Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Problem with the USC job
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,861

The Problem with the USC job

Nov 16, 2020, 8:27 AM

There are multiple problems with the HC job in Columbia. And anyone considering the job will be well informed of the challenges they would face should they accept the position. I took a look at all of the challenges I could think of and decided that the only reason I would take the job would be for the buyout in 3 years. Here's how I see it.

1) The cupboard is bare. Over the past 4 years, recruiting at USC has been much worse than UGA, UF, TAMU and Clemson. Those teams have loaded up on about twice as many 4* and 5* recruits. There is no reasonable expectation that a new coach could come in and win based on personnel alone. 4 of your annual opponents have much better players than you. All other things being equal, you're going to lose 4 games every year until you can close that talent gap.

2) The program will be financially disadvantaged for a few years. Unless the USC alumni passed the hat around on Sunday and came up with $13.2M to fire Muschamp, that money is going to have to come from somewhere. Perhaps facilities take a hit or the recruiting budget and how much money you can spend on quality assistants and analysts. That's a big pill to swallow and it won't help them get out of this hole they've dug for themselves.

3) Ray Tanner is still the AD. If Tanner has proven anything during his tenure it's that he was a much better baseball coach. And if USC somehow lands a coach that could be a winner, I've no doubt that Tanner will find a way to ###### defeat from the jaws of victory. Unless USC solves its Ray Tanner problem, they're next football HC will have an uphill battle.

4) Their opponents are elite. As mentioned in #1, they have to play Clemson, Florida, UGA and Texas A&M every year. It's tough to rebuild through recruiting when you're getting your a$$ handed to you in nationally televised games. And, those 4 opponents don't appear to be fading anytime soon. Clemson's own ascension was helped to some degree by FSU and USC both falling into mediocrity. USC won't have even that much of a break.

5) They have no culture and tradition. This is a program that has never been a winner. They are Vanderbilt without the scholastic reputation. They're Kansas. They're Maryland. They are a program that has to invent tradition because everything they've ever had has been forgettable. Any new coach coming in would have to slowly change that culture of being a losing program. That's a tough job if that were your only problem. And it's near impossible when you add problems 1-4 into the mix.

Given the above, I think there are a handful of coaches that might give this a go. Here's who I would think about and why they might accept the position.

1) Jamey Chadwell: He's done good work at Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina. He's over-achieved. And he's a charismatic leader. I think he could get some recruiting wins through his leadership style and charisma. He'd likely take the job because the salary is life-changing money. Even if he failed, he'd get a buyout that would equal what he could make at Coastal Carolina in 20 years. It's a guaranteed retirement plan and a seat at the high stakes table for free. I think this is their best chance.

2) Hugh Freeze: Nobody can doubt that Freeze is one heckuva coach. Is he a bit of a cheater? Yep. But, that might be an advantage for USC... because they ain't gonna win soon without a little help. And Freeze has made Liberty (Liberty!!!) into a winner. They're 8-0 with wins over 2 ACC teams. When's the last time USC beat 2 ACC teams? But, Freeze may not be interested in leaving Liberty just yet. Another 'rehab' year with Liberty and he might get an offer from a better P5 program.

3) Billy Napier: Napier checks a lot of boxes for this job with experience at Clemson and Alabama. He's turned Louisiana into a legitimate program. And he's very knowledgeable about the recruiting area that USC needs to target. He would be a good pick and a safe one. Nobody would question Ray Tanner for picking Freeze or Napier. Both are legit contenders for P5 HC jobs. But, could Napier get a better opportunity at the end of this season when more jobs open up (Michigan?).

4) Brian Harsin (BSU): Harsin is a good football coach. He's been a contender for better jobs for a while now, but hasn't left Boise State. To me, the only knock on Harsin is that he's not familiar with recruiting in the Southeast. But, I think he'd bring some excitement to the program and would (schematically) bring some fresh air to the SEC. He might not win a bunch of games right off the bat, but he would take a bunch of shots.

5) Tony Elliott: LOL. Nope. There is absolutely zero chance that Tony Elliott would leave Clemson and take the job in Columbia. Not going to happen.

6) Steve Sarkisian: I had to throw a Saban assistant in the mix and why not? Sark has been instrumental in increasing Bama's offensive effectiveness. He's got NFL experience and prior HC experience in the Pac-12. He'd be a solid, if unexciting, pick for USC.

Who knows what Tanner will do? I think there are even odds that he keeps Bobo as the HC next season. It would be the cheap option I think. But, if it were me... I'd roll the dice on Chadwell. What do you have to lose? You're already a sub .500 program with nowhere to go but up!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Problem with the USC job

Nov 16, 2020, 8:33 AM

But will Chadwell roll the dice on his career on them? I don’t think he will. If he keeps on winning where he’s at a more stable name without problems 1-4 will come calling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would

Nov 16, 2020, 8:36 AM

It's shallow, but there is a mighty big difference between making $375,000 per year and $4,200,000 per year. That is life changing money. And I think he would jump at it.

Nov 16, 2020, 8:37 AM

If you are Steve Sarkisian... dont you ride out Saban at Bama and try to turn that into a HC in waiting scenario? I mean, I am sure Bama could get a lot of guys but wouldnt they want to kind of keep things going as is? Sark has been a successful HC before and it only really fell apart because this personal life at the time. If he has that in order, I would think he would be hoping to get the Bama gig.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 8:39 AM

Yep. I think they still have to call him. But, I don't think he'll be interested.

The problem with the USC job is that it's

Nov 16, 2020, 8:41 AM

in California and the taxes are too high out there. Plus all the stupid liberals who occupy that state.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nov 16, 2020, 8:45 AM

There is a lot of talk going around twitter this morning that there is mutual interest between coots and Napier.

Honestly...this hire makes the most sense IMO...

Nov 16, 2020, 8:50 AM

which is likely why Tanner won't do it.

He's a solid coach who worked under Dabo and Saban.

He's familiar with recruiting throughout the southeast.

His current salary is less than $900,000 annually.

His current buyout is only about $1 million.

Napier would certainly be one of the more affordable options for them.

That said, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between coaching at ULaLa compared to coaching in a Power 5 conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 16, 2020, 9:05 AM

I have a feeling that they'll find a way to not let money be an issue. I'm not sure of the details of where it all comes from, but I don't think they'd let money stop them from trying to make moves. What I mean is, let's say someone like Urban Meyer would be willing to take the job, but he'd want a salary between 8-10 million to agree. I don't think they'd turn him down due to the money being too much. Now, I certainly don't think Meyer would do such a thing, but I'm only using that as an example to show that I don't think it'll be the money holding them back.

I think it's the other issues you mentioned that are working against them right now. FSU was recently think of as one of the best jobs in the country, and even they've had trouble getting attention from high profile coaches in their last two searches due to similar reasons.

Those reasons could be why someone like Freeze will be perfect for them. I wouldn't see a top program like Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, or even LSU taking someone like Freeze due to what happened with him at Ole Miss. Whichever P5 program that hires him next will be one that's willing to take a chance on him out of desperation to win. It would be up to Freeze to decide whether he can wait it out for another 1-3 years instead to see if he gets a better offer from somewhere like Auburn, Tennessee, FSU, or whoever.

If I were them I'd make an all out effort to get either Caldwell or Napier. For once, go with a young an upcoming coach that's hungry, and can potentially build a program and be there for a long time. I know Muschamp isn't very old, but he certainly wasn't an upcoming coach after being fired from Florida only 1 year prior. I'd only consider Freeze after being turned down by both of those coaches.

Another issue affecting USuC coaching search is who

Nov 16, 2020, 9:53 AM

else will be looking for a head coach. At a minimum, I believe Michigan is going to part ways with Harbaugh this year leaving a coaching vacancy at a much more prestigious football school. Not sure if Texas is quite ready to pull the plug on Herman - if Texas were to lose to ISU and/or KSU Herman may be out of a job as well.

Who knows what will happen in the coaching carousel silly season but I just don't see USuC being at the top of many coaches dream job list...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really nice summary...

Nov 16, 2020, 10:10 AM

I think Napier is most likely choice unless he gets a big opportunity elsewhere.

Alot of people thought you cant fire a coach in the middle of all this, especially with a large buyout but Tanner jsut put alot of pressure on other ADs in the country. Both Pruitt and Malzahn aren't out of the woods yet as their seasons could end badly as well. The Carolina job isnt a bad job, IMO, but there are certainly some better options.

Freeze is probably the fan favorite but who knows if Sankey will allow it...which would be silly for Sankey bc he allows all of the other crap to go on (and Mullen still coaching despite all of the crap at Miss St).

LOL! One second after Tanner announced he was keeping

Nov 16, 2020, 10:31 AM

Bobo as the permanent head coach, he would be fired as AD. The fanbase wants a clean break from all things Muschamp.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,861
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic