Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The reason we must run screens
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

The reason we must run screens

Oct 11, 2018, 6:58 AM

For the people who think we should either run or just sling it down field, The offensive line does not pass protect well enough to do this multiple times on a drive so if we can get a first down or 2 just letting the wide receiver work on a screen it makes perfect sense. Like Justyn Ross last game. He got sick shorts when nothing was there. That keeps drive going

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Whatever we're doing... it's working.***

Oct 11, 2018, 7:21 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

it is also a tiring play for DL and LB’s. Pays off later in games.***

Oct 11, 2018, 7:24 AM

Good analysis, but...

Oct 11, 2018, 7:34 AM

There's more than one type of screen. We typically run two... one is the quick screen to the WR standing behind one (sometimes two) blocker. Though we break it for a big gain maybe once a year, it usually gets from -2 to 4 yards. It is also a high risk play (KB's interception earlier). I keep thinking they're going to fake it and run a hitch and go down the field, but so far... The second type is when you run the receiver off the formation toward the blockers (sometimes motion, sometimes just an out route) and get him the ball early while he has time to adjust to what the defense is doing. This seems to work better, but we only run it maybe once per game compared to 5 or more of the first type.

There's also a lot to be said for some quick outs, 5-yard hooks, and quick slants to the slot receiver or tight end, but for whatever reason, we don't seem to run those.

One thing is certain-- running the "empty backfield" is going to get TL killed unless the OL improves a lot in pass blocking.

At any rate, Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good analysis, but...

Oct 11, 2018, 11:39 AM

Some of those long runs in the Wake game were made in formations where we were set up for the quick screen to the outside WR.

It's part of the reason there was no DB in the picture during the runs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The reason we must run screens

Oct 11, 2018, 7:40 AM

Lol at sick shorts haha I meant six yards. Freakin voice recognition

LOL...Clarification appreciated. I was thinking,

Oct 11, 2018, 8:26 AM

"sick shorts." Did he poop his pants?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL...Clarification appreciated. I was thinking,

Oct 11, 2018, 8:27 AM

Lmao

Oct 11, 2018, 8:48 AM

How can we improve our poor pass protections ? Would throwing fewer touchdown passes be any help ?
TL has played approximately 2.5 games as our starter and has 11 TDs to 3 Ints . That is pretty solid looking to me .
Seems like if our pass pro was so bad we'd see a more upside down INT to TD ratio .

I am on board with TL having to work on getting the ball off quicker , but I can't put stuff like that on the OL not doing a good job .
Just my .02

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 11, 2018, 9:13 AM

It’s a bit of both. TL has held onto the ball a couple times.
The numbers are really good but they can be even better. There’s too many OL breakdowns for the Clemson standard. If they could improve in that area then we become the team to beat I feel. The run blocking is phenomenal.

Re: The reason we must run screens***

Oct 11, 2018, 9:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

They are one of the best OL in the nation for RB run plays

Oct 11, 2018, 9:42 AM

and seemingly one of the worst for anything related to the QB.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic