Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thought about former CU SID great - Bob Bradley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Thought about former CU SID great - Bob Bradley

Sep 21, 2019, 6:10 AM

Clemson's been blessed with some excellent SI/Commuications people & directors.

Had the pleasure of knowing long-time SID & SID Emeritus Bob Bradley. He entered Clemson in 1941, same year as my dad. Both interrupted their educations to serve in WWII. My dad came back to finish Clemson and teach there his entire career. Mr. Bradley returned to finish Clemson and began working there in 1953. By 1955, Bradley was hired by Coach Howard as SID. He held the position until 1989 - retired - but not really. As SID Emeritus, he continued working right up until his death in Oct 2000.

SIDs don't really retire at Clemson. Just ask recently retired SID Tim Bourret - a 40-year veteran of the department - hired by Mr. Bradley in 1978, who succeeded Bradley as SID and "retired" in 2018. Of course Tim's still around, doing broadcasts as he has for years.

Bob Bradley was one of the nicest, most professional & hardest working people in his chosen field. Bradley won every award that could be won & was inducted into numerous Halls of Fame; same for his successor Tim Bourret. It speaks volumes that to this day (out of his deep respect for the man), Tim always refers to his late boss/mentor as "Mr. Bradley."

While working for Clemson in the '90s & 2000s, I got to take plenty of road trips with the team, coaches & staff. A good opportunity to have interesting talks with Mr. Bradley & Tim Bourret, who were always happy to accommodate anyone.

Mr. Bradley's daughter, Dorma, was in my class all through school. When we were seniors in high school, 4 or 5 of us, including Dorma, formed a carpool to handle the school commute. When he was home, Mr. Bradley would give us a wave or "Hello!" - or walk over & chat for a minute.

Mr. Bradley's personality & work ethic were perfect for his job, and it helped that he loved it. Tim Bourret either learned that from Bradley or was born with the same traits - or both.

Between Bradley & Bourret & their overlapping careers, Clemson was well-served & well-respected across the nation for over 60 years - and still counting.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought about former CU SID great - Bob Bradley

Sep 21, 2019, 7:30 AM

when I was a t Clemson Mr Bradley, Coach Howard, and Banks McFadden were all around and I chatted with them on several occasions. To me those are icons of the school and I was really blessed to have those interactions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP, agree 110% since watched Bob dust off trophy case & load up team luggage in bus..

Sep 21, 2019, 9:33 AM

and Frank rake up dried grass clippings off a curb into a garbage bag & put in his car trunk, at age 72!

And, Bonnie Banks Mcfadden knelling down on one knee to shake hands with my then 9 year old Son, who then said he wanted to come to Clemson (and did 8 yrs later).

All these Gentlemen knew where they came from, remained humble & grateful and equally loved Lil Ole Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YeP, agree 110% since watched Bob dust off trophy case & load up team luggage in bus..

Sep 21, 2019, 10:14 AM

Well BiLl, you REALLY had me scratching my head trying to figure out who the ‘Frank’ person was that you mentioned!

In my 43 years as a Tiger man I don’t think I have ever heard anyone call COACH Howard solely by his ‘other’ first name . . .

(...but I s’pose if anyone could be allowed, it would be you! lol )

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Thought about former CU SID great - Bob Bradley

Sep 21, 2019, 10:27 AM

I was a student intern my senior year in The Athletic Department. I was all over and had the time of my life. Somehow, I always found myself around Mr. Bob. He called me “ Big’un” because I was a big boy back then. He always had a story, a joke and a kind word. Seeing his “command”, he would never purposely command, he just had the respect of everybody in the press box. He was in his element and when he decided to “retire” it was a seamless transition to Tim. I have such fond memories of those times! He and Mac(of Mac’s drive in) had a running gag going all the time! Great times. I know he, MAC, Coach Howard and many more are dancing to the Tiger Rag in heaven these days!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic