Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Old Fireplace
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

The Old Fireplace

Dec 17, 2019, 8:38 PM

The old wood burning fireplace was probably the most inefficient method for providing heat for a home than any other source known to mankind. Some did a better job than others and some were a work of art, built by craftsmen of a bygone era. The old fireplace may have been intended to be a space heater but the actual space was very limited.

Standing before a fireplace made a person experience two temperature extremes. While facing the fire, the temperature on the body was somewhat akin to roasting chestnuts over a roaring fire. But the temperature on one's backside felt like all the cold from the North Pole had found a landing spot.

But, for me, the old fireplace had several redeeming features. Seated in a comfortable chair and gazing into that flickering flame, I could forget every problem mankind or I found myself dreaming of all sorts of wonderful ideas. What a wonderful atmosphere for thinking, relaxing or enjoying a peaceful nap.

Growing up in North Florida few, if any, private homes had central heat. There was the usual fireplace, often replaced by a box stove and one or more kerosene heaters. Winters were not severe but even in Florida it took a lot of wood to keep those fires going. Keeping the wood box filled and cleaning out the ashes appeared to be a never-ending job and I vowed never to have a working fireplace during my adult years.

Several years after moving to Clemson, we bought a house with a fireplace, one opening upstairs and another opening in the downstairs den. In spite of my vow never to fill up the wood box and clean out the ashes, the thought of watching that flickering flame was just too much to resist. For a short time we enjoyed the open fireplace but we soon decided the best option was to install an insert. And there I was, back to the old days, filling up the wood box and taking out the ashes.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Old Fireplace

Dec 17, 2019, 8:49 PM

Mr. C. Having a place in central florida it does get a little nippy now and then but we have no fireplace. I miss having one up here in northern Kentucky for the reasons you mention. Nothing like sitting in a chair with a nice bourbon and watching the flames lick the logs.

Message was edited by: reynolds®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 8:54 PM

Best stuff we can get on T net Are the memories from Joe. Thanks Joe. Much obliged.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a young man . . .

Dec 17, 2019, 9:41 PM

with little money, a bride and 2 children . . . cutting, splitting and delivering a cord of wood . . . was our Christmas gift to those we loved . . . Oh, to be that young and energetic once again?!!!

May we all build memories to savor in these next few days as we celebrate our Savior's birth and God's gift to us!!!

Love and "Big A-s Hugs" to everyone!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a young man . . .

Dec 17, 2019, 9:55 PM

Yes, Skeeta, i am focusing on The Glorious Impossible for this season, which dovetails nicely with your post. Wishing you and the whole Skeeta entourage the most blessed Christmas season ever!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 9:56 PM [ in reply to As a young man . . . ]

Yes, Skeeta, i am focusing on The Glorious Impossible for this season, which dovetails nicely with your post. Wishing you and the whole Skeeta entourage the most blessed Christmas season ever!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 10:59 PM [ in reply to As a young man . . . ]

Amen brother.

The time, effort and simplicity of it, as was then would be, to me, a dadgum nice gift today.

Cool memory in its own right. See, Joe even brings about our own memories... cheesed out as I read that back, but true.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is a great story...

Dec 17, 2019, 9:54 PM

but I was waiting for the metaphor ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is a great story...

Dec 17, 2019, 10:02 PM

The ashes are the coots’ football hopes and dreams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

^ We all could drink to that..

Dec 17, 2019, 10:54 PM

celebrating Coot's ashes even though the beer concession stand in WillieB won't open til Spring, i heard.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha. They’ll be too drunk to know that they lost their spring game***

Dec 17, 2019, 10:57 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 11:36 PM

Built a screened porch and it has a fireplace. During the cold months we put plastic in the openings. Keeps it nice and warm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic