Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The TRUTH about the incompletion vs. fumble play:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

The TRUTH about the incompletion vs. fumble play:

Dec 29, 2019, 2:45 AM

I'll make this concession to OSU fans: I don't like the rule that allows such a play to be called incomplete-- I think the rule should be changed and clarified to rule out this result. That said, that play was ruled *exactly* how it's been interpreted and called consistently for several years now, all across the college football world. So let's not act like it was the wrong call according to the rules. Plays like this happen *ALL THE TIME* and no one blinks an eye out complains. This one got a lot of light and heat shed on it because it was for high stakes in a contested game, but that call was no different than normal -- that is, if you drop the ball too soon after the potential catch, they seem it as having not established possession. Again, I don't like the rule, but we didn't get an unfair break.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The TRUTH about the incompletion vs. fumble play:

Dec 29, 2019, 3:18 AM

The reality of it is judgment calls like that will always be a part of sports. There can be rules made and clarifications to those rules, but ultimately there will ALWAYS be some play that will be in a gray area that an official has to make a judgment on.

I initially thought Ross was bobbling the ball before he dropped it, but I also thought there was no way he could have made a football move because the defender was pushing him from behind as soon as the ball got there. On the replay, he obviously had a solid hold on the ball, but was never allowed to make a move of his own volition - i.e. a football move.

It was the right call no matter how many OSU homers cry otherwise.

Dec 29, 2019, 7:51 AM

I COMPLETELY disagree with you. Are you saying if that was in the endzone, as time expires for the win, it should have been a catch?

A few of our fellow tigers take on this reminds me that opinions are like asholes on many occasions.

So, because you disagree

Dec 29, 2019, 7:56 AM

The OP is an a$$ whole? Is that how it works?

Per your scenario...Ross would have been pulling away from the DB...not trying to make a catch, tuck and reverse field, but...I'll just carry on being an a$$ Whole with the OP. I'm good with that.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2019, 8:00 AM

I thought the play should have been whistled dead if anything. Ross was wrapped up and being pushed backwards. To me his forward progress was stopped.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Reminded me of the non-fumble in the second half of

Dec 29, 2019, 8:03 AM

the ND game where Simmons stripped the runner and they called "forward progress" instead.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ross's forward progress was stopped as soon as he caught the ball

Dec 29, 2019, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: The TRUTH about the incompletion vs. fumble play: ]

...however briefly.

The rule on this states:

"
Rule 4
Ball Declared Dead
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle
or declare it dead:
a. When it goes out of bounds other than a kick that scores a field goal after
touching the uprights or crossbar, when a ball carrier is out of bounds,
or when a ball carrier is so held that his forward progress is stopped.
When in question, the ball is dead (A.R. 4-2-1-II"

The key term in this case being declared dead. The ball is declared dead when progress is stopped in this case. Once declared dead there can't be a fumble, even when it is in question.

The officials had two choices. Either make the incomplete call or rule forward progress stopped due to Ross being driven toward the Clemson goal line.

Either way, it's fourth down and Clemson punts.

Dec 29, 2019, 8:01 AM

It was a catch and a fumble. They were robbed luckily. On to LSU.

Dec 29, 2019, 8:22 AM

The exofficial working with the TV crew said it as not a catch and he explained it well. Slow motion is not used for that type ruling.

Dec 29, 2019, 8:33 AM

It's not a bad call by the refs due to the rules to an extent. That was a catch though. Reminds of the Dez Bryant catch called no catch.

Dec 29, 2019, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: The TRUTH about the incompletion vs. fumble play: ]

It was not a catch. The official in the booth didn't hesitate to say so; hence, it wasn't even close. Super slow mo made it look like a catch.

The officials let it play through so there could be a review.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2019, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: The TRUTH about the incompletion vs. fumble play: ]

It was an incomplete pass. The officials reviewed it many times and "officially" declared it an incomplete pass. Their decision is the only one that matters. Move on to LSU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2019, 8:25 AM

Meh. On the same play their was defensive holding on the boundary receiver (#17) with a grab of the jersey limiting separation.

Dec 29, 2019, 8:30 AM

You are correct. I saw that, too.

That one should have given us a first down and kept the drive alive.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic