor resulting in Taggart being run off. How many leads did they blow by being too tired to play in the second half?

I believe that injury timeouts are a good measure of conditioning. I've watched all of the replays closely from last year and this year. Last year, our opponents had 45 total injury timeouts, and we had only 10. This year the other teams have 26, and we have 11.

Over the past two years, the other teams have used 71 injury timeouts, and we have only had 21. I don't think even one of our players has laid down from fatigue.

Batson and his crew deserves a tremendous amount of credit, and Dabo is smart enough to understand the importance of good conditioning. He enhances that with liberal substitution.

Nov 12, 2019, 5:00 PM

All you need is your daily dose of Ostarine and you will be good as new again.....lol

Venables knows how to get a full game

Nov 12, 2019, 5:30 PM

from his starters. In a tough game, he will play the backups between the 20s or 30s and put in the starters for inside the 20s or 30s. That rotation is why we get reps for the backups during the early and middle part of the season - so we can get some time out of them in championship games and save the starter's energy. The result - particularly late in the game - against teams who play their starters for most of the game is that our starters are fresh and can outwork the opponent easily.

Our team is built for getting ahead early - or coming from behind late.... we can play either game with expectations of a favorable outcome.

Nov 12, 2019, 5:34 PM

Two points in addition to your own

1. Recovery - I think that Clemson monitors their players' physiology better than anyone else and they understand that if the body has not recovered from exertion then extra recovery time is essential. You don't get stronger from exercising. You get stronger when you are allowed to recover fully from that exercising. Nutrition obviously plays a major role here, too.

2. Stretching & flexibility - I think our coaches emphasize flexibility more than most. This helps prevent injuries.

I have noticed this too. Over the season, I've seen lots of

Nov 12, 2019, 6:56 PM

opponent bodies rolling around on the grass. Us? not so much. Either we have been really lucky, or we are really better conditioned, or both. Either way, I like it.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic