Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The playoffs are going to have to expand to 8 teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

The playoffs are going to have to expand to 8 teams

Jan 13, 2021, 11:23 AM

even though the lower seed pretty much don't stand a chance in he#$. I keep hearing on talk radio about the Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state fatigue. When I look at basketball just making the dance is a celebration in itself and creates interest even for teams that have no chance. Doing this in football would at least give more teams cause to celebrate and draw a little more interest. Heck, one year we might even get an upset. Lol

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I imagine most of money comes from tv but your Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state fans

Jan 13, 2021, 11:28 AM

Aren’t going to that first round. It’s expensive enough to go to one or two. And that first game is mostly meaningless unless you lose someone due to injury or targeting.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I imagine most of money comes from tv but your Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state fans

Jan 13, 2021, 11:39 AM

If the NCAA has anything to do with this decision it will not be made for a looooong time!

For an organization that should include some of the best minds in sports, this one is certainly lacking! I don’t believe they will ever make a ruling on issues like the image and likeness project. There needs to be a massive clean up in this group !

Re: I imagine most of money comes from tv but your Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state fans

Jan 13, 2021, 11:56 AM

NCAA has no involvement with the CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 13, 2021, 1:33 PM [ in reply to I imagine most of money comes from tv but your Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state fans ]

First round could be a home game for higher seed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only way this would work is with home games being

Jan 13, 2021, 2:18 PM [ in reply to I imagine most of money comes from tv but your Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state fans ]

play at the higher seeds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The playoffs are going to have to expand to 8 teams

Jan 13, 2021, 11:30 AM

With Bama and Clemson being in the bubble by themself right now, it would be more Bama & Clemson still, with a OcryO, and probably Texas A&M on occasion!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would not change the final outcome most of the time.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:35 AM

As far as team fatigue, for the 13 year period from 1956 to 1969, the Boston Celtics won the NBA title 11 times out of 13 tries. I am SURE that there was Celtic fatigue at the time, but looking back on it now, you just marvel at the achievement. When Saban is done at Alabama, his number of titles will inspire similar comparisons. We should all just thank goodness that he can't keep those individual teams together for more than a couple of years at a time, or NOBODY else would win one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I agree about the Celtics I think the difference

Jan 13, 2021, 12:28 PM

is professional sports fans are more likely to watch any game, regardless of its their team or not. In college , only the die hards watch teams they have no connection to.

While I agree...

Jan 13, 2021, 11:45 AM

that adding a few more teams (i.e., expanding the CFP field to 8 teams) would likely enhance the excitement level around the playoffs, at the end of the day, I don't think much else is going to change.

Ultimately, you're still going to see the same teams in an 8-team format as well, and people will then start clamouring for further expansion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I HATE the idea of expansion to 8 or 16, BUT......

Jan 13, 2021, 11:46 AM

it's likely the only way to keep interest in the post season. I've always liked the bowls, in particular the "BCS/NY6" bowls, but the new with the "opt out" generation of players those bowls make very intriguing matchups very uninteresting b/c you're watching a shell of a team in a lot of cases (ie UNC & UF this year)

Re: I HATE the idea of expansion to 8 or 16, BUT......

Jan 13, 2021, 11:59 AM

I doubt anything logical will manifest if the NCAA is involved ....6 teams is enough I think ...
1 seed and 2 seed get bye...

3 plays 6 ...at home field of 3...winner plays 2 seed...

4 plays 5 ...at home field of 4....winner plays 1 seed ...

Regular season becomes more important as seeding will be a real advantage...

After first round it basically looks like the current system ...First round is played at home fields as noted ... reducing burden on fans to travel/etc...

Jan 13, 2021, 12:12 PM

So this year we would have had..

Bama and Clemson waiting

aTm plays ND

Ohio State plays Oklahoma

That would’ve been interesting to see....

Jan 13, 2021, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: I HATE the idea of expansion to 8 or 16, BUT...... ]

CU51996 said:

I doubt anything logical will manifest if the NCAA is involved ....6 teams is enough I think ...
1 seed and 2 seed get bye...

3 plays 6 ...at home field of 3...winner plays 2 seed...

4 plays 5 ...at home field of 4....winner plays 1 seed ...

Regular season becomes more important as seeding will be a real advantage...

After first round it basically looks like the current system ...First round is played at home fields as noted ... reducing burden on fans to travel/etc...

Not in favor of expanding but this would be the way to go. More than six makes it too saturated. Who was the last wildcard spot in the NFL last year? Name two play-in teams from March madness a couple years ago.

It's like they said a few years ago; Tired of seeing Alabama win? Beat them.

The only people tired of OSU making the playoffs...

Jan 13, 2021, 12:29 PM

are OSU fans. It’s embarrassing for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jan 13, 2021, 1:40 PM

No byes. Playing the same number of games is very important.

On the same day as the power 5 conference championship games, play 3 more games (bowls) matching the top 6 teams not playing in conference championships as determined by the CFP committee. These may be independents like Notre Dame, Group of Five teams like Cincinnati, Coastal, or UCF, or highly ranked power 5 teams that don’t make their conference championship game.

The eight winners advance to the playoffs.

This essentially creates a 16 team playoff because the conference championship games become win or go home. Yes it means one more game for the teams that make it. If that is a huge issue then drop a cupcake from the regular season. We all have them.

Pros: every team plays the same number of games. Notre Dame or a 1 loss Bama or Ocry0 St team that doesn’t make the conference championship doesn’t get to have an extra week off to prepare.
Creates a way to get group of five teams involved.
Makes at least 7 bowl games (3 on conference championship weekend and the first round of playoffs) desirable destinations.

Cons: Some teams that play in conference championship games may not be ranked in the top 16 - so what, they did what they needed to win their division in a power five conference.
Loser of conference championship is out - even if it is the only loss for say Clemson or Bama. I don’t see this as a negative. That is playoff football.

not bad, but one HUGE caveat.....

Jan 13, 2021, 2:02 PM

do away with CONFERENCE DIVISONS........TOP 2 go to conference championship (like the big12 or the ACC This year). This would essentially eliminate the 2,3,4 loss teams having a chance over a 1 loss team that happened to be on the wrong side of the conference OR lost the "wrong" game due to an injury/COVID (ie Clemson's loss to ND). If they had divisions and ND was in atlantic clemson wouldn't have even made it to the conference Championship game.

Re: not bad, but one HUGE caveat.....

Jan 13, 2021, 2:28 PM

Only issue I see with that is if a conference really does have 2 teams that are worthy of the playoffs. The best 2 teams would be playing in the championship game and one would be eliminated and the third best team might get in by winning one of the other 3 games.

The playoff starts at the conference championship game.

Jan 13, 2021, 4:08 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: The playoffs are going to have to expand to 8 teams ]

What the NFL did this year with 14 teams has been good so far. 6 games the first weekend with the two top seeds getting a bye. Then the eight teams play, then four then championship.

The first round could be played the 2nd weekend in December after the Conference Championships. The second round before Christmas, the third round New Years weekend and championsip 11 or 12 days later.

Better yet, start the season a week earlier and play conference championships the Saturday after Thanksgiving with the CFP games the first week in December which would more time off between the second round games and semifinal games.

I do suppose the season could go back to 11 games before conferemce championships but personally I like the 12 game format.

5 P5 conference champs plus a G5 team would be a good plan.

Jan 13, 2021, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: The playoffs are going to have to expand to 8 teams ]

Eliminates the conference bias crap. Eliminates Bama getting in when not even playing in conference championship game (see 2017..........). Makes the regular season matter, and makes the conference championship games matter. I do like the "top two" getting to the conference championship versus divisions. A 4 loss team from one side getting to the championship makes no sense if there are two 1 loss teams on the other side.

Jan 13, 2021, 2:09 PM

True, maybe an #8 seed doesn't stand a chance against #1 or #7 against a #2,but you still play the game.
And maybe there is a lot of Alabama, Clemson and OSU fatigue ,but you fix that by taking the top team out of the Power 5 conferences based on the the conference championship game.
You then have those 5 teams + 3 teams with the best records based on computer rankings.
The 4 winners are then reseeded with 1-4 and play 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:38 PM

Do the +3 teams with the best records by computer ranking play on conference championship weekend or do they get an extra week of rest and enter the playoffs having played one less game - basically giving lower ranked teams a bye? Need to have a way to make sure all the teams play the same number of games - no byes !

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic