Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is not an anti KB post. (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

This is not an anti KB post. (long)

Jan 2, 2018, 2:40 PM

Very few at the beginning of year though that KB would be our starter and even fewer wanted him to be. As the offense had its ups and downs, there was a constant stream of T-net coaching advice on replacing KB with, most often, Hunter Johnson. There were flashes of brilliance and of not being ready in limited duty for HJ this year. What became clear as the season progressed, IMHO was that KB was the correct choice to lead the offense this season. So, the offensive coaching staff built an offense around KB's strengths. What was also apparent is the offense was limited this season by KB's weaknesses. He is inconsistent as a passer. That is a simple fact. He can be brilliant at times making touch throws that are almost unbelievable Then he can miss throws I bleieve I could make.

Last night we needed an offense that could do more than one thing. We didn't have it. No, I do not lay all the blame on KB. We were consistently put in hoorible field position. The offensive line was consitently out schemed, and out palyed. Deon Cain was a particular disappointment. Dropped throws and failure to win the fifty-fifty balls have palgued him all season. So there was enough blame to go around.

That being said if we are going to get back to being a playoff winning team, we have to be multi-dimensional. IMHO KB cannot take us there. Spring camp needs to start with a wide-open QB competition.

I know Trevor Lawerence has never taken a college snap, even in practice. But the accolades this kid brings to campus are amazing. He broke high school records of a guy named Deshaun Watson. Trent Dilfer says from a talent standpoint he's better than fifteen NFL quarterbacks. We will liklely not see another talent like him again. We can't afford to not get this guy on the field.

KB's NFL future, if he has one is not at quarterback. He is a pheonomenal athlete that I am proud is a tiger. He has the frame to put on NFL tight end weight and he knows the playbook. He already has safety size. I don't want to shelve KB. I want to have him on the field making us a better team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is not an anti KB post. (long)

Jan 2, 2018, 2:48 PM

We did not have that go to guy at WR this year. Renfrow is great but he is not Mike Williams or Nuk.
Tee will be the man next year I believe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 3:22 PM

It wouldn’t have mattered. We need an effective, efficient passer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Wow! You wanna be QB gurus just kill me!

Jan 2, 2018, 2:54 PM

Name another college QB who’s not inconsistent with his passing? Give KB2 Mike Williams at the 9 position and he completes twice as many deep balls.

The only thing I dread going into next season is a million more post like yours.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow! You wanna be QB gurus just kill me!

Jan 2, 2018, 3:28 PM

come on man, have you even watched any of the games this season. as the dude said, KB hit some nice passes, but missed so many easy throws fans could maybe make. watching all season, he left the pocket way too early if his first read wasn't there and took off running, often for a small gain. on third downs, he'd run backward on the blitz and throw the ball away instead of throwing to the open man downfield. I honestly believe he was too caught up in keeping his QBR high by not throwing 50/50 balls because he didn't want to throw interceptions. he just doesn't have the pocket presence and intangibles to lead us to a championship. I have nothing against him, but that is the truth

Jan 2, 2018, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Wow! You wanna be QB gurus just kill me! ]

It is his opinion, one that many share. Sorry you don’t agree. IMO, he is right and you are simply wrong. Perhaps KB would have completed more deep passes with a M Williams due simple to his ability to bring down the 50/50 balls. However, M Williams would not correct all the incompletions due to under thrown balls that were easy completions because the DB was beat but the receiver had to stop and wait on the ball giving the DB a chance to catch up and deflect it. It also would not correct all the walk in TDs that were lost on the under thrown balls that were completed but again because the receiver had to slow down or stop and wait on the ball the DB was able to catch up and make the tackle.

Jan 2, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Wow! You wanna be QB gurus just kill me! ]

Oh come on, he was offering his opinion, and it's hard to disagree with any of what he said. He was highly complimentary of KB but facts are facts

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree on most of your points.......

Jan 2, 2018, 3:05 PM

I think TL or "backup QB X" has to have an unbelievable spring and fall camp combined with KB2 having a less than stellar spring/fall camp for KB2 to be "unseated" as the starter.......based on loyalty tendencies that the coaching staff has.

I also think we can field a team with KB2 that can beat ANY team in the country next year........EXCEPT bama. The one major thing you need to beat bama is a good passing PASS FIRST dual threat QB.............i haven't looked it up but it's probably difficult to find a RUN first dual threat QB (that's an avg to below avg passer) that has beaten bama in the saban era.

the QB "battle" will be intriguing to watch, but i'll be surprised if the coaches place KB2 on backup duty next season (barring injury)

It Is an Anti KB Thread..but a fair assessment...

Jan 2, 2018, 3:07 PM

That's OK...I agree with most of your points...You just didn't want to get flamed

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

If anti KB means I want A. What is best for Clemson first.

Jan 2, 2018, 3:16 PM

B. What gets KB into a position where he has a legitimate shot to play in the NFL. Then, so be it. As far as getting flamed. I can take it.

You comments were fair...KB isn't the future..

Jan 2, 2018, 3:27 PM

Like Cole Stoudt, our entire program is good for an average guy to come in an win 10-11 games..But KB will never be able to put the team on his shoulders and carry the team to victory in Crunch time.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Jan 2, 2018, 3:20 PM

He’s tall and fast. Put him in Cain’s spot. Bet kB would catch the ball

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 2, 2018, 3:22 PM

I agree. I’ve said it in other posts. While the loss hurts, I am pleased with the overall season results because we wernt supposed to be there. That said, KB simply isn’t an elite level QB. He is a very good running QB, but that will not beat a Bama unless we have a truly elite OL. We do not have that nor will we have it next year. Last night Bama dared Bryant to beat them with his arm and he couldn’t. He won’t next year either nor will he play at the next level as a QB. As you stated however, he is simply to gifted of an athlete to not have on the field somewhere helping us win.

I don’t know if TL is the answer next year or not. I certainly hope it isn’t another KB gives us the best chance to win year because he may win against the majority of teams we face but he will not against a Bama type team that dares us to win by passing and has the D to actually stop the run. IMO, that should be the goal every single year, field a team that has the capability to beat a Bama. Do that and field a team that plays a style of play that has the best shot to beat a Bama and everything else will fall in line. As long as Sabin is there, they will always be an obstacle to overcome for a NC and it is looking like Smart will have UGA in the same category soon.

Bama has stopped our run game each of the 3 years we faced them, the only difference was we had an elite passing QB for two of them. Even with Watson’s ability to keep the D honest and connect on passes that torched them, they still contained our run game. That will not change until we get recruits to build an elite O line. That is why I said all year, we needed to make the decision that our 5* #2 rated QB would be the starter this year and get him ready to play starting game 1. IMO, had that been done based on everthing else this year, we would at worst still have only one loss, won the ACC, and made the CFP. The difference would have been that in the CFP we would have had an experienced QB with the arm to make Bama pay for stacking the box as much as they did. Would we have won? I don’t know but I firmly believe we would have stood a better chance.

Accurate Assessment

Jan 2, 2018, 3:34 PM

KB had Really big shoes to fill and high expectations. If that is fair or unfair I think is a waist of time to debate. The QB competition will no doubt be wide open this spring if for no other reason because we did not have exceptional play at the position and there is much room for improvement in that category. For anyone who wants to call out tnetters as "QB Gurus" for stating the obvious then what is also obvious is that you just need to get your panties out of a wad. And another thing you said that was spot on was that "if" KB has a desire to play at the next level, he should seriously consider calling DW and asking for Braxton Miller's phone number. Real is real

So you don't think TL will redshirt?

Jan 2, 2018, 4:00 PM

Of course we won't keep him off the field. From there our coaching staff will do what's best for our program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic