Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thomas Sumter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,477

Thomas Sumter

Jun 13, 2020, 5:24 AM

Is where the “Gamecock” moniker comes from. He was a slave owner. Wonder how long it will be before UofSC is forced to change the name of their mascot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One look at Cocky and they realize there’s no need to.***

Jun 13, 2020, 5:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thomas Sumter

Jun 13, 2020, 7:33 AM

"Sumter's Law" was passed which was to give every person who served in the military 10 months a slave. The slaves were to be confiscated from slave owners who sympathized with the British.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2020, 4:40 PM

Exactly. And the idiotic drivel on FGF about Tillman & Calhoun makes me laugh at them even more because of their ignorance of their own MASCOT’s origin. The ENTIRE school is represented by this.

Saw this discussed on their board the other day

Jun 13, 2020, 7:38 AM

Now the narrative is that the mascot came from the actual bird; if the slavery hysteria doesn’t get them, then PETA eventually will. We need an official statement on the mascot so we can get them painted as far into the corner as possible.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL ^^*

Jun 13, 2020, 7:52 AM

When I give up football I will miss this type of fun for sure!

Uhhh...NO...it absolutely did not.***

Jun 13, 2020, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Saw this discussed on their board the other day ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Saw this discussed on their board the other day

Jun 13, 2020, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Saw this discussed on their board the other day ]

I saw their revisionist history coming and got a few screenshots just in case they were needed. I really am tired of coots fanning the flames when they know they have big problems of their own.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 13, 2020, 8:56 AM

Chickens weren't slaves;they were more like Gladiators.

Jun 13, 2020, 4:33 PM

Pickens County was named after General Andrew Pickens. According to Clemson historian Rod Andrew, Pickens seemed to internally wrestle with that issue.

https://muse.jhu.edu/book/51208

https://www.clemson.edu/caah/departments/history/people/facultyBio.html?id=66

Jun 13, 2020, 4:37 PM

Weren't they originally a Panther ? Then for some inconceivable reasons known only to them they decided to shelf that for the chicken ?

Bad decisions define those losers .

DB23

Jun 13, 2020, 5:11 PM

I hope this NEVER happens because changing their mascot would be the first and most important thing they can do to take the fundamental step of rebuilding their entire football program.....they’ll never get past the “chicken in a skirt, behind a shower curtain” as a grand entrance to their home football games.

Jun 13, 2020, 5:17 PM

Let's not forget that the original buildings at UofSC were built by slaves.

"Slaves were essential to the daily operations of the antebellum institution, in addition to their role in shaping its built environment. Whether they were owned outright by the faculty or the college itself, or hired from private parties, slaves maintained campus buildings, cleaned student tenements and faculty duplexes, and prepared meals at the student dining commons, faculty residences, and the president’s house. Slaves lived and worked in now-forgotten outbuildings located behind the buildings of the present-day Horseshoe."

https://delphi.tcl.sc.edu/library/digital/slaveryscc/index.html

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Capons***

Jun 13, 2020, 5:27 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,477
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic