Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The funny things I’ve seen from the sideline and dugout.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The funny things I’ve seen from the sideline and dugout.

Feb 7, 2020, 11:10 PM

I did freelance film photography for the Clemson SID from 1994 through 2015. There have been many funny stories that I wish to share and maybe others will offer their stories. Please correct me if my dates are incorrect. I have seen a lot of games over the years and I forget dates sometimes.

2002 Clemson football vs Ga Tech.
I’ll start by picking on TigerNets own Tommy Crumpton. I always took plastic to cover my camera and lens. This day it was particularly important. It starting pouring rain right at kick off. The drops were so huge your camera would focus on the fallings drops instead of the players. We were running through flowing streams of water on the sideline chasing Rich Rodriguez’s no huddle offense. Tommy Crumpton has great hair. The rain poured off the dudes head like some kind of water proof beaver pelt. The rest of us were soaked.

2002 Clemson football at UNC
Some time in the 80’s the Clemson flag team started a tradition of running around the perimeter of the field after touchdowns with the Tiger Paw flag. I believe it was meant to taunt the Maryland Terps. At Clemson one year a Maryland fan came out of the stands to stop the runners. The scuffle got broke up and the ACC put in a rule that said the flag runner could not pass behind the visitor sideline.
So in 2002 at Chapel Hill one of the Tar Heel flag bearers makes a couple of passes behind the Clemson bench. On the third pass Reggie Herring who was in a heated conversation with the defense saw the dude coming and had seen enough. Reggie sprinted out to the guy and stopped him cold. There was fear on the flag bearers face. Utter terror! Needless to say he did not make a return trip to that side of the field.

2003 Clemson vs Florida State
No one gave the Tigers a chance.The team played with no fear. Charlie Whitehurst tossed a rainbow to Derrick Hamilton for a late TD. When the ball was in the air you could feel the entire stadium take a breath and then exploded with joy when was caught and Hamilton jumped into the stands. Later in the game Florida State coach Micky Andrews was pissed and giving the referees a cussing. One of the Clemson waterboys cut him off going out on the field with water. Micky cussed him out. He turned back to Micky handing a bottle and says H 2 O!
“Captain Insano shows no mercy.”

2001 Clemson at NC State Woody tears the Pack up in purple pants.
Woody Dantzler put on a show that day. During the game the NC State students were singing the Barney song “I Love you ,you love me” and making other taunts to the Clemson bench. In the third quarter the Tigers had the game in hand. Ryan Hemby led some other players in singing back to the NC State students. “I love you,You love me, Want you check the scoreboard please.”

Clemson baseball (my favorite) at Wake Forest
Clemson was at Wake Forest field. The one on campus. They didn’t have a visitors locker room or other facilities for the visitors. They put a port a john behind the visitor dugout. We were taking some serious trash talk from a couple of Wake fans. Between innings one of the dudes took off to the concessions and the other went into the port a john. Immediately upon his entry one of the Clemson trainers bolted out to the port a john with a roll of duct tape and started to tape the door shut. Soon another trainer joined the prank.They must have emptied 4 rolls of duct tape around the port a john taping the door shut top to bottom. We laughed ourselves silly. Then his buddy came back looking for him at their spot along the fence. We played it cool so not to give away the prank.He stayed in there for an inning until his buddy heard him slapping on the door. They had to get a pocket knife to cut him out.

One year the Ga Tech Yellow Jacket mascot was particularly annoying to the Tiger. They had some unfriendly antics on the field and the Yellow Jacket grabbed and ripped off the Tiger tail. The Tiger steamed off into the tunnel and the Yellow Jacket followed maybe to apologize. The Tiger was having none of it. The Tiger threw the Yellow Jacket down WWF style then grabbed the Yellow Jacket head and spun it backwards!

Clemson at South Carolina 1999
The game is over and the Gamecocks are 0-11. The Clemson band started tossing Zero candy bars on the field. There were so many candy bars the players were stuffing them in their jerseys and our camera bags.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post! Enjoyed reading every experience.***

Feb 8, 2020, 5:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The funny things I’ve seen from the sideline and dugout.

Feb 8, 2020, 7:49 AM

That is funny. Please post as often as you can. Enjoyed reading them. Thanks for posting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 7:56 AM

GREAT READ! Thanks tor sharing.

I’m not sure which one of the three about 1) Reggie Herring, 2) the duct tape, or 3) the Zero Bars is my favorite.

But ALL were good (and funny) anecdotes!

+1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Feb 8, 2020, 9:02 AM

I know. I remember the candy bars. That was awesome.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 8:02 AM

Awesome stories. Please post more if you ever feel like it. Thanks for sharing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 8:19 AM

Wonderful read. Keep em coming!

Feb 8, 2020, 9:11 AM

Thanks for posting. This was great. I was doing this for Furman years ago but my only story is seeing Mitch Kupchak knocked out cold by an elbow under the boards in Charlotte

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Zero bar thing is the funniest of the lot for me. Talk

Feb 8, 2020, 9:17 AM

about kicking a Coot when they are down.... :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THANK YOU!! MORE...........please!***

Feb 8, 2020, 9:43 AM

Feb 8, 2020, 10:28 AM

Awesome share ST. I would love to have that job/perspective.

Feb 8, 2020, 10:40 AM

That’s gold!

Thanks for posting.

99 at the roach was hilarious. Watching candy bars flying onto the field was something we may never witness again. Of course, USUC is probably due for another one at some point. Nice job Louuuuu!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 11:12 AM

Good stories. Keep them coming. Taping the guy in the Port-a-john had me bouncing with laughter. We did that to one of my buddies many years ago. He wasn't too happy at the moment but soon after was laughing with all of us.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loved the Tiger mascot with the takedown

Feb 8, 2020, 11:39 AM

Feb 8, 2020, 7:15 PM

I have a buddy who shot video with me at Clemson in the late 90’s. At the ‘99 GT game in Atlanta he got into a pretty bad fight with the Yellowjacket right in front of the GT section. The mascot was taunting him on the field so he beat the crap out of him. His account of the event was the funniest thing I’d ever heard. A GT grad confirmed everything a year later.

Thanks for sharing, keep ‘em coming!***

Feb 8, 2020, 8:29 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i Remember the Maryland fan tackling our flag runner.

Feb 8, 2020, 9:12 PM

Probably a good rule to stop the going behind the opposing teams bench

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic