Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So do we ignore crazy left-wing and right-wing individuals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 990

So do we ignore crazy left-wing and right-wing individuals

Feb 23, 2021, 9:29 AM

(or small groups) who advocate for crazy things like "Remove Washington's statue" or "determine your degree of whiteness" or "Hillary is running a child #### ring"?

I think when folks start talking about these fringe ideas - it gives them legitimacy in more peoples minds.

I think that's how we wound up with people tearing down statues they didn't like last summer and people rioting in the Capitol this winter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So do we ignore crazy left-wing and right-wing individuals

Feb 23, 2021, 10:18 AM

My first reaction is yes, we should. Or at least ridicule. The more attention they get, the more ground they gain.

But it also gets to a point where they become too numerous, influential, and harmful, so they must be addressed and dealt with. Even if we try to ignore them, they have plenty of platforms to spread their message.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Yeah - social media would have to be shut down to make it

Feb 23, 2021, 10:41 AM

happen. People love to take sides and get mad about stuff though...

I was stupid and spent some time debunking dumb stuff my FB friends posted (left and right). Some people said - "Thanks for pointing that out"...but mostly they just got madder.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah - social media would have to be shut down to make it

Feb 23, 2021, 11:31 AM

I think these theories that are detached from reality have to be challenged - with evidence (or the lack thereof) and without emotion.

Joey, I get that it can be exhausting - and be met with more emotion and denial - but to just let that kind of stuff go breeds its growth. I think the key is to prove (or ask for) evidence and to point out logical fallacies. Emotion must be accounted for but removed from the process.

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” John Stuart Mill

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's incredible how...

Feb 23, 2021, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Yeah - social media would have to be shut down to make it ]

The human brain for most people is wired to get defensive and angry when someone points out they are wrong. It actually takes some coaching and work to overcome that.

Look how angry some of them got yesterday when I debunked the Coke myth (not counting you in this; we had a productive discussion). Rather than dig a little deeper, they got angry and/or insulting and/or dug deeper into their false beliefs.

You see the same with anti-vaxxers. Actually pointing out facts to them and debunking them makes them latch onto their beliefs more. That's why it's so hard to rip adults from falsities, and why providing strong education with critical thinking skills and good analysis skills is so crucial for young people.

I know this clown who is insistent that Deshaun Watson is a mediocre NFL quarterback. When I provide more statistics to prove him wrong, he digs in deeper with his belief then starts insulting Clemson. If the conversation comes up again later, he repeats the same factually incorrect statements as before.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: It's incredible how...

Feb 23, 2021, 3:10 PM

Taking criticism well and giving criticism well is a very useful tool for growth.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are one of them, so this is funny***

Feb 23, 2021, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: So do we ignore crazy left-wing and right-wing individuals ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Says the guy...

Feb 23, 2021, 2:08 PM

Who believes in QAnon and cheered on the storming of the Capitol building.

Yeah. You're definitely a level-headed centrist.

Re: you are one of them, so this is funny***

Feb 23, 2021, 2:38 PM [ in reply to you are one of them, so this is funny*** ]

Manac

Not everyone that disagree with me is a bad person. In fact, most of them are not.

The fact that your mind is incapable of considering ideas contrary to your own does not change that fact.

The problem is those formerly fringe groups are

Feb 23, 2021, 10:24 AM

becoming a larger part of both sides. A large percentage of republicans believe the conspiracy theories of the “Deep State,” the election was a fraud, Covid is a hoax, etc. While I think Democrats are less on the conspiracy theory train, a large percentage of their base support wildly unrealistic and impractical ideas like forgive all student loans, college should be free, an immediate wholesale switch to green energy, unhealthy levels of immigration, etc.

I wish both parties would come back to the middle. Don’t have a solution, but I hate to see both parties moving further into nut job land.

Right. If "the election was stolen" is a conspiracy theory,

Feb 23, 2021, 11:14 AM

and "America is a white patriarchy" is not, we're not getting anywhere.

So slavery, segregation, etc. were conspiracy theory?***

Feb 23, 2021, 1:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1984, man. 1984.***

Feb 23, 2021, 3:23 PM

Pray tell, how is America not a white patriarchy?

Feb 23, 2021, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Right. If "the election was stolen" is a conspiracy theory, ]

When did it stop being run by white men?

A few decades ago?

Feb 23, 2021, 2:57 PM

We've got all sorts of make and models in congress and government at large now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we are talking just strictly government

Feb 23, 2021, 3:16 PM

And not also who rules corporate America, it's certainly gotten better, but still lopsided. Our current demographics for this year are:

In Congress, 77 percent are white. Seventy-three percent are men.

Here's a fun link that shows how bad it's been in history of the Senate for non-whites.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/EthnicDiversityintheSenate.htm

We've had one president who wasn't white in all of our history. No women.

For governors, 45 are men (including the territory governors). Ten are women. All but four of them are white.

And this is the most diverse it's ever been. So how has it ceased being a nation controlled by white men?

Because white men are not some cabal pulling all of the

Feb 23, 2021, 3:27 PM

strings in this country, as much as some want it to be true. I mean, look at the demographics of the country, why wouldn't we have a high % of white people in government office? Why is that inherently bad?

Is there a more diverse governing body in the world? If white men are so controlling and evil, which at the root is absolutely what this kind of rhetoric is alluding to, how are we continuing to gain diversity?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hold up

Feb 23, 2021, 3:34 PM

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say white men are "controlling and evil" (last I checked, I didn't think I was controlling and evil... I guess). I didn't say they were some "cabal pulling all the strings".

But it's a simple fact that white men run this nation, both in the public and private sector. It doesn't make them evil or bad guys; it just is what it is.

CUinTulsa, adding another to his long lineage of absurd posts, claimed that "white patriarchy" is a conspiracy theory. It's not. Patriarchy means men hold the primary power in all facets of a nation. In our case, it's true. It's silly for him to claim that's a conspiracy.

It's just a simple statement of fact and not an insinuation of malintent.

Message was edited by: Catahoula®

Not in the current context of our social discord, it's not

Feb 23, 2021, 3:40 PM

I assume, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, that he's referencing the currently mainstreamization (Is this a word? If it's not I claim it) of critical race theory and anti-white rhetoric. In the context of 2021 political discussions, "White Patriarchy" insinuates systematic racism where white men collude to hold others back.

Frankly, the traction this kind of stuff is getting should scare all white people.

That may have been what he meant.

Feb 23, 2021, 3:52 PM

He should probably elaborate more to eliminate misunderstanding.

I do believe there are plenty of white people in power who look to hold others back, but I don't believe it's a massive coordinated system across all public and private sectors.

Re: The problem is those formerly fringe groups are

Feb 23, 2021, 11:38 AM [ in reply to The problem is those formerly fringe groups are ]

I agree that some of my liberal friends have unrealistic views about what SHOULD or CAN be done going forward . . .

But I think that is significantly different from conspiracy theories about what actually IS happening.

My liberal friends certainly need to be challenged in their perspectives, but these considerations are still open to interpretation and compromise. We are talking about what kind of reality we want to build going forward - it is understood that this is a dynamic conversation.

Conspiracy theories, on the other hand, is an argument about what is real now. And that argument has to be challenged to be based on empirical evidence and rational thinking.

Feb 23, 2021, 1:46 PM

Just a quick question. Who decides what is rational thinking? You? Me? Only liberals?

I've seen you make that argument in the past and was just wondering.

Just because we may disagree with an argument, doesn't necessarily make it irrational.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 2:33 PM

I think WEE can agree on some definition of rational - having to do with evidence, logic, and reason .

I absolutely agree that there can be rational arguments from more than one side of an issue. I think that we would want to discuss and debate the logic and evidence to arrive at some reasonable conclusion (or disagreement).

I would also argue for compromise, at least in the formation of public policy. I may strongly disagree with your position, but as long as it is based on evidence and rational thought, I might feel obligated to compromise with you in order to make public policy. Democracy is somewhere in the middle.

Feb 23, 2021, 2:34 PM

WE

Feb 23, 2021, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem is those formerly fringe groups are ]

Post image

I like your funny words magic man

Replies: 24
| visibility 990
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic