Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coastal Division Breakdown: Prepare to Think
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Coastal Division Breakdown: Prepare to Think

Nov 22, 2019, 10:15 AM

It's the most up-for-grabs division in the NCAA and the status of division champ is apparently a hot potato nobody wants. It WILL NOT be decided until the very end of the regular season. Again, I think. Who cares.

Let's try and figure this thing out. If you get a headache, you're not alone.

Pull up the current standings with me and follow up along:

ACC Records
UVA: 5-2
Pitt: 4-2
VT: 4-2
Miami: 4-3

These are the teams that could finish at best/worst tied with each other in conference record. Yep. This late. Four teams. Yes, it's possible.

They all each play three games against the others, since they're obviously in the same division. Let's look at those results so far:

UVA: 1-1 Beat Pitt, lost to Miami
Pitt: 0-2 Lost to Miami and UVA
VT: 1-0 Beat Miami
Miami: 2-1 Beat Pitt and UVA, lost to VT

Still to play: Pitt @ VT VT @ UVA Miami @ Duke, BC @ Pitt

So a lot can happen here. Let's painfully examine each scenario:

UVA
How they can win: Beat VT, they win. That simple; they wouldn't need help. They could tie with Pitt at 6-2 but UVA holds the tiebreaker.

Pitt
How they can win: Beat VT and BC, VT beats UVA. They would be the only 6-2 team.

VT:
How they can win: Beat Pitt and UVA, they win. No help needed. OR they win the Four Way Tie (see below).

Miami:
How they can win: They can't. Only team here that's actually eliminated, but they could come in second place in the Four Way Tie (see below), OR they could absolutely ruin everything (again, see below).

Here's the Four Way Tie:

Pitt beats VT. VT beats UVA. Miami beats Duke. BC beats Pitt.

That would make the standings as follows:

UVA: 5-3
Pitt: 5-3
VT: 5-3
Miami: 5-3

A four way tie. Welcome to the Coastal.

So to determine a champ, we have to revisit what their records would be in their three games against each other:

UVA: 1-2
Pitt: 1-2
VT: 2-1
Miami: 2-1

So by my logic it comes down to VT and Miami since they're 2-1 in tiebreaker games. VT has already beaten Miami, so they would win the division.

BUT. HOLD THE PHONE.

As @MojoRisin stated, Miami can absolutely ruin EVERYTHING by losing to Duke. Then the four-way tie becomes a three way tie, and you're only comparing two games instead of three, and those records would be:

UVA: 1-1
Pitt: 1-1
VT: 1-1

Where all three teams beat one of the others and lose to the other one. There are no conference game tiebreakers because they all beat each other. I guess you'd go by overall record there, in which case we'll assume UVA beats Liberty, and it would look like:

UVA: 8-4
Pitt: 8-4
VT: 8-4

So. That did not help much. Freaking Coastal, man. Can't take them anywhere.

Message was edited by: homeslice1479®

Message was edited by: homeslice1479®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coastal Division Breakdown: Prepare to Think

Nov 22, 2019, 10:26 AM

In a tie, you still get a trophy for winning the division. Winner of the tiebreaker goes to the champ game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 10:26 AM

Good stuff, thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 10:29 AM

Actually I think Miami could win it.

I think in the choas scenario with the 4 team tiebreaker, the first tiebreaker is the record against the tied teams. Miami is 2-1. UVA would be 1-2, Tech would be 2-1, and Pitt would be 2-1. Elimiated UVA. Thus you start over. The remaining reams would all be 1-1 again. Then it would be against division foes. Pitt is 4-2, Miami 4-2, and Vt would be 4-2 (ironic that two lost to BC - but Miami did not play them). Same so now it is winning % vs non-division opponents and VT is 1-1, Pitt is 1-1 and Miami is 2-0

Nov 22, 2019, 10:41 AM

Nevermind, Pitt is 1-2

Lol it's hard to keep it all straight, right?!***

Nov 22, 2019, 10:45 AM

One more scenario?

Nov 22, 2019, 1:45 PM

If you really want to have fun, and I won't spoil it for you, I think there's one scenario that you left out:

VT over UVA
Pitt over VT
BC over Pitt
Duke over Miami

That leaves a three-team tie, which is nastier than the four-team tie.

Try that one out, and you'll need a sheet of paper. They'd be 1-1 against each other (because UVA already beat Pitt), and they'd be 4-2 in the Coastal. So it would be about who beat the highest-ranked team in the division as a tie-breaker.

But...the battle for 4th could come down to its own tie (and probably will). Maybe among multiple teams. God bless the Coastal. The one spoiler: Duke vs Wake could have ACC Coastal implications (it would help determine the Coastal's #4 team, and thus who falls out of the three-way tiebreaker).

Wow, you're absolutely right

Nov 22, 2019, 2:01 PM

I didn't think Duke beating Miami would change things that much. Your scenario is my Chaos scenario but with Miami losing, so since they're completely out you're comparing two game records instead of three, and like you said they'd all be 1-1. Dang, that's so much worse lol. I'll edit the post and credit you!

Re: One more scenario?

Nov 22, 2019, 2:45 PM [ in reply to One more scenario? ]

UVA is already 5-2 and could only be 5-3 with a loss. Your scenario has no other team getting 5 conference wins, so UVA wins anyway.

Nov 22, 2019, 8:57 PM

OL: VT and Pitt are both 4-2 right now, so if VT beats UVA and loses to Pitt, and Pitt loses to BC (after beating VT), then they'd all be 5-3.

Miami would be 4-4. Duke could get to 4-4 too. UNC needs to beat NCSU to get to 4-4.

Nov 23, 2019, 7:21 AM

^^^Chuckle - you are so right. That's what is great about t-net. I was only looking at the Coastal as to what it would take to win for each remaining contender, but did not see how they could manage to totally screw it up in their race. You and Homeslice think a lot deeper than I do. :)

Only the Coastal could do this. Well, the Big 10 has a possible chance too, but unlikely.

It's almost like they do this on purpose, right!?*****

Nov 23, 2019, 9:09 AM

They should just put together an all-star

Nov 22, 2019, 1:50 PM

and only lose by 20

problem solved

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Homeslice, very informative***

Nov 22, 2019, 3:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Thanks Homeslice, very informative***

Nov 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

Soooo, none of them are trying to win so they want have to play the Tigers. Sounds reasonable.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 3:40 PM

Nov 22, 2019, 10:29 PM

I hope UVA wins it, the only team we haven’t played in the ACCCG.
Let them see what a real football team looks like

I think I will wait to think about this until

Nov 22, 2019, 10:39 PM

next Saturday

There is a better than avg chance the Coastal will produce a

Nov 23, 2019, 6:12 AM

9 win team that is ranked.

I think it is great the division may come down to the last week of the season. That's what college football is all about!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a better than avg chance the Coastal will produce a

Nov 23, 2019, 6:23 AM

The way VT has been playing lately I fully expect them to handle business and come in to the ACCCG ranked.

Re: There is a better than avg chance the Coastal will produce a

Nov 23, 2019, 9:58 AM

This.

I had hoped UVa could have stepped up to 'almost bigboy' status this year, but i can't see them taking down VaTech right now.

Which is fine in the long run. Perkins is a fine QB, but such a one-dimensional offense would get destroyed by BV's defense.

If we're going to get any kind of challenge in the ACCCG to prepare us for the CFP run, it will have to come from VT playing at their best.

Uhhh... what?

Nov 23, 2019, 7:03 AM

~JKB

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic