Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFP change is coming
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

CFP change is coming

Dec 22, 2020, 6:04 AM

You have to make postseason interesting for the rest of the country. Many players opt out of the post season because their team is in a "bowl game" and not in the CFP. Either expand to 8 teams with each P5 conference getting an automatic selection in CFP or go back to the old system with traditional bowl games and then have a Pus One game of the 2 highest rated teams after the bowl games are played. Those 2 teams will likely be us and Bama but it gets the rest of the country involved.

In the next few years it will again be the same teams in the CFP and TV ratings will go down which is bad for college football and in turn means less money for the teams playing. Whether you agree with me or not change is coming. Entire regions of the country feel left out. I know its because they are not as good as we are but you have to make kids on the west coast feel like they have a chance, as of now they don't.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, one of your suggestions is to go back to a plus one?

Dec 22, 2020, 6:23 AM

Thats ridiculous! Just go to the eight team playoff, guarantee a berth to each conference champ and at least one G5 team. That would leave room for two at large teams, but don't allow both at large to come from a single conference. Having three of the eight teams from one conference does NOT increase interest, so that possibility must be eliminated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they feel left out...

Dec 22, 2020, 7:15 AM

They should get better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: CFP change is coming

Dec 22, 2020, 7:20 AM

I don’t see the TV ratings going down. Maybe for some of the lesser bowls, but not for the CFP.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Dec 22, 2020, 7:28 AM

Respectfully disagree. I have friends around the country who couldn't care less about college football because they are more enamored with professional sports. An example is, in college I worked at a footwear store in Heywood mall. My manager was from LA. This was in the early 2000's when USC (the real one) had Bush and Leinert. I started talking to him about those guys and he didn't really know much about them, the two biggest stars in college football at the time.

While college football is huge in the Southeast it is not as big of a deal in other places. States and cities with professional teams have little interest in their college teams. The ratings will stay because most college football is watched by fans of OSU, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Noter Dame. I think the one outlier in all of this is the state of Texas. Most of the ratings from week 13 showed that a higher percentage of midwest and southeastern games had higher ratings and more eyes, outside of the oregon oregon state game (rivalry game). Just my thoughts on why I think the current system works well with 4 teams.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Message was edited by: jjctiger0616®

Money talks

Dec 22, 2020, 7:30 AM

Unfortunately, I think it's inevitable that the playoff will expand because of money. If the NCAA sees opportunity, they'll do it.

I do not want to expand it, but I think it will eventually happen.

And there will still be people complaining.

If they expand to 8 teams, the 9th team will whine about not getting in.

Even right now in the 64- / 68-team men's basketball tournament, there are still people whining about not getting in.

Where does it stop?

Re: Money talks

Dec 22, 2020, 7:49 AM

When everyone gets a participation trophy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Money talks ]

Unlike basketball, the NCAA is not involved with the CFP.

The driver will be whether ESPN thinks they would make more money to give to the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 22, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Money talks ]

Actually it’s not about the NCAA which has virtually no power or control over college football. That’s why there’s no playoff. It’s whether ESPN and the power five see an advantage to it

You got people calling for 16 team playoff which is insane!

I don’t believe in doing jack #### in the name of fairness our equity. That’s BS! But if we are going to expand it then it needs to be 8 with the five conference winners and the best non-power five team and two at large bids.

The reality is what we have right now is working perfectly fine. This was never designed to be fair. It was designed to make sure that the two best teams were playing for the national championship. And that’s what has happened. No team in the fourth spot has won the championship and only one team ranked third has won it. That proves they are getting it right. And most of the semi Fowler games have been blowouts.

This is happening because there’s so much more money in the game and because all the games are on TV. It’s all the attention that it now gets. The idea that this is ruining football that other teams don’t have a chance is BS. Sports in general have always been dominated by a handful of the best teams at any given time at any level of sports college or pro.

The best way to make the change is to realign

Dec 22, 2020, 8:09 AM

the conferences. It is the most equitable and the one way to take it out of peoples hands by having the same platform across the board. The conference realignment resulting in either a 8 or 16 team conference championship is the only way to start the playoffs by making the conference championship the first leg of the playoffs. That makes it either 8 or 16 team playoffs without the need for subjectivity. In a year like this one, that would mean TA&M and ND would not have made the playoffs unless the conference make ups were different and they had won their conference championship game. It can be done with four or eight conferences. For four team conferences, the number might be 22 team (11 teams divisions) and for eight conferences the number might be 16 (8 team divisions). This is where it may get a little iffy because to have four conferences of 22, that would be 88 teams. For eight conferences of 16, that would be 128 teams. If it is the former then 40 teams needs to be moved to 1-AA. If the latter, then there are a lot of cupcake games for conferences because there would be a need to be a realignment to balance conferences potentially making them top and bottom heavy. The other change would be the elimination of the current governing NCAA because these 128 or 88 schools would have a different agenda and set of rules than is currently being managed so that we wouldn't have the what if's of the conferences only playing 6 or 11 games. They would need to be all for one and one for all so that all teams play the same number of games total as well as in and out of conference. I know I am just spit balling, but I am trying to take the logical approach. With that, the money is also known up front and the smaller schools have a bigger athletics budget as well as TV contracts can be spread out better. I don't have the answers, but think I have pretty good suggestions; unless you ask my spouse. What do y'all think?

Re: The best way to make the change is to realign

Dec 22, 2020, 8:17 AM

Pipe dream.

The power in college football is in the conferences, not the central governing body. The SEC and Big 10 are never going to volunteer to give up the power and the money.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2020, 8:13 AM

6 team playoff
5 conference champions and an at large with 5 and 6 playing as a wild card spot.

At large must be group of 5 champion if said champion is ranked in top 25. Otherwise, 6th ranked team.

It is not that difficult.

Dec 22, 2020, 8:24 AM

The 4 wi plays 1
3 plays 2
Winner of 5/6 plays 1/4 winner
Loser of 3/2 plays loser 1/4

Winner bracket champ plays loser bracket champ for it all.

No complaining, everyone had a fair shot. No excuses for an off night.

Higher seated plays their first game at home.

Path is harder the lower your ranking, but such is life.

Always wanted 8 games, even if it cost us a game against

Dec 22, 2020, 8:23 AM

a Furman or an El Cid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The most feasible solution...

Dec 22, 2020, 8:46 AM

assuming you're in favor of a 8-team playoff, is to use the following format:

1 - Each champion from the Power 5 conferences earns an automatic spot in the CFP.

2 - One "Group of Five" team

3 - Two at large spots (could also be a Group of 5 member)

If that format was used this season, you'd likely have the following teams in the CFP:

Clemson
Alabama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Cincinnati
Notre Dame
Texas A&M

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The most feasible solution...

Dec 22, 2020, 9:02 AM

Have 16 team P5 Conferences. 10 Div Champs plus 6 at large. Guarantee 1 or 2 G5 plus the ND and and Texas A&Ms thay dont win a Div. No conf champ games, play round 1 at higher seed home field. Only adds 1 game for the teams but 12 playoff games for revenue. If adding a game is a problem drop 1 reg season game (no FCS games, maybe a revenue sharing or spring scrimage for FCS). Second round can be at Conf Champ type sites and last 2 as done now.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you want to skip the 8-team format and go right to 16?***

Dec 22, 2020, 9:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You’re most probably right. Three solutions I see:

Dec 22, 2020, 8:52 AM

1) expand to 8 and play on campus, so seeding matters, and doing way with the meaningless bowls (very unlikely but probably the best solution).

2) keep the bowls, keep the old BCS “elite” bowls, add a plus one championship game. Maybe most likely.

3) have a two-tiered championship with the lesser schools having a separate playoff ( most unlikely unless the big schools just break away).

One thing that could blow all of this up is the NIL stuff.

College football is in a precarious spot right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2020, 9:23 AM

I don't think your 2nd solution solves or even changes anything. We basically already have a plus one game after all of the bowls with the NC game. The only difference between what you're saying and now is that there's an official bracket involving the top 4 teams. In your idea it isn't like a team ranked #10 going into the bowls is going to be able to do enough in their bowl game to play in the NC game. For that same reason the television ratings for the other bowl games wouldn't really be any different than they are now.

I do think they eventually expand the playoffs because that was always eventually going to be the case. I'm not for it myself though because the debate over the #4 spot is typically because there isn't a clear deserving team for that spot. It's usually a debate between a team that has a horrible loss with few quality wins, another team with 2 losses, and a non-P5 team. Expanding that to 8 teams will only involve more 2 loss teams along with some 3 loss teams.

To me you could simply add an option for a play-in game between the #4 seed playing against any P5 team that's unbeaten and outside of the top 4, or the highest ranked non-P5 team. It's highly unlikely for there to be an unbeaten P5 team, but that at least gives an option to solve the problem is for the very unlikely event of all of the P5 conferences having an unbeaten team. More likely though is it would give a path to get in for the non-P5 teams. If there isn't any unbeaten team outside of the top 4 then no extra game gets played and the CFP goes on the way it already does.

This would add importance for being ranked in the top 3, and would also add further value to earning the #1 seed.

Dec 22, 2020, 12:25 PM

What's the purpose of the CFP. As far as I know it is to crown the champion of NCAA college football ..... not to determine who the top eight teams are. Ultimately the only thing that matters, in my opinion is that the best team is among the four teams that are chosen. It would be great if the four teams chosen were the best four, but you will have the same argument if there are six or eight teams in the CFP ....... just like NCAA basketball as to why a certain team was left out.

If fans and colleges don't want the same teams in every year, then they should do more to make sure their team rises to the top ..... donate more money, demand that your university puts in more resources, hire better coaches, etc. It isn't an accident that the teams that always seem to be up there are where they are.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic