Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The greatest Clemson generation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,460

The greatest Clemson generation

Aug 9, 2019, 4:34 PM

Today is my Dad's birthday. He would have been 95. I am posting today to honor his memory and to honor all those men and women throughout our great nation who sacrificed to keep us free during the World War II period. These people were children of the depression and in general grew up when life was hard. My Dad was the first of our family to have an opportunity to go to college. He started Clemson in 1941 and graduated in 1952. A lot of Clemson men had their education delayed during this era. At the same age that I enjoyed football games and the social activities of a coed Clemson, he was carrying a Browning Automatic Rifle and invading Europe not once but twice. He was shot and captured by the Germans, spent six months in prison camp, and 2 years in a tuberculosis hospital after the war. Many of his fellow soldiers had it as bad as he did or worse. I have never heard a member of his generation complain or express regret for their circumstances. Please remember these men and women, especially on Military Appreciation Day at Death Valley. And as my Dad taught me to say, "Go Tigers !"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's awesome. I wish he was still here.

Aug 9, 2019, 5:01 PM

My dad graduated the same year. My uncles did the same thing your dad did. Greatest generation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The greatest Clemson generation

Aug 9, 2019, 5:05 PM

I read ‘this right after reading Finebaums comments. The nerve of him to say we are trying to buy class. We helped buy his freedom and with class. Before reading about your Dad my thoughts had already turned to our proud military tradition. My three older brothers, all Clemson graduates, served in combat during WWII , two in Infantry, one in Artillery,and I served in Korea. Bless the memories of your father and all the other boys who answered the call to duty.
I would like to talk to Finebaum face to face. I still think I could kick his a** all the way to Tennessee and back at age 90.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2019, 5:14 PM

Thank your dad for his service. Tom Brokaw got it right. Greatest generation fits.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2019, 5:23 PM

Yep, not really up for debate, they were some rough, tough men, no snowflakes among them.

Aug 9, 2019, 5:15 PM

A salute to those veterans who faught to give us the freedoms we have today and those who continue to serve our nation. My granddad graduated in the Clemson Class of 1935 and began his engineering career as a civilian, but immediately enlisted in the Army after the attack on Pearl Harbor and served as an officer in the liberation of Pacific islands. He was destined to be part of a land invasion of Japan had the Manhattan project not ended the war.

Aug 9, 2019, 5:19 PM

My Dad also graduated in '52, with his CU education interrupted by the Korean War. I agree with your statement about the greatest generation. I cannot hold a candle to my Dad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 9, 2019, 6:39 PM

My dad graduated in 49..Landed in Normandy +7. Wounded twice. Patched him up and sent him back.
His cemetery plate it says.”The Greatest Generation Ever.” God Bless all of them. Had the privilege
Of visiting Normandy. It will bring tears to your eyes. It did me. Go Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,460
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic