Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The XFL has between 500 and 700 million....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

The XFL has between 500 and 700 million....

Apr 11, 2019, 7:14 PM

dollars in the bank. They will not fold up that easily. I’m sure they will start luring kids right out of high school to come play for them. Not all kids want to go to school. They only go because they have no other way to get to play professional football and earn a paycheck. The lure of money in hand right now is a strong motivation for a lot of kids. The XFL has no intention of competing with the NFL. They are taking aim at college football and want to compete in that arena first. The XFL is going to be a dangerous opponent for college football and will change the landscape of college football as we know it.

Any thoughts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The XFL has between 500 and 700 million....

Apr 11, 2019, 7:20 PM

Clemson seems to get kids that enjoy school and the college experience. Maybe we will continue to get these players and the semi-pro league that doesn’t care about school (SEC) with lose on their recruits.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 7:22 PM

Hope you’re right.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Re: The XFL has between 500 and 700 million.... ]

Clemson seems to get kids that enjoy school and the college experience. Maybe we will continue to get these players and the semi-pro league that doesn’t care about school (SEC) with lose on their recruits.

I actually kind of agree with this take.

The XFL will get some kids, but I don't think they'll cut heavily into the kind of guys that Clemson recruits...and I think it definitely hurts the SEC a good bit worse than it hurts the ACC.

For a high school grad, that's not college material, let's

Apr 11, 2019, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Re: The XFL has between 500 and 700 million.... ]

say they are paid $50,000 per year by the XFL. That is double what most would make straight out of high school in a regular job. And maybe a select few will get a shot at the NFL. So, why wouldn't it appeal to those with the talent, but not the desire for college!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 7:20 PM

Completely disagree as a stand alone. They will get very small amount of elite players at a max of 200k salary. You have to compete at 18-19 with grown men and injuries will make it fold within 3yrs. The average money in the scheme of things to elite players won't be enough. The only way it survives is if advertising and product sponsors go all in with them and throw in millions.

Apr 11, 2019, 7:22 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Apr 11, 2019, 7:24 PM

Like Dabo, I’m all for it...maybe it will do away with a lot of shady recruiting. And these God Awful last chance U Jucos....let’s face it most of these players nationwide do not deserve the moniker of “student” athlete

Apr 11, 2019, 7:34 PM

The amount of money sloshing around in college football was bound to attract some kind of interest from rich guys. I mean you have a group of bored billionaires and sports. The players are starting to come out of high school playing college quality football. So it seems obvious to lure the players away with the trappings of being a "semi" pro player and some cash. This would be especially attractive to poor kids with little family history of going to college. We live in a capitalist system, if there is easy money to be made, somebody is going to make it.

Apr 11, 2019, 7:49 PM

That is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. It is not enough to buy an nfl team. I think panthers sold a few months ago for just under a Billion dollars. I give XFL one year and they fold. No on wants to watch bad football. With no tv money it folds

Apr 11, 2019, 7:53 PM

Actually the Panthers sold for over two billion dollars.

Apr 11, 2019, 7:51 PM

I hope they are successful. I would like to see players with no desire to be in school go elsewhere.

null

Apr 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

IMO, in the short term it will be attractive for some that would actually do well in college. However, at some point in their life they will realize that the money paid for playing semi-pro football does not equal the value of the college scholarship and degree for the years after football.

There are no guarantees that a NFL contract will ever come their way. Dabo always says they recruit the person first and I doubt Clemson would lose more than 1 recruit a year (if that).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: The XFL has between 500 and 700 million.... ]

They already do go elsewhere. They go to the secheat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could not have said it better. I hope they succeed and NCAA members simultaneously

Apr 11, 2019, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: The XFL has between 500 and 700 million.... ]

start cracking down on corruption and diploma mills so that the true student athletes play college football. I have NO problem with a kid who doesn’t want to wait for the NFL to get paid for their skills. I DO have a problem, though,when they think their impatience means they can just break the rules.

null

Don't know but enjoyed the heck out of AAF and...

Apr 11, 2019, 8:52 PM

...disappointed they folded before finishing one season. It was very entertaining and to me had a much more "college feel" than the NFL. And, as we all know...nothing is better than college football. NFL is okay in a pinch. Hope the XFL is as entertaining as AAF.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 9:06 PM

Will not last 3 years

Apr 11, 2019, 9:08 PM

No one will watch it. We love football. Would you watch it? I would not. Just like arena football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 9:52 PM

It will help us. It will hurt Bama, UGA, FSU, Louisville, and the like.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic