Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Pitter-Patter of Rain Drops on a Tin Roof
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,888

The Pitter-Patter of Rain Drops on a Tin Roof

Apr 15, 2020, 7:25 PM

I grew up in North Florida at a time when many houses had a tin roof. The tin roof was preferred by many because it did provide more fire protection than wooden shingles. None of the houses were insolated so an acorn or rain drop falling on that tin roof was music to my ears. Plus, on Christmas Eve we could hear when Santa made his landing with toys for the good girls and boys, and I was always good --- for a few minutes.

When I was a teenager, I would go out to my brother-in-laws farm quite often. If it was raining I would go to the barn loft, it was a very special place and there was a tin roof. Among the crops he grew was peanuts. About the only variety grown in that area was the Spanish variety. It was a small but tasty nut. When the peanuts were ready for harvest the machine that removed the nuts from the vine was not as efficient as today's machines so there were quite a few nuts left on the vines. The vines were baled for forage and the bales stored in the barn's loft. Leaning back against those bales, plucking peanuts off the vines in the bale and listening to the pitter-patter of rain drops on that tin roof was like a bit of heaven. If it wasn't for the fact I loved eating those raw peanuts, I would have been asleep in three minutes flat. Those were the days !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Pitter-Patter of Rain Drops on a Tin Roof

Apr 15, 2020, 8:25 PM

Great story and brings back great memories. Haven’t been around as long but I grew up in Darlington and would spend a lot of time at my mama’s, especially in the summer. Neither she or we had AC but she had a tin roof and when we had those summer thunderstorms I remember the cool air coming in the windows of my dads old bedroom and how fast that sound of rolling thunder and rain on the tin would put me to sleep. Good thing too cause in the morning, I’d grab a cane pole, run to the cow lot to dig some worms, and it was off to the millpond. Bluegill and red breast used to bite like crazy after a good T storm.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Pitter-Patter of Rain Drops on a Tin Roof

Apr 15, 2020, 8:39 PM

Our farm home had a tin roof. My three brothers and I bunked in a large single room up stairs. As you say, with no insulation, we experienced the rain in stereo and it could put you to sleep in minutes. In the summer nights that room was so hot that we took a blanket and crawled out a window and slept on the porch roof.. Luckily no one ever slipped off.
When a rain drove us out of the fields we would put the horses in the barn and feed them. I would go to the house and put on my rain gear and head to the pasture to see the cattle taking shelter under the trees with rain drops gently rolling off the leaves dropping on their backs. Then on down to the small creek (really called a branch) to watch the water level slowly rising. Finally I headed up to the cotton and corn fields to watch the rain drops roll off the leaves. It was so fascinating to see how the corn leaves were designed to funnel the water down to the stalk and then flow down to the base to be soaked up by the roots. Natures Architect knew what she was doing. I spent hours roaming ever corner of the property. It was so soothing and educational.and helped to prepare me for the current life style we are now having to live. Proving that you can be happy without all the modern toys many think we can’t do without.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What did a hail storm or falling acorns sound like?***

Apr 16, 2020, 6:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What did a hail storm or falling acorns sound like?***

Apr 16, 2020, 9:10 AM

"Don't you call me pudgy, portly, or stout, justa tell me once again, WHO'S FAT!"
-Weird Al Yankovic

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yessir, the best sleep you will ever get in your life is

Apr 16, 2020, 9:06 AM

under a tin roof with a steady (loud enough to hear) rain falling. Of course, it has to be an old time, uninsulated tin roof to get that noise. :)

Of course, you can go modern tech and buy recordings of

Apr 16, 2020, 9:07 AM

this nowadays, to relive "the old days". :)

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,888
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic