Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier.

Sep 5, 2019, 6:06 PM

If a 12-1 Clemson team ever misses out in the 4 team feild. Every Clemson fan myself included would want a 8 team playoff. I believe we go 15-0 this season of course. But at some point a 12-1 team that deserves a spot in the playoff will miss out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier.

Sep 5, 2019, 6:39 PM

We could just do like Saban did. Cry our way in!!

Sep 5, 2019, 6:48 PM

Saban's crying was tactical. And unnecessary.

By the SC's reasoning, only 3 teams met the criteria of the 4-team playoff. They couldn't give one of the 3 a bye; they had to consider which of the non-qualifiers could become the #4 seed.

Saban cried, his team got selected in spite of his crying, and then they won the Natty as the #4 seed.

Great teams take advantage of opportunities.

Sep 5, 2019, 6:41 PM

Two team playoff would be fine right now.

Sep 5, 2019, 7:09 PM

Which two?

Sep 5, 2019, 6:44 PM

I would like to see a 16 team playoff. All 10 conference champions from the FBS and 6 at large teams.

Sep 5, 2019, 6:49 PM

So long as 4 of the 6 were from the SEC, they would support you in this endeavor.

Sep 5, 2019, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier. ]

TinCup14® said:

I would like to see a 16 team playoff. All 10 conference champions from the FBS and 6 at large teams.

I’m in favor of this actually. But only if they get rid of all the bowl games for 6-6 teams.

So non-conference games just don’t matter at all. Yay.

Sep 5, 2019, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier. ]

This continuous push to kill what makes college football great is sad.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So non-conference games just don’t matter at all. Yay.

Sep 5, 2019, 7:57 PM

We would get to see better nonconference matchups at the end of the season under a 16 team playoff. There would be no more guessing who the best teams are. It would decided on the field like every other sport.

Sep 6, 2019, 7:02 AM

if there's one thing the cfp has taught us, it's that there aren't even four teams worth competing every year.

Sep 6, 2019, 9:02 AM

Not really. Just that they picked teams to be in that shouldn’t have been there.

Sep 6, 2019, 7:12 AM [ in reply to Re: The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier. ]

Then the SEC would demand to have all 14 of their teams in the CFP.

Sep 6, 2019, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier. ]

That would be good. It would make my dream of a continuous, all year long football season a near reality

SEC would have 4 teams in every year....No thanks***

Sep 6, 2019, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier. ]

Sep 5, 2019, 8:49 PM

Here's a scenario that will get you an 8 team playoff in 2020 or 2021:

Clemson goes 13 - 0
Oklahoma or Texas go 13 - 0
ND goes 12 - 0
0310 State or Michigan go 13 - 0
Bama loses SEC championship goes 12 - 1
UGA wins SEC Championship goes 12 - 1

Both Bama and UGA and Bama left out because all other teams are undefeated and for ND to be undefeated they had to beat UGA. IMO you can't put UGA in over the team that beat them.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2019, 6:37 AM

Wow! What a beautiful scenario! I would love to see Bama and GA left out. LOL!

I like the cut of your jib, mr.

Sep 6, 2019, 7:38 AM [ in reply to Re: The case for a 8 team playoff becomes a lot easier. ]

Sep 5, 2019, 11:04 PM

A 6 or 8 team playoff is coming. Just a matter of time. Hopefully discussions will re-open before the 2026 contract expires.

Whe the CFP began in 2014, I was strongly in favor of 8 team

Sep 6, 2019, 6:57 AM

Now that we have made it 4 times, I am fine with four teams. I am afraid that an eight team playoff, with the current criteria, would just end up with three or four SEC teams in it. We don't need that!

One big thing I would change now is...put more weight on winning your conference! Make it impossible for a non conference champ to get in over a conference champ, with the same number of losses. For example, if we lose a game, but still win the ACC, and UGA only loses in the SEC championship game, they could not get in over us! Non conference winning team could only get in if they have a better record than the conference champion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s pretty simple. Really simple

Sep 6, 2019, 7:14 AM

There are not 8 teams that are capable of winning. Might could make it rise a little by making an argument for six. But no more

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Imo, one has to 'make a case,' for three.

Sep 6, 2019, 7:20 AM

The playoff concept is designed so no case has to be made. You win, you're in.

Imo, 'making a case is how ESPiN makes a living.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won two of the last three.

Sep 6, 2019, 7:17 AM

Bama hasn't done much better than that with only one back to back in the last decade and they made the field of four with a loss and no conference championship.

The probability that Clemson would be left out if we win our conference championship and have one loss is fairly slim right now. If we fall off for a couple years they will probably leave us out.

...which brings me to my next point, 'if we fall off,' why would we deserve to be included in a playoff?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2019, 7:34 AM

Your statement is incorrect. Every Clemson fan would not want an 8 team playoff just because we get left out. I’m a Clemson fan and I don’t want the NFL in college and from the looks of the comments I’m not alone. Never ever ever in any season have I looked at the polls and said “you know that 9-3 Mississippi State really deserves a shot at being the National Champion”. Just please stop trying to ruin a great sport.

If you can get to 130...you can get your coots in the mix...***

Sep 6, 2019, 8:19 AM

Sep 6, 2019, 12:10 PM

I'm ok with the idea of a 6 team playoff so that they can get in the borderline teams that look like they deserve a shot. Top 2 get byes and the bottom four have to play in. I feel like the season is long enough as it is and it gets expensive for fans to make the extra games. If they go to 8 then the extra game must be at home for the higher ranked team.

I don't think that anything past 6 adds any value whatsoever and actually dilutes the regular season. Top 2-3 are generally consensus - these are the teams that should be guaranteed a shot. The other spots are for teams that are borderline but deserving of a shot. There will always be arguments over who gets that last spot, but if you can't get into the top 6.... Do you really deserve a chance to play for the National Championship?

Sep 6, 2019, 11:19 PM

I think four teams is fine. At some point you start to minimize the importance of the regular season if you allow more and more teams into the playoff. What's the benefit of going undefeated if teams with two defeats (which would happen every year if you went to 8 teams) also get a chance to compete for the title? Seems like it would make the certainly of the best teams being included even less certain than they are now since the gap between the 8th and 9th team would be infinitesimally smaller than the gap between the 4th and 5th teams most years.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic